What are these lines?

In my original post i say that i cant feel it with my fingernail which is why i doubt they are cracks.

That's what I meant but I see how I typed it and how it reads ... my bad wording it how I did ...

I have seen the same look but on hand forged blades ...

I haven't stripped many knives ... unless I wanted to take them to a bead blast or a satin finish which eleminated any markings ...

I will be interested to see what Ethan has to say if he pops in.

That's what I meant but I see how I typed it and how it reads ... my bad wording it how I did ...

I have seen the same look but on hand forged blades ...

I haven't stripped many knives ... unless I wanted to take them to a bead blast or a satin finish which eleminated any markings ...

I will be interested to see what Ethan has to say if he pops in.
Ahh i see what you meant now. It can be hard sometimes to communicate on the internet, it was my mistake too.

Last edited:
Pound it into a stump and do some prying. If they are cracks you will see them open up a little.

Otherwise, you have two options. Send it to Kabar for them to look at or just use it and see what happens. If it breaks they will most likely cover it.

Let us know how it works out.

Stupid question: the knife Is now discontinued....worse case scenario the knife is faulty... Now what?
What could KaBar do?
...if they can replace it, they could sell Me one, because I don't have one yet.... Right?

oh i'm sure there's some backstock. maybe :D

the lines are from little steel worms eating their way under the patina bark

You might be more right than you think. I’ve posted pictures of a RCC ww2 Navy knife I re handled before. It is corroded badly in such a way the seller described it as Damascus. You can see layers and lines. Zoom in on the blade. I think the vinegar did the same thing and is showing layers in the steel. Like weld lines.

view

I think to some extent all steel is layered like Damascus but layers of the same steel. Damascus is different steels so the layers are more pronounced.

Last edited:
You very well could be right but I was just wondering wouldn't the grinding process remove any and all scale ?

You have one of a kind.
The mystery of mill scale; I don't pretend to know much about all the mysteries wrapped up in metal, but mill scale is a chore to remove. And every time you raise temperature enough, it reforms. Oxidation and all that. o_O

Stupid question: the knife Is now discontinued....worse case scenario the knife is faulty... Now what?
What could KaBar do?
...if they can replace it, they could sell Me one, because I don't have one yet.... Right?

I broke a BK 4 last year or the year before. I sent it in to kabar with a note about the situation. A week later I was called. They told me they had no remaining stock, but offered me a couple replacement options. I chose a BK 7. I was satisfied.

I broke a BK 4 last year or the year before. I sent it in to kabar with a note about the situation. A week later I was called. They told me they had no remaining stock, but offered me a couple replacement options. I chose a BK 7. I was satisfied.
Wow... You broke one?
I don't remember seeing or reading That post... Ugh!

I'm glad it worked out for you, and sorry for your loss

Did the best i could taking close up pictures of where it runs onto the edge, on this line it zig zags down diagonally to the left and turns slightly to the left on the edge

Its easiest to see if you enlarge / zoom
bgVGTjX.jpg
y1wr4yh.jpg
h8pktit.jpg
8fDinZY.jpg

e1WBH1l.jpg

Did the best i could taking close up pictures of where it runs onto the edge, on this line it zig zags down diagonally to the left and turns slightly to the left on the edge

bgVGTjX.jpg
y1wr4yh.jpg
h8pktit.jpg
8fDinZY.jpg

e1WBH1l.jpg
Running into the edge like that after sharpening really makes it seem like it's in the steel versus a surface issue...very strange. And for what it's worth...the only place you could possibly see "mill" scale on a fully ground blade would be the flats if the company didn't surface grind them. Heat treat scale would show up on the bevels...but this doesn't look like that to me.

~Chip

bgVGTjX.jpg
y1wr4yh.jpg
h8pktit.jpg
8fDinZY.jpg

e1WBH1l.jpg
Nice and clear pics :thumbsup: :poop: You might just want to send it back and have KaBar check it out :( or better yet call see if you send them the pics and ask for advice :)

Nice and clear pics :thumbsup: :poop: You might just want to send it back and have KaBar check it out :( or better yet call see if you send them the pics and ask for advice :)
Thats a good idea, i will try when i get home today. I’ll update with what they say.

ETA: i ended up emailing them, if i dont hear back from them by tonight i’ll give them a call tomorrow.

Last edited:

bgVGTjX.jpg
y1wr4yh.jpg
h8pktit.jpg
8fDinZY.jpg

e1WBH1l.jpg

now that looks more like a defect the way it goes into the grind clear to the edge ... or a delamination of sorts ... but if you can't feel it ... then I am lost on it ... and more curious myself ...

Kabar is sending me a replacement, #1280.
I had a choice between that and the kukri machete. I figured the 1280 was closer to a 4. Also the machete seems short and heavy, i think its almost 2 pounds and an 11 inch blade.

They didn’t say what was wrong with the bk4 yet. If they do i will post the results.

Im happy to be getting a replacement, but i also really want to know what those lines are.

ETA: they said the quality control team is still inspecting it, so hopefully they find some answers. I asked them if they could to please email me if they did.

Last edited:
Back