What did I find?

I originally posted this in the "Lost & Found" post but I'm wrackin my brain as to what this is.

Today I found an old slipjoint while hiking. The handles are solid brass with wood inlay. It's an ugly beast about 4.5" long 7/8" wide & 2/3" thick. The curious thing is it has a second blade that I don't have a clue what it's for. It is shaped like a scythe or a letter "j" with only the bottom of the "j" sharpened. It only opens about 45 degrees and is spring loaded so that it snaps shut, a second piece comes up simultaneously when the J is opened and catches on a notch in the middle of the J. This second piece extendes through the handle when it opens to a lever on the opposite side. When the lever is sqeezed, the piece releases the J and it snaps shut. There is a round hole about 4mm diameter at the blade end that runs almost the length of the handle.
Antbody have a clue what this is?

P.S.
The cool thing is it has a convex gring on the knife blade and it's still sharp!

yes, maybe a hoof cleaning tool, seems like i have seen something kinda like that before..........

greg

You need to go to Bernard Levines area and ask him about it, if anyone can give you an answer he can.

With the hook you describe, sounds like it may be a bird knife. The hook being a guthook for field dressing birds.

Is the is edged like a scythe? Kind of like a blade stuck sideways on an arm that goes to the pivot?

The way you describe it, it sounds like a timber scribe to me.

A hoof pick is more like a flat blade screwdriver bent at 90 degrees and most people don't sharpen them, can make the sole of the horse's hoof sore if you dig at it too much. A hoof knife is pretty much straight in line with the handle, with a sideways dish/curve to it and the endbent in a half circle to work like a gouge, chisel ground also.

Here's a pic or a pretty beat up timber scribe, if thats not it I don't know what it is. Could you post a picture?

Matt,
I'm a basic member I can't post but I can E-mail you a scan of a drawing of it if you could kindly post it.

Thanks.

Back