What did you rehang today?

Quinton-I have always figured that my real talent was finding ways to fix up what I, or somebody else, screwed up. If I am at a loss for a color match around the eye, I use the black stick as it matches the patina that most of my axe heads have. This is all hypothetical of course as all my hangs are perfect, just ask me.
Awesome suggestion! Thank you! Since you called me on the crack I've been working up my concoction. I make sawdust through sanding and then add clear glue and make a paste. Then fill with that. Perfect match every time. I've got the sawdust made i just have to mix it and apply it. I'll post a pic once i finish it. I smoothed the edges of the chipped swell before hanging. Must not look like it in the photo. It swings comfortably left handed too.

Vta6wvZ.jpg
tCAkM2h.jpg

It'll lighten up as that glue dries. Thanks for calling me on it oldaxeman. I would've left it open and there's no need of that.
1TaHLGh.jpg

I usually go over my hafts with a palm sander so I will fill cracks like that with glue just before I go over them with the sander being sure I have plenty of glue pressed into the cracks.
If i had planned to fill it initially i would've done that too. That's normally what i do as well. It's certainly a lot easier than making that sawdust by hand last night. Haha. I guess my sandpaper must've had some crap in it because it didn't lighten up once dry. It's okay it still looks better than it did.

Polish vs patina. All of them are nicely restored and very nice overall, however some people prefer just wire brushing a head and keeping the old look instead of polishing them so they look like new. I personally don't care. A nice axe is a nice axe shiny or dull. By the by, I see some nice axes makers in there. Sager, council el lobo, plumb victory, red rover, and a Marshall Wells Zenith with paper over the handle.

edit: ps, I would use a roll pin on the pickaroon Agent H as they are easy to remove from axe heads. When I was in Idaho I rehung a TT FSS boys axe that had a roll pin on its existing haft for a friend and it was a piece of cake to remove and install.

Last edited:
A first timer here and I’m glad to have found this forum!
I’ve got a lot of projects going on this week, here are a few.

Those look great! So, are those blued on the lower right? Or what is the coating?

Also don't tell me what you paid for that El lobo!!!!
You know we had one that we bought around 1990 but lost it over the years. I would never have dreamed that it would be worth so much.

Oh poo pah, who cares if he polishes them.
I totally get the whole patina thing, but we can't decide that wire wheel patina is the only acceptable method to clean up an axe.
Looks like they might just be getting prepped for whatever the dark coating is.

Polish vs patina. All of them are nicely restored and very nice overall, however some people prefer just wire brushing a head and keeping the old look instead of polishing them so they look like new. By the by, I see some nice axes makers in there. Sager, council el lobo, plumb victory, red rover, and a Marshall Wells Zenith with paper over the handle.
I would only remove a natural patina if it had red oxide or was ground and abused.

Me too. I have sorta polished some of mine that needed grinding and destroyed the patina. As a matter of fact, in a few minutes I will be heading out to hang an axe I "polished" after it was welded and the bead was ground flush. Welcome to the forum by the way!

Those look great! So, are those blued on the lower right? Or what is the coating?

Also don't tell me what you paid for that El lobo!!!!
You know we had one that we bought around 1990 but lost it over the years. I would never have dreamed that it would be worth so much.
It’s a forced black oxide coating. Muratic acid, Caswell’s Black Oxide activator and penetrating Sealer.
7JVBxsy.jpg

67IuOxI.jpg

Back