What are your thoughts on Leatherman?

I carried an original Super Tool for 9 years almost every day and would be doing it yet were it not for the Charge TTi. OHT was too useful to pass up, so now it is my go to m-t. After a trial period with Vic multi-tools for a while, was impressed with f&f and all, but returned to Leatherman because for my purposes, they work better. I seldom abuse my tools, so have rarely needed their warranty service, but when a couple of times I did, everything was fixed and returned in ten days or less. Good products, good company.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I tried to cut a coat hangar with my original Leatherman, and mushroomed the cutter head. The pliers never closed all the way again, so I ended up tossing it. My original Wave had the better scissor design, but the newer revision had the screwdriver that worked on my eyeglasses. The Wingman now goes with me wherever I go. Had an original Gerber multiplier, and still have an original SwissTool, but still go to the Leatherman. I never had the SOG Power Plier, but always wanted an original one.

I associated Leathermans (Leathermen?) to a tank.

While I associate SAKs to 4x4 SUV

Didn't think this thread would get so much love, it's awesome hearing everyone's opinions!

Unfortunately, I tried to cut a coat hangar with my original Leatherman, and mushroomed the cutter head. The pliers never closed all the way again, so I ended up tossing it. My original Wave had the better scissor design, but the newer revision had the screwdriver that worked on my eyeglasses. The Wingman now goes with me wherever I go. Had an original Gerber multiplier, and still have an original SwissTool, but still go to the Leatherman. I never had the SOG Power Plier, but always wanted an original one.

I also wanted one and found out they were discontinued
It took me a lot of search and attempts but I finally scored one, and a variation of the model two years later

0Epqnwo.jpg

I wholeheartedly recommend trying to find one, they are awesome. More carried than most of my Leatherman, in fact. :thumbsup:

My opinion based on personal experience:

SOG powertool:
Well built and with its opening gear like system for pliers it can be easily opened one handed.
But trying to get to the blades and accessories is a major hassle so I gave it away.
Gerber MP400
Very easy to flick open and blade access is somewhat of a hassle. Plier cutters get easily damaged if cutting metal wire. (Occasionally carry)

Leatherman charge al:
Very light, easy access to blades and accessories and main blade is 154 cm steel.

And leatherman surge: same as the charge except bigger and heavier. It's built like a tank. (This has been my EDC for 12 years).
Leatherman warranty is outstanding too.

I'm a fan. Three juices (for myself, and my girls), a micra, a wave, and a charge. Currently EDC the charge tti in this little pouch with my phone and a few other small gear items (my daughters harass me and call it a "murse" or a "mouch" :)). I use the charge all the time, I've had this charge for I think 10 years and have never worn out any of the tools yet. I use the bit driver a lot, and the s30v blade is pretty good for light cutting tasks.

Updated to add: I also have a Swisstool spirit. These are incredibly well made, the pivots and locking mechanisms, the ergos, the quality of the tools, to me all fit a slight notch about the Leatherman. But I like both.

I own quite a few leatherman tools. I carry a Skeletool CX quite a bit if I ever think I'm going to need the pliers as well. On the farm I almost always have my supertool 300 on my belt.

Wonderful tools, don't know if they're absolutely the best (I do love the SOG powertools as well) but you just can't go wrong with leatherman really. Would recommend all day.

Leatherman multi-tools (MT)are good. My personal choice for large MTs is Vic, but I would certainly not rule out Leatherman. I love the Leatherman Squirt and have it with me just about all the time. The pliers is mostly what I use.... quite useful for my world. Cut small wires with it often and use the pliers for grabbing small things.

SOG makes a good MT also. I don't think the Gerbers are as strong as any of the mentioned brands, but better than most of the non-brand MTs. I have a couple Gerbers by the way.

I bought a Leatherman Supertool in1995. Still have it and still use it occasionally but not as much as I used to.

Unfortunately, I tried to cut a coat hangar with my original Leatherman, and mushroomed the cutter head. The pliers never closed all the way again, so I ended up tossing it.

I also tried cutting a coat hanger once but luckily I stopped soon enough that it wasn't completely ruined! It has some damage, but it still cuts okay.

I bought a Leatherman Supertool in1995. Still have it and still use it occasionally but not as much as I used to.
I also tried cutting a coat hanger once but luckily I stopped soon enough that it wasn't completely ruined! It has some damage, but it still cuts okay.

?? I don't question your experience, but mine was entirely different. Over a 9 year period I have cut any number of coat hangers with a Super Tool and no damage whatsoever to anything but my palm from the sharp edges of the handles on the few occasions I didn't use a glove or folded over bandana for a pad. Eventually I replaced the ST with a Charge TTi, and no probs with that, either. Thicker gauge steel in your hangers than mine? However, Sharp Steel said his problems were with the original Leatherman (PST?) so that might account for his trouble with the cutters.

?? I don't question your experience, but mine was entirely different. Over a 9 year period I have cut any number of coat hangers with a Super Tool and no damage whatsoever to anything but my palm from the sharp edges of the handles on the few occasions I didn't use a glove or folded over bandana for a pad. Eventually I replaced the ST with a Charge TTi, and no probs with that, either. Thicker gauge steel in your hangers than mine?
Maybe so. I just stopped trying to cut it when I felt it was kinda spongie if that makes sense. I will post some pics of the damage for you on Tuesday. It's currently residing in my tool box at work.

My worthless opinion:
They make what look to be nice tools.
I've always wanted the Super Tool 300, but could never afford it.
I had a Wingman, but gave it to my then boss to save his knife from being used as a screwdriver and other abuse.

My worthless opinion:
They make what look to be nice tools.
I've always wanted the Super Tool 300, but could never afford it.
I had a Wingman, but gave it to my then boss to save his knife from being used as a screwdriver and other abuse.

Your opinion is not worthless.

Wingman, Rebar, Juice, Squirt and Style.
Style on keys and one of the others on belt or pocket every day.
Extremely handy tools! Especially when on a roof without a tool bag! They have saved MANY trips back to the truck!!
Joe

I have carried a pliers based tool on my person since 1999. When I joined thee rowing crew in college, our 8-Man was a cheap bolt together boat. It was a club sport with very little funds, and our boat had to come apart to fit on top of a rented panel van.

Anyway, all of the more experienced guys would whip out a Gerber or LM and start tightening the bolts as soon as we got to the water. I'd never seen one up close before. I bought a Gerber tool for around $20 at Walmart the next day.

Flash forward and I now work as a contractor. I have dozens of tools in my truck, but so many times during the day a MT is just handier than walking back out for a screwdriver. I've lost count how many toys I've fixed, jewelry I've mended, and all manner of days that were saved by having a rudimentary set of tools folded and at the ready on my belt.

I have a ST300 that I keep around the office, but most days it's a very handy Rebar that tags along...or the MUT...or the Surge...or the;)

They are great pliers-based multitools. I keep an old super tool in my car, and a wave for working around the house. Also own a skeletool, squirt which get seldom EDC use, and a style PS which my wife likes to use to trim the dogs paw hairs.
They are a bit clunky for EDC though. Id love to EDC the wave but rarely need the pliers, so ill usually EDC a victorinox fieldmaster, hiker, tinker, or alox farmer or cadet. Or a classic on the keychain if im carrying a regular blade only folder. They are just so much more pocket friendly than leathermans for my purposes. If i was in construction or worked in the woods id carry the wave for sure though.

Over the years, I've owned several Leatherman tools...original Supertool, PST II, Micra, 2 Waves (first one was stolen from out of my car), Blast, Squirt, Pulse, Supertool 200, and another one I forgot the name of. So yeah, I like Leatherman tools!

But along came my Swisstool Spirit. That became my favorite pliers-based multi-tool, ever. When I do carry a MT on my belt, it's my Spirit. But I wouldn't feel 'under-tooled' with a Leatherman.

Jim

Sog Paratool was my first multi tool, followed by a Victorinox Rucksak. The tools on the Sog were hard to access, and I found myself wanting for better wire cutters and pliers with the Vic. The screw drivers were awkward for me for larger jobs too.

I tried some larger inexpensive pliers based multi tools, but they were awkward for using the screwdrivers for larger or longer jobs (e.g. forcing wood screws through a 2×4). I bought an LM Juice and kept it a my go to MT for almost 20 years now.

Since then I've picked up a LM Charge and a few different Vics, but much prefer the Juice S2 for the combination of feel in use, abilities, size, and weight... Although I prefer my old S2 to my new S2.

However, if I was to use the knife most often, I would lean SAK. However, I prefer my LM Crater to many of my SAK MT's... Except when I need a saw, can opener, and/or scissors.

That being said, I usually carry a dedicated knife plus a squirt for my EDC, and I keep a Juice S2 in my briefcase and also in my luggage when I travel.

Back