What can't you do with an ESEE-3?

Realistically, what cutting job couldn't you handle with an ESEE-3?

How about bushcraft?

What can't an ESEE-3 do?

Last edited:
Chop or baton through thicker wood.
Or skinning a triceratops.

Esees are tough for their size..

So far, nothing. My 3 has done everything I've asked and I swear it would smile and ask for more if it could. The 3 is one heck of a sturdy knife.

so far its tackled:
Fiber glass & Carbon fiber on boat hulls and decking

Making countless fuzz sticks
tent stakes
experimenting with trap triggers
prying apart a small pallet section for kindling
some batoning through pine
fire steel striking
cutting apart water bottles for funnels
garden hose and fire hose
tons of 550 cord and rope all the way up to 1" nylon utility line
and much much more.

mine is still locked in the work truck for the season so I picked up a usmc kabar (mostly because I always wanted one) and I'm not sure which is tougher if you use them right.

Its too small for serious chopping, but does make nice snap cuts when you grip it near the butt on small saplings. Its no axe, thats for sure though

Last edited:
You could cut almost anything with a 3. But, a longer blade is more efficient for slicing larger things, like watermelon, or cutting slices off a large roast. There is a reason why a chef's knife has a 6-8" blade, because it reduces cutting effort. For those that are into using a knife to baton wood, the shorter blade of an 3 would limit the size of the wood you could split.

While I have complete appreciation for a larger knife, I like to carry my ESEE 3 or 4 as my everyday woods knife. An ESEE6 makes a great camp knife, but IMHO it's too big to carry around while hiking, or for a walk in the woods.

SP

An esee knife can never replace a skill set you don't have.

As far as knife tasks go they pretty well cover them all. Good 1095 with a good heat treat is a very capable tool.

I guess the reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to trim weight from my hiking gear. While I like my '4 and '6, I just can't think of anything that I've ever needed to do that I couldn't accomplish with my ESEE-3.

I think that a Spyderco Delica or Endura in my pocket, paired with an ESEE-3 in my pack, will have me covered. I'll leave the '6 at home in the duffel bag for longer trips...

I couldn't think of any limitations with the 3 except batonning large wood which IMO is not absolutely necessary. I went many years in the woods with nothing other than an old Schrade slip-joint. ( Before I discovered this place:D)
I'm trying to shave pack weight also , but prefer to carry the 4 and 6. I'm trying to cut weight elsewhere.

"An esee knife can never replace a skill set you don't have."

That's a very true statement.That applies to any piece of gear you carry.

I guess the reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to trim weight from my hiking gear. While I like my '4 and '6, I just can't think of anything that I've ever needed to do that I couldn't accomplish with my ESEE-3.

I think that a Spyderco Delica or Endura in my pocket, paired with an ESEE-3 in my pack, will have me covered. I'll leave the '6 at home in the duffel bag for longer trips...
I would carry a HEST/F (or the upcoming ESEE-3/F) and a 4. If you're going to carry a pocket knife, the 4 opens up more possibilities with less redundancy.

Or skinning a triceratops.
QUOTE]

I beg to differ, I just skinned a triceratops with my ESEE-3 the other night, of course I didn't have my camera so you'll have to take my word for it....:D

Now it it were a T-rex I'd probably have needed the Junglas.

I can`t think of anything you might want to do with a knife that a ESEE3 wouldn`t excel at .I know many people frown on it but I once batoned aged ash with mine with no ill effect .I am sure it wasn`t even pushing the knifes limits at all. I know many here say batoning is a bad idea and should never be a needed but I learned the hard way once on a riverside camping trip that indeed sometimes there is no firewood to be had at all unless you cut it from live trees.The ash was to cook maple syrup at a buddies house after we started talking about the riverside camping trip and we wanted to learn proper technique for the next time when we would be father than 50 yards from his house...

Last edited:
i bet the esee3 could AID in batoning large wood. you would just have to whip up some wooden pegs/wedges to baton with after the 3 makes the initial split.

i think it may not be long enough for hog sticking.

Like others have stated, I think the 3 is VERY capable. I have batoned with my 3 and really dont see the need to baton anything thicker than the 3 can handle. (my opinion).

Im not a big "chopper" guy so I have never had a need for that. I actually think the 3 makes a really nice bushcraft knife. Its thin short enough to control while making delicate snare releases. It skins small game well. (and I would think it would work well with larger game as well). It is a bit lighter but still has a VERY stout blade.

My 3 (forum knife that does not get special treatment) has done every thing I have asked of it. I bought a 4 originally and really like that knife, but the lower weight, and (in my hands) better balance of the 3 makes it a go to knife for sure.

If you are hiking on prepared trails the 3 (or probably an Izula) would work well for you. It has for me. ;)

Obvious difference in blade length aside, the handle length is sometimes a factor in selection.

From a capabilities perspective, the 3 is an excellent design and very tough; it should satisfy most, if not all, of your cutting needs.

Back