What are your dirty little knife secrets

Okay, here are mine...I hope you still respect me notwithstanding these horrendous revelations:

1. I own Busses, Swamp Rats, Scrap Yards, Bark Rivers, Fallknivens, Beckers, and my favorite fixed blade hands down is...a Cold Steel SRK. :eek:

2. Sebenzas leave me cold. I've owned a few and still have one small and they don't do anything for me. My Benchmades and Spydercos get all the pocket time, while the Sebenza and even my XM-18 sit in the drawer. :eek::eek:

1. I secretly want a CS Black Sable.

2. I carry a knife of one type or another on me almost every day but I've actually gone weeks without ever using one outside of a kitchen.

3. I can't seem to appreciate my Spydercos no matter how good I think they are.

Last edited:
I only own Kershaw's and ZT's, nothing else! :eek: :eek:

(Total count of both--16 (or was it 17?) )

Right now I'm happy with every single one of them, and they all get used! :thumbup:

I own a Cold Steel Medium Voyager Tanto. With serrations. :eek: ;) :D

2. Sebenzas leave me cold. I've owned a few and still have one small and they don't do anything for me. My Benchmades and Spydercos get all the pocket time, while the Sebenza and even my XM-18 sit in the drawer. :eek::eek:

Me too. I owned a large one for a while and I tried really hard to like it. It's a great knife, but I just never warmed up to it. I finally sold it for a profit and haven't looked back since.

2. I carry a knife of one type or another on me almost every day but I've actually gone weeks without ever using one outside of a kitchen.

That's not a dirty secret. I'm sure everyone here has gone at least one day without using a knife outside the kitchen.

My dirty secret? hmmm... Here's one. As much as I hate them and think they're a joke, I do own a stainless folder with a coated blade. A Camillus Heat. I bought it as a joke because I wanted a "tacticool" a knife as I could as I could find and I thought a black blade and AO fit the bill perfectly. Unfortunately, I ended up really liking the knife and wishing I'd gotten an uncoated blade.

- I thought all Spydercos were junk. I remember their pinned together knives with plastic handles in the 80s with their weird blade shapes and their monster serrations and I thought they were atrocious. I now have a Tenacious, and I was literally bowled over. For 25 years I laughed at people that carried Spyderco - no more :thumbup:

- I have a Gerber Freeman Hunter and it kicks ass. It sat for a long time unused because I had a Gerber Paraframe II purchased about the same time with a sporting goods store gift card, and it was by far the worst knife I ever owned. By far and away. Hated all Gerbers after that, but I bought this GFH knife for $20 on closeout thinking I would trade it or sell it. But after my Paraframe experience, I wouldn't sell it to any friends because I thought one of they would hate me for it. I decided to tear it up myself. It has turned out to be an excellent hard use knife; thick enough (1/8" + ) to use without a worry of bending, comfortable in the hand, takes a great edge, never rusts, and the AUS 8 does a great job at holding an edge. It is now my favorite pack knife. Gerber? :eek::eek:

- One of my all time favorite knives was a gift I received. It was lost when I was crashed into by another vehicle. It was sitting in my truck ashtray when I was hit, and the tow truck boys or the auto shop got it. It was a 25 year old Frost cutlery Wharnie that had a 3" hollow ground blade on it that would take an edge scary enough to send chills up the back of Jack the Ripper. It dulled easily, (the reason it was in the ashtray to remind me to take it in to sharpen it) but was absolutely one of the prettiest knives I had ever seen. Beautiful fit and finish. Better than most customs. Excellent walk and talk. 25 yeas ago, it may have been a Seki, but I don't know. It had an almost smooth white handle that was lightly colored back in the days when they were scorching then hardening stag. Out of all my knives, Benchmades, Spydercos, Case, OLD Puma folders, etc., that was my favorite EDC of all time.

Frost!!! Even though it would be 25 years old now, I am still embarrassed... OK... just a little.... I actually carry whatever I feel like.

But I never carried that Frost to a knife or gun show! THAT would be too embarrassing if someone asked me about my "EDC". Down here in Texas they don't even like the Tenacious because it isn't made in America! Imagine trying to explain away an old Frost. *shudder*

This could be a good thread.... :)

Robert

My dirty secret? hmmm... Here's one. As much as I hate them and think they're a joke, I do own a stainless folder with a coated blade. A Camillus Heat. I bought it as a joke because I wanted a "tacticool" a knife as I could as I could find and I thought a black blade and AO fit the bill perfectly. Unfortunately, I ended up really liking the knife and wishing I'd gotten an uncoated blade.

What's so bad about coated blades?

I like they way they look :3

My SAK is dirty and dusty. I keep all my knives as clean as I can, but I don't care about how filthy my SAK gets.

What's so bad about coated blades?

I like they way they look :3

There's nothing wrong with them if you like them. I just don't like them. They're in that group of things that a lot of people like but I just can't stand (low ride pocket clips are another).

In my mind coatings are for corrosion prevention, and are therefore pretty much useless on a stainless blade.

That said, all of my working fixed blades are coated, but I tend to gravitate towards 1095 in fixed blades, and I use them in some harsh environments (ie, every single time I go camping it rains so I can't always clean the knife up right after use). So those coatings have a purpose and aren't for show.

Actually, I lied. I have another coated S30V knife... Cabela's Alaskan Guide Buck 110. I love that knife and wish every time I use it that it wasn't coated, but I don't have the means to take the knife apart and strip it and reassemble (I stripped the coating from my S30V Buck Hartsook).

But whatever, we likes what we likes :D

I spend more on knives than any of my friends do on rent.

I once bought a dollar store SAK... and *shudder*... loved it :eek:

...Until it broke ;)

:cool:

I easily have 10x the knives my better half thinks I have ;)

I own balisongs and autos and i'm from the UK :eek:

I own a CS tuff-lite :eek: Or at least I did, I havent seen it for a few years so maybe its ok after all :p

All my kitchen knives are cheap china stuff :eek:.

Ok that IS embarassing!

But ...

Looking at all the macho tacticool stuff on the EDC thread - My favourite EDC is pretty much the smallest knife on the market - A gerber LST micro - in 520 steel. Had them for years and love them - I have 5 in a drawer and just grab one each morning. I even imported them to Australia when I was running out of them

And
Amongst the wustorf, swiss, trident, mundial etc my Favourite kitchen knife is made in America and you guessed - Gerber again!! 20 cm cooks knife - gets a great edge!!

But ha! I use my pocket knife almost every day (ahem to dead head roses....)

I' ve got ALOT of expensive folders, but my Böker Trance and Spyderco Tenacious get the most pocket time:eek:

I've spent a ridiculous amount of money buying, re-selling, and re-buying pocket knives, and I have a junk Henkels block set in the kitchen.

One of my favorite little users right now is a SE Byrd Finch (tiny, about 3" total) that came free with my waved Delica.

Spyderco Military with full serrated blade is probably my favorite knife and don't have one at the moment. :(

I have always wanted a CS Hatamoto!;)

I almost always remove blade coatings.:eek:

:D

1. don't like Sebenzas
2. the only Cold Steel product I own is one Sharkie marker
3. despite my $200+ folders, one of my favourite EDCs is still the $30 Magnum Kalashnikov 74

DSCF0090.jpg

Like HAZE and probably many others. I have at least 10 times the knives my g/f or anyone for that matter THINKS I have. Her mom and I were sitting there discussing kitchen knives (my g/f also collects knives:D) and she said "You know you probably have a few more knives than ____ Does" I said......"Um I probably have 15 times or more knives than ____ Does" she was a bit suprised when I pulled out my Lambert folder one day and learned the price.

I also make my own knives, but never post them here and dont really talk about it. I see the great quality of knive's here and though I think my knives are ok, I know they arent great so I tend to keep them to myself until my work improves some more (been doing this for alot of years part time)

On the knifemaking note, Anyone own "The $50 Knife Shop"? I have burnt through more of my moms blow dryers while using that forge as a kid than most women probably go through in a lifetime:D I keep that and about 5 other books right next to my Programming and Database books at work hahaha.

Back