What are you using for a folder?

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Good day ladies and gents, with some of the upcoming equipment upgrades in the shop we will have the capabilities to take on making folders. So I was curious, what do y'all like to use in different circumstances?

For me, my most used EDC is a spyderco native 5 and then probably the lionsteel bestman 2-blade. I'm a big fan of 2-bladed slippies on opposing ends. The benchmade mini grip was a great EDC but I don't own one anymore. I like to use my protech TR2 often as well and it's really grown on me the past few months, even though it's a little more tacticool than I normally go for.

For around the house, it's more likely I'll carry a sodbuster style slipjoint if my kid is feeling grabby and trying to pull things out of my pockets or it's a millie, a buck 110, or hogue EX04 with the crazy modified wharn blade. The TR2 is high on the list as well.

For outdoors, It's often a cold steel goldeneye, the hogue, or a rajah II if I'm just playing around. The SAK harvest sees frequent use as well. I often grab a fixed blade for this type of use so I don't diversify here as much.

almost every day, there's a SAK Huntsman/Hunter in my front pocket with the car keys
on work days, there's a 2-bladed slipjoint in the wallet pocket along with a streamlight 2xAAA light.

At home, the slipjoint is generally replaced by a hogue ritter or a benchmade griptilian and kabar wrench knife or esee xancudo.
if I'm going to be out in the woods, I may upsize to an ESEE 3HM or BK16 with an ESEE6/6HM, Skrama, or Parangatang, depending on the plan for the day.

I’m pretty much a sebenza guy all the time. I usually also carry a small fixed blade, but I haven’t found an occasion where I’ve been under served by either the small or larger sebi. I have a few custom folders I also like, but for whatever reason, more than 9 out of 10 times it’s the sebenza is in my pocket.

Not counting a SAK (either Tinkerer or Hunstman), if I carry a folder it’s going to be my Sebenza or Para 3. That’s all it’s been the last 3-4 years.

I tried carrying a Mnandi for about 6 months, but it just felt wrong using it to open and/or cut up boxes, so I switched back to GEC before I marred up the blade.
one of these days it'll probably get listed on the exchange.

Been carrying a Bugout nowadays.

It's light, carries deep, it's narrow in the pocket but fills the hand enough for its purpose, has good steel and has a good blade profile.

Some other knives that ride out the door are a Mini Grip with custom aluminum scales, and a couple of Kershaws.

My Uncle bought me this thing... I carry it some days. If/When it goes T.U. I won't replace it, but I carry it out of respect.

41aazMH2DnL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

Usually a Victorinox Pioneer, Buck 110, or a Benchmade Adamas. Sometimes instead of a folder I carry one of my EO1 EDC models in a pocket sheath.

I carry a SAK Compact and a sub 3-inch Laconico EZC.

But my hard work folder is a Shirogorov F3.

I just found Good Knife Co today! I’m working with Chad to acquire a SITREP as my first. I want an MUK to be a companion for it. Looking forward to using and exploring more fixed blades.

But, more to the point, jumping on this old thread about folders: For the last few decades, I mostly carried a Buck 112. Now, I have a PM2 clipped to my Carharrtt’s almost every day. I currently own four PM2’s, and three of those have Lynch NW clips. My first (and still primary) PM2 EDC is a digi camo S30 given as a gift three years ago. My other three are customized with aftermarket scales - two have colorful hardware. One is a Tanto blade. I have two more PM2’s on order in CruWear because CruWear. (When a MagnaCut version comes out I will be required to throw all the others away - I checked, it’s a rule ;) I ordered yet another with Spyderedge to experience what a good serrated edge is all about - might be great?

My main PM2 does not stay sharp for months however, I find I can maintain a wicked edge on the S30V easily. I have learned to like the compression lock. I like to read the tang and be reminded my knife was created on Earth. I do wish these were made with button locks. Going to try a Shark Lock one of these days.

The Millie was a contender but, I prefer tip up. Para 3 feels a little small and the length / height ratio doesn’t work for my large paws. I will admit that I like to use Dragonfly & Lil Native knives as front-pocket money clips.

I have Microtech OTF & OTS autos, expensive overbuilt Medford chunky’s, various pretty little knives and some Emerson tactical blades in the collection. These don’t cut much or get carried often. I do have a Griptilian 550-1 sheepsfoot with the hole opener that I like.

Q: What folder do I actually USE?
A: PM2 plain edge in S30V, daily.

Maybe this old thread will perk up again?

I’m working with Chad to acquire a SITREP as my first.
The Sitrep is a fantastic knife. My knife fund is severely drained right now but when I can swing it, the Sitrep is high on the list.

As for which folder I carry, it varies, as I’m sure it does for many of us. My top two most carried folding knives are the Kershaw Dividend composite CPMD2 blade, and a Franken Para3.

but my Vic Pioneer is my absolute most carried blade. It’s my one true literal EDC. No matter what else I’m carrying that I rotate around, that Pioneer is the one constant.

In the summer I like my folder being lightweight. If we're camping or fishing I'll usually have a Spyderco Salt in my pocket. Around the house or around town it's either a PM2 or Bugout. In the colder months I prefer a solid hard use folder.

I have 4 that make up my regular EDC rotation (used to be 5, but somehow I've misplaced my trusty ol' Buck 110, d'oh!): my PM2 (one of the S35VN sprints) my two variations on the BM Adamas, and most of all, a Bestech which I cannot remember its model name... This last one was a gift from my dear friend PeteyTwoPointOne PeteyTwoPointOne when he learned I went out of work last year. It's crazy that he somehow happened to pick what turns out to be the perfect folding knife for me... full titanium handle frame lock? Check. Clip point? Check. ~4" blade with forward finger choil? Check. S35VN steel? Check. Excellent pivot action? Check. It's my carry approx. 90% of the time.

J8cGPMr.jpg

Last edited:
Back