What did you do first day of 14?

TMHunt

Knifemaker/Moderator
Well today starts a fresh new year, what will it bring no one really knows. Let's all hope its filled with good health, good fortune, good friends and some good beer never hurt anyone. ;) Today my day started like many others, I woke, fixed my coffee, took notice of which bones were making noise that were not the day before, and headed out to the shop. As I pondered what the new year would bring for me, I wondered what all of you were doing today too. Nursing hangovers? Still partying for the night before, sleeping in a bathtub? Let's hear it.

After my coffee, I went out to the shop and ground 4 M-18's
2014-01-01154620_zps576bbeb5.jpg

Getting them to this point is a lot of work and took me till about 1:00.

Afterwards, I fired up the oven and heat treated them.
20140101_164135-1_zps814fe43a.jpg
20140101_164140-1_zps074bedbb.jpg

In this pic, my son is on what I call rag duty. Whoever is around at the time when I'm heat treating gets to stand by with a rag. The quench oil that gets on the tongs will ignite when its put into the oven unless its wiped off.
20140101_164010_zps85ab3ff0.jpg
20140101_164105-1_zps15684b99.jpg

As I was finishing this up, my wife was fixing a wonderful meal of Corned beef, cooked cabage and sweet corn muffins. It was chased with a chocolate chip cheesecake that hit the spot. However, the work still isn't done for the day, the M-18s were a little more brittle than I like and needed to be drawn back a few points, so as I type this they are in the oven. But at least its easy work. I'm on the couch now and getting ready to watch a movie with the kids. That's pretty much gonna finish out my first day of 2014. I hope its a good year. For me, for you and for all. Here's to good things..... :thumbup:

Last edited:
I figured you were in bed all day snuggling the pup to make Leo jealous.

Well, the year ended pretty crappy. My wife had to go to work and when she got off, went out to find her tire slashed for the third time since the end of September (we're pretty sure it's a family member that has issues with us). it almost spoiled our new years plans to take the kids to my mother-in-law's house to spend the night, but she came out and picked us up ( she only lives 15 miles away). we spent the evening eating an amazing spread of food from the local deli (subs, chips&dips,fruit, baked desserts, cheeses,etc). we woke up to about 6-8 inches of snow. I cooked a monstrous breakfast of scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes (some call them american fries) and copious amounts of bacon. we laid around lazily all day. I took the boys sledding out back and came in to some delicious homemade hot cocoa. then my mother in law cooked an incredible dinner: stuffed pork roast wrapped in bacon, baked potatoes, cheesy asparagusand homemade chunky cinnamon applesauce. we decided since school was already cancelled for tomorrow that we would stay another night

Not much. Spent the morning helping the wife disassemble the kid's play house in the back yard. They havent used it in the last year and did not care we took it down. Then spent the afternoon sleeping for work tonight.

got up, made a pot of tea, baked some cinnamon rolls (from a can), made a pumpkin cake & some pistachio oatmeal cookies, did a load of laundry.
surfed the net a bit, made 3 axe masks, read a book, watched a couple of bad movies and ate popcorn, went to bed.

Back