What did you rehang today?

I flame treated this handle to give it some character and blackened the Senior Scout head.
57-EE1523-2155-47-E1-BE52-5-BF9-A1-DBB23-A.jpg

Increasing supply of double bits and next to nothing supply of vintage hafts. And the pure boredom of a rainy weekend. I went and picked up a Truper handle this weekend. I found one that had less than terrible grain. After a couple hours I got it carved down to resemble an oval shape. I probably would have had better luck with a 2x4. But hey, it gave me something to do. All good practice to someday make one from scratch.

Increasing supply of double bits and next to nothing supply of vintage hafts. And the pure boredom of a rainy weekend. I went and picked up a Truper handle this weekend. I found one that had less than terrible grain. After a couple hours I got it carved down to resemble an oval shape. I probably would have had better luck with a 2x4. But hey, it gave me something to do. All good practice to someday make one from scratch.

That's wonderful grain. You'll enjoy using it!

Pre-1930 Kelly Axe & Tool co. Rockaway pattern. 3lb 7.9oz. Refinished it from a pretty damaged state. Hung with a hickory wedge on a 34" white ash helve.
GOO82pP.jpg

A few pre-final hang and some wedge curls..
YwiWlUs.jpg

AtVFDd9.jpg

Hickory wedge is 2-1/2" long in a 2-1/2" deep kerf. Just about perfect!
tBDt47A.jpg

vfKtAZu.jpg

mlaSXsD.jpg

I didn't want to mess up the finish by cutting and sanding the tongue flush so I left it proud just a skosh this time. Used painter's tape to avoid any scratches.
SRFJor2.jpg

Normal pics;
yTxZ1vG.jpg

a9xVFuw.jpg

QZHRhq6.jpg

OAEdfka.jpg
pdNxVzg.jpg

I chose white ash because I liked the contrast with the blued head. But the hickory wedge contrasted nicely too! The wedge being harder really compressed the ash. Good stuff! There's a lot of stored energy there.
H9iciIR.jpg

abzcTPE.jpg

This is the longest I think I've gone without hanging an axe in years! Can't tell you how good it felt to be back at it again. Thanks for checking it out and take care!
e66Hzix.jpg

Last edited:
Back