What are the various ways that you carry your kukri in the bush?

I will be carrying a pack, wearing an LCE and carrying a rifle. I want secure and subtle. Maybe a sideways small of the back carry, or inverted carry. I have kydex and will make a new scabard for it. 16" AK.

How do you carry yours?

LCE?

http://www.knifeware.com/knresh.html has a sheath mthat may or may not fit for you... i'm planning on getting one or two shortly.

kydex is cool - has a lore of being someone brittle if handled badly, in cold, perhaps a heavy nylon cover for yours (also damp sounds), and put in multi ple molle like loops too - attach a pouch, a second smaller knife (puuko), firestarter, etc)...

bladite

Mostly Cross draw. It must have it's own belt. A lot of complaints about carry can be fixed by removing the khuk from the belt that holds your britches up and giving the blade the strong seperate leather belt it deserves. Naturally, ignore this advice if you have an Alice pack system or one of the newer utility belt carrying system designs
No more weight than 28 oz, and length than 18" If I have a blade that weighs a little less, say 27 or 26 ounces or so, and chops almost as good as the 28, I'd take it. Any ounce plus or minus in this critical sweet spot seems to matter significantly. More than 28 ozs seems to weigh me down more as day goes on.

munk

If it's not ridiculously big, left side cross draw works well on a GI pistol belt. It works even better if the belt's connected to a LBV or suspenders, especially if you're going to be hanging a crapload of other stuff on there as well.

An added bonus is that if it's in the 20-30 ounce weight range (as most of my favorites happen to be) it balances out the weight of a pistol on the right side very nicely.

Make sure that it's positioned properly on the belt and that there are keepers on either side of it to keep it from sliding around. If it's under 18" or so in length and it's in the right place, you ought to be able to take a high knee without getting jabbed by the chape. (If it's positioned really well, a low knee should also be possible as the scabbard's shape will tend to sweep it out of the way of your leg.)

I've never found it necessary to secure the tip of the scabbard to my leg and I've spent some time crawling around through the woods, getting into and out of vehicles, and occasionally running and climbing. If it's a concern, it should not be hard to rig something up. Consider removing or at least dulling the chape just in case.

Play around with it a bit. What works for me may not work for you.

will not be taken with me on Exersizes.

I have tan and black kydex to choose from.

I was thinking left side cross draw, own belt and make the belt loop thick leather so it can move with me. Maybe a lace at the bottom to tie it to my thigh.

I alos need to darken the blade, as much as that is going to hurt!:mad:

An alternative I always found comfortable was to lash the khuk to the left side of the rucksack with the handle up by the top. Carried in that manner, it stays well out of the way until you need it. The draw is carried out by reaching over your left shoulder with your right hand, grasping the handle, and coming on out with it. ;)
Of course when I carried my khuk like that, I also carried a small fixed blade on my trouser belt so I wouldn't be knifeless if I had to ditch gear and beat feet.

Sarge

I've always wanted to pull a blade out the way Sarge described. Backpack, over shoulder, down in front and into action. Never have. No serious backpacking for years is probably why. Lashed to a pack it is not as bold to the 'Atari' generation and their fear reactions. Any weapon on a pack looks like, (as it should) part of the outfit, a tool amongst others. There's the psych thing. And when you need it, mild mannered hiker turned defender has 18" of khuk in his hand and asks the city punk; 'You want my wallet?"

munk

One advantage of the traditional khukri handle that I've not thought about until now - it probably doesn't look like a weapon handle to most people who might see it sticking out of a pack. At least it doesn't scream it. I once saw a guy toting an old style Woodman's Pal with the D guard in a pack - and thought it was some kinda saber at first.:D

One advantage of the traditional khukri handle that I've not thought about until now - it probably doesn't look like a weapon handle to most people who might see it sticking out of a pack." Bri In Chi

Yeah- I agree. Even the pointed sheath, especially with the brass tip left on, is exotic enough that it's not confused with the popular "Tactical" look.

munk

Back