What did you do with your Colubris today?

DerekH

Handsome According to my Mother
Our Scout Troop was supporting a local event for the Cub Scouts today, and as we have several new boys, it was time for them to learn to make fire. I figured that it was time to get my Colubris dirty doing some real work, and wanted to see how it would handle. For shavings, it handled very nicely. For batoning, less great, but it still did the job, which just goes to further support my theory that more people should adapt to the tool, and not try to find something that magically does it all well. It worked, and that is what counts.

Anyways, here are some pics I managed to get. Excuse my hideous visage. ;)

10371978156_a090215f6e_o.jpg

10371970565_47d08b252f_o.jpg

10371982986_336b4c2bfd_o.jpg

10372168673_d7ac10c9a6_o.jpg

All in all, it was a great day!

(The batoning probably would have gone better had the wood been better seasoned. This stuff was far from being great. Next time, more time will be spent finding decent wood.)

That's awesome! Thanks for posting, buddy.

Nothing really new to post, I haven't had any chances yet to get outdoors and do anything else with this. Mostly I've just been refining the edge on it (which is code for I have a lot of fun sharpening it so I haven't stopped doing it yet). This knife is so fun to play with, I keep flipping it around in hand and seeing just how sharp I can get it. So far, pretty dang sharp. Had a bit of an issue with about a 3mm section near the sharpening notch being higher than the rest of the edge, so I had to file that down and resharpen there, but that wasn't a huge issue at all. Pretty simple fix, and this thing is so far doing very nicely on holding an edge. The continuous curve of the edge makes it easier to sharpen than most, and it's too much fun to make this thing a razor. Hopefully I will have some chances to get outdoors in the near future with it.

Glad you've been enjoying your blade, pal! Feedback like this helps me make better knives, and know when a particular design is on the correct track.

This week, I'm mostly used mine for yard work, shop work, and opening a whole mess of boxes.

Back