What arrows do you use for hunting?

mymindisamob

Platinum Member
I have just moved up to Beman ICS Hunters with 4" feathers. Wow! My groupings just tightened like a miracle. These will be my hunting sticks this year. What about you?

I shoot Goldtip Pro Hunter 7595 arrows. I love them. I have shot the bemans in the past and they are great arrows as well! :thumbup:

Last edited:
+1 with the Beman ICS Hunters, black shafts, fletched with Blazer vanes in a Bitenburger, straight clamp with a slight offset. They fly GREAT! For the money there are fantastic shafts & hold up well.

Carbon Express maxima 350 with Blazer vanes.I shoot slicktrick 100 grain broadheads. I love the slicktricks they make a blood trail Stevie wonder could follow.

Mike

300 spine Easton Axis ST's with 4x 2" blazers set in helical with an offset and 125 grain, single bevel, two-blade broadheads or 125 grain Vqarmint Buster blunts.

300 spine Easton Axis ST's with 4x 2" blazers set in helical with an offset and 125 grain, single bevel, two-blade broadheads or 125 grain Vqarmint Buster blunts.

What poundage of bow are you shooting and what is your draw length; Just curious as to why you would need such a stiff and heavy arrow.

as far as arrows go for my set ups: I am currently shooting the Aramid 350, and have to say that they honestly do not shoot any better than the Maximas, however they are a bit tougher, but the maximas are plenty tough. Also got a smoking deal on them, which is why I am trying them out, I did not pay $200 bucks a dozen.

out of my longbow, Phoenix, 46 pounds, shooting cedar shafts, for a 45-50 bow.

out of the recurve; fred bear super kodiak @ 60 pounds, shooting Easton legacy, 2116, or 2216 cant remember off the top of my head, I know they are for a 65-70 longbow (thats what is written on them). They shoot good, just got this one though, and it is a good shooter.

Just an FYI, Easton/beeman makes the cabelas arrows, and the stalker xtremes have the same specs as the ICS hunters.

What poundage of bow are you shooting and what is your draw length; Just curious as to why you would need such a stiff and heavy arrow.
70lb Fred Bear Showdown compound bow @ ~29" draw.

the axis st's are a very tough arrow.

I use carbon or alum. arrows. Either Cabelas carbon hunter arrows or some type of variation of the easton xx75's.

I make my own wooden (cedar) arrows in a 65-70 spine using 5 inch feathers and top them with a 160 grain 2-blade Magnus broadhead.

Easton XX75 2413 with Thunderhead 100 broadheads. I shoot strait vaines. My father shoots helical feathers with an offset as well. Never cared much for feathers.

What arrows you choose depends quite a bit on what bow you are using to throw them. My Howard Hill Halfbreed (60# @ 29") likes heavy wood shafts and Carbon Express Heritage 250s (that I leave cut a bit long).

My son snapped this pic a bit before I was at full draw but meh...

20091214_dc_d02.jpg

I don't hunt anymore...but I do shoot 3-D :thumbup: I use Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 250's w/ 3" blazer vains & 75g tips. They shoot great ! My bow - '08 Ross Cardiac 62# / 30" draw. ExtremeR900 4pin sights w/ .010 pins
& QAD Dropaway rest. It shoots sweet :thumbup: one of the smoothest, easy to shoot bow's I've ever shot !
Picture334.jpg
[/IMG]
Here is a pic of my bow before I changed over to the drop away rest, it has the Wisker biscuit on it & I was shooting Easton Carbon Storms w/ 4" vains
Picture269.jpg
[/IMG]

Lots of good info folks. I forgot to add that I am shooting a Bear Grizzly @ 55#=28". My pull is typically 29.5".

i shoot nothing but wood arrows, that i make out of my bows.. for hunting i shoot heavy wood arrows out of my 58# Chapparral longbow.. they are 60-65# spined arrows tipped with 145 gr. 2 blade Eclipse broadheads..

Lots of good info folks. I forgot to add that I am shooting a Bear Grizzly @ 55#=28". My pull is typically 29.5".

Very nice shooting bow. I would recommend getting some Easton Legacy arrows, they fly good. Only downside I have found with these is that they are aluminum, not a big fan of aluminum shafts, but I do buy these ones.

I like shooting carbons, out of recurves too, but anymore, the weight forward ones don't seem to fly all that well for me out of a traditional stick bow. The Cabelas, stalker extremes, fletched with feathers, may or may not work well, they are not weight forward but I have found they are a hit and miss as well.

just my $.02

Have fun!

CarbonTech Whitetails, Carbon Express Maximas, and Gold Tip Expedition Hunters.
Still using Rocky Mountain Ti-100 broadheads and a Mathews Switchback.

As long as I do my part, they all work great

homegrown, wild harvested wood arrows... with the time and sweat i put in i prob could by them... but i just like them better... stick bows throwin sticks...

Back