What do you carry on hikes?

I guess you could call it hiking, but I'd consider it mostly trekking through the forest with my pup, it's been quite a while since I went on a legitimate hike. Either way, I usually carry a folder in my pocket that changes pretty often, but the consistent carry is a Tops MSK(Mini Scandi Knife). It's the perfect knife for that activity. I mostly use it to shave down the spiky parts on random branches I find to toss for my dog. He loves it. Or just to whittle and walk.

Obligatory(old) picture -

jqobsCx.jpg

I guess you could call it hiking, but I'd consider it mostly trekking through the forest with my pup, it's been quite a while since I went on a legitimate hike. Either way, I usually carry a folder in my pocket that changes pretty often, but the consistent carry is a Tops MSK(Mini Scandi Knife). It's the perfect knife for that activity. I mostly use it to shave down the spiky parts on random branches I find to toss for my dog. He loves it. Or just to whittle and walk.

Obligatory(old) picture -

jqobsCx.jpg
Man that is an absolutely beautiful knife.

If I trek into the woods, I always treat it as though I might get stuck out there.

First aid kit, tarp, 50ft or paracord... etc. 99.9% of the time it’s overkill. But I’m the first to admit I’m a total loon. One time it did come in handy when I used the tools to make a splint and hiking staff for my friend who rolled and sprained his ankle when we were 6 miles from the car.

In my hiking bag is a Vic Camper, and a Mora LightMyFire. In my pocket it’s more flexible... sometimes a BM Grip, Spyderco Delica or whatever else I happen to be carrying on me that day.

Usually I have a fixed blade on my hip that, again, is just what I had on me that day. Commonly it’s an Izula2 or BK16.

Last edited:
Man that is an absolutely beautiful knife.

There's actually a few options out there, mine is the G10 model. If I could change one thing, it'd probably be that the sheath is only set up to be neck carried. I usually just toss it in my back pocket. I've planned on making my own to attach to my belt, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Coincidently they have a model called Trekker that's a bit bigger with a leather sheath for belt carry, it's been on my list to buy at some point.

It's been good to me, though. Plus it has some of the best ergonomics of any small fixed I've owned. Just a handy knife for such an occasion. It's beyond capable for only having a 3 inch blade. It gives me that extra security, knowing if something did happen, I don't have to rely on whatever folder I happen to be carrying that day.

On short hikes (less than 5 miles round trip), I will generally have my regular SAK and a fixed blade. The fixed blade has been changing and varies. I just got a White River Backpacker Pro a couple weeks ago and it has seen a little woods time. I seldom use my fixed blade on day hikes; I tend to view it's need for emergency use primarily. But I like fixed blades, so I carry one for potential rougher use needs.

Unless I'm really loaded down with camera gear, I will generally have a small first aid kit, a small tarp or a poncho (or both), bic lighter, matches (in sealed zip lock bag), some cordage, flash light, snacks, a few paper towels, a couple empty zip lock bags (gallon size to fit camera), and a few other things. I'll usually have a light jacket and long sleeved shirt with me if the nights drop below 65 degrees F.

On occasion, I will carry a 14 or 16" machete if it's brushy where I'm going or I believe that I will be chopping or wacking.

I used to carry enough crap to homestead by squatter's rights. 50+ years of never getting really lost but once, never getting into dire emergency circumstances, etc., I never carry more than I have to. Even when I was lost the one time, no knife would have helped me.

Day hikes, I usually only carry one larger folder like I do at work, such as a CS Ultimate Hunter, a RAT1, my old Kershaw Tremor, etc. In my pocket as usual is one of my small stockman knives or something similar to remove thorns, stickers, bug stingers, or open my protein bars. I am much more likely to spend more time figuring out which camera to take along with bringing enough water and snacks.

I realized one day when stopping along a trail to rest where a few younger guys had stopped that I looked ridiculous with all my crap. A large sheath knife, a large folder and a small folder and other stuff. It was a day hike, although with about 20+ miles of trails it was also available for overnights. They asked me how long I was planning to be "out"... they were serious. Perhaps they thought I was a forward search party of a rescue mission, maybe a mapping expedition leader, or I was training for disaster survival.

They were wearing cargo shorts with a couple of water bottles hanging out, had some kind of food bars in their pockets, and were just out knocking around in the 12 mile trail. They liked checking out the large folder I had and agreed it was "cool", but admitted that they usually carried one multiltool between them. They assured me that the multitool took care of everything they ran into. They hiked that park and others a couple of times every week, sometimes more when the weather turned cool as they also like to fish - catch and release in the river.

They asked me in an innocent and not at all sarcastic way if I had ever needed to use all the crap I was carrying and I had to admit I had not. I got to thinking, how many times had I hauled all that stuff around "just in case"? Waaaay too many. Sadly, I hadn't ever noticed just how "prepared" I was. I could have built a shelter, set traps, set up a first aid station, purified my own water, stayed in reasonable comfort overnight if trapped (for some damn dumb reason) in the park, and carried enough instant kindling to start a few fires. A lot of stuff for a 12 mile hike. A lot of stuff for a 15 or 20 mile hike. I felt a little bit like an idiot when thinking all the gear and how little of it I ever used.

So now I hike with the same gear I have when I go to work except I have signal whistle in case I slip in/on the rocks when exploring. A large folder and a small stockman. I take the knives that are the sharpest.

Robert

Depends on the hike...
When the weight is a very crucial factor (e.g. in a 3-day hiking in the mountains - 15 kgr [33 lbs] total weight of the backpack) knives such as Terava Jaakaripuukko 110 (4.3’’ blade, 6.17 oz weight etc.) or Fallkniven F1 (3.8'' blade, 6 oz weight) are perfect solutions. I prefer Terava more than F1.

Other alternative (very light) choices - under the barrier of 6 oz - are: TOPS CUB, Fallkniven F1, Cold Steel Master Hunter....

The above, are being accompanied with the DAK folder (Deutsche Army Knife, the military version of Victorinox One Hand Trekker knife)….

If the weight permits I would like to have my ESEE-6 as a general purpose knife (or TOPS Brakimo, or TOPS BOB), plus my folding knife…

On my day hikes, a full size Benchmade Ritter Griptillian fits the bill. I recently did a long day hike up Mt Whitney here in CA, 22 miles and 6000+ feet in elevation gain (start at 8000 and go to 14000) Anyways it is kind of an extreme day hike, it took me 16 hours total. I carried my Ritter griptillian and a Tops Bob plus water and other gear. 3/4 of the way up I was cursing every single extra ounce I put in my pack, I would have been fine with just the griptillian. On the way down it started to rain, we lost track of the trail... then I started to think we would need t stay on the mountain overnight. That's when I started to think the BOB might come in handy despite its extra weight. We ended up making it out of the rain and down OK. Having to do it again I would pack a Mora Light my fire instead of my Tops Bob

I used to carry enough crap to homestead by squatter's rights. 50+ years of never getting really lost but once, never getting into dire emergency circumstances, etc., I never carry more than I have to. Even when I was lost the one time, no knife would have helped me.

Day hikes, I usually only carry one larger folder like I do at work, such as a CS Ultimate Hunter, a RAT1, my old Kershaw Tremor, etc. In my pocket as usual is one of my small stockman knives or something similar to remove thorns, stickers, bug stingers, or open my protein bars. I am much more likely to spend more time figuring out which camera to take along with bringing enough water and snacks.

I realized one day when stopping along a trail to rest where a few younger guys had stopped that I looked ridiculous with all my crap. A large sheath knife, a large folder and a small folder and other stuff. It was a day hike, although with about 20+ miles of trails it was also available for overnights. They asked me how long I was planning to be "out"... they were serious. Perhaps they thought I was a forward search party of a rescue mission, maybe a mapping expedition leader, or I was training for disaster survival.

They were wearing cargo shorts with a couple of water bottles hanging out, had some kind of food bars in their pockets, and were just out knocking around in the 12 mile trail. They liked checking out the large folder I had and agreed it was "cool", but admitted that they usually carried one multiltool between them. They assured me that the multitool took care of everything they ran into. They hiked that park and others a couple of times every week, sometimes more when the weather turned cool as they also like to fish - catch and release in the river.

They asked me in an innocent and not at all sarcastic way if I had ever needed to use all the crap I was carrying and I had to admit I had not. I got to thinking, how many times had I hauled all that stuff around "just in case"? Waaaay too many. Sadly, I hadn't ever noticed just how "prepared" I was. I could have built a shelter, set traps, set up a first aid station, purified my own water, stayed in reasonable comfort overnight if trapped (for some damn dumb reason) in the park, and carried enough instant kindling to start a few fires. A lot of stuff for a 12 mile hike. A lot of stuff for a 15 or 20 mile hike. I felt a little bit like an idiot when thinking all the gear and how little of it I ever used.

So now I hike with the same gear I have when I go to work except I have signal whistle in case I slip in/on the rocks when exploring. A large folder and a small stockman. I take the knives that are the sharpest.

Robert
How a knife nut can achieve the minimalism?

Last edited:
On a day hike I just bring a Leatherman Supertool 300 and a small first-aid kit.

For over night hikes I bring a Mora clipper and a Carona folding saw.

I'll sometimes being a hatchet instead of a saw but not usually. The knife and saw do everything I personally need. On my last trip I didn't miss having a hatchet even once.

How can a knife knut can achieve the minimalism?

It's really, really hard:D For more than just a day hike, we typically backpack anywhere from 50 to 150 miles. I've really had to down-size my "bladed" tools as everything gets weighed and scrutinized. Long ago, I just simply accepted that I would always have a fixed blade on me when deployed to combat or outdoors. I've gone to the smallest Mora, which has been perfect and have since upgraded the sheath and added a small Firesteel. For a folder, which gets used the most, it's the diminutive Spyderco Dragonfly (now upgraded with the orange handle). I've found the Leatherman mini multitool, the PS perfect for it's pliers and scissors. Those three are what I take for distance backpacking. I've used a Bushcraft SAK in the past, but as much as I love the saw and awl, I just never used it enough and had to cut down on some weight, and it was on the hit list.

For day hikes, I will actually carry more as I often like to test out blades. For distance backpacking, it's minimalist all the way.

ROCK6

Back