What do you guys think of the Case Hunter G-10?

I really like Case knives. My favorite pocket knives are a Case sodbuster, and the peanut. I like the CV, but I have had very good service from thr True Sharp also. Gets me through the day just fine.

But I don't think much of either of those knives. For what they are, they are too high priced, and there is better for what you are looking for.

You mention battoning, so I gather you are going to be doing some bushcraft?

May I suggest the Swedish Frosts Mora knives? In particular the Frosts number 1, I think its called. Its the one with the red painted wood handle, and carbon steel laminated blade. I have one several years old, and its a terrific knife. Don't be fooled by the low price, the Swedish Mora bladed knives are the best buy of the knife world when it comes to sheath knives. I got mine from Smoky Mountain Knifeworks about five years or so ago, and I've used the heck out of it. I've pushed it past what I would usually do with a knife because of the low 10 dollar price tag, I figured if it broke I was not out much. And I pushed it because I wanted to see if the laminated blade thing was all it was hyped to be.

It was.

Go to the survival forum and ask around about mora's or just general use 4 inch bladed knives.

If you want a higher clas knife, another I have had very good luck with is the Canadian Grohman. A.G. Russell has them on his website, and they are really good knives also. About the same price as the Case sheath knives.

I like that design of the first one, but I'll be honest since you mention batoning, Case's Stainless Steel (420HC) with Case's heat treating would not be a knife I would want to baton.

jackknife is right, check out a Swdish Mora at 10-12 bucks, they are had to beat.

condsider this as well BRKT Highland Better steel, better heat treat, better QC - IMO. Only $30 or so more than the knife you mentioned so I thought you might be interested in it.

I've handled some Case fixed blades, and I'm not impressed. The low grade stainless they use is OK for a pocket knife, but I wouldn't want a fixed blade made out of 420HC. It's a pity that they don't make fixed blades in CV.

Moras or pukkos are always a good buy, and for just a bit more money than the orange handled knife you can get a Bark River knife with much better steel (A2) and a scary sharp convex edge. I've been using a Fox River lately and I'm thrilled with it, you can get it with orange G-10 handles if you want to:
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5387

Back