" "What do you guys think of this Sanrenmu?" off topic posts from other thread"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oreo is the sanrenmu of the cookie world!! Ya learn somethin' new every day. Well I think I'm gunna cut down on the Oreos, but mostly cuz I wanna get rid of this gut. Too bad benchmade doesn't make cookies...

Sanrenmu does not make many, if any "cheap copies of American knives". They may make lookalikes and may have made clones, like Oreos. Many American companies have engaged in shady practices in the past as well. Do we forever boycott them? More to the point, do we then forever revile and trash them and not let anyone discuss them without shouting them down?

Look, the thread will get shut down soon anyway. Like all do that don't end with trashing Sanrenmu.

Oreos weren't clones, they were competitors. From my research they tasted different and only looked similar.

But cookies aren't knives, looks are actually an integral part of the design of a knife, and copying the look of a knife is much more serious of an act than copying the look of a cookie.

Sanrenmu makes Sebenza clones, they aren't marked 'Idaho Made' but they look identical. If they had stopped making those in the past it'd be easier to say they turned a new page in their knife making, but since they are still making an selling those copies it's a bit harder to ignore.

American companies who pull the same moves get called out and have a much higher attrition percentage due to having the ability to be sued. Most American companies that copy designs are pretty widely shunned on this forum.

hqdefault.jpg

More of a lookalike than a clone. Oreos looked identical and tasted similar. These look similar but have differences. No one would mistake a 7010 for a sebenza on anything but the most cursory examination.

hqdefault.jpg

More of a lookalike than a clone. Oreos looked identical and tasted similar. These look similar but have differences. No one would mistake a 7010 for a sebenza on anything but the most cursory examination.

I'm seeing we do have very different views on this subject, so I'll leave this thread be so it won't get off-topic.

hqdefault.jpg

I have no dog in this fight. Ill just say it like it is.

The sanrenmu 7010 is an awesome little knife. Its very similar to the sebenza, but its not a copy. Counterfeiting, and copying designs is bad mojo, its not good for our community.

But I'm not gonna lie, the 7010 is awesome. Got one a long time ago for 8$. Gave it to a friend, he's been abusing that thing for 5 years and its still holding up strong.

hqdefault.jpg

My opinion exactly. Did the same thing and bought a 710 to compare to my small Classic XX. Similar? Yes. Any attempt to counterfeit or misrepresent? No. A decent product for the price. Don't like it? Don't buy it.
This isn't going to put CRK out of business.

Companies like this make clones so people like me can have a style of knife that costs 400+ at an affordable rate. I'll never afford to buy a CRK. Hell I probably won't ever get a ZT or a BM. But ganzo and sanrenmu allow me to see what the style is like. So I FULLY support this. And yes. I have morals. I even served the great us army. I don't believe it's immoral at all. It's someone taking the best and making it affordable. A wonderful thing.

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

I just think they are a decent knife in decent steel at a decent price. I wish they made slipjoints.

They do have darn good models and not-so-good models. That's why I'd like more input on them.

hqdefault.jpg

Nobody in their right mind would confuse one with the other, even from this faraway picture...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, as long as the logo is not there and the resemblance is not so close as to be deceptive...

Gaston

Companies like this make clones so people like me can have a style of knife that costs 400+ at an affordable rate. I'll never afford to buy a CRK. Hell I probably won't ever get a ZT or a BM. But ganzo and sanrenmu allow me to see what the style is like. So I FULLY support this. And yes. I have morals. I even served the great us army. I don't believe it's immoral at all. It's someone taking the best and making it affordable. A wonderful thing.

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

Nice. You support counterfeiting.

Nice. You support counterfeiting.

That word doesn't mean what you think it means. Or what you want it to mean. I defy you to show an example of a counterfeit sold by Sanrenmu.

If CRK can't compete, too bad for CRK. Life is tough. If CRK has intellectual property it feels has been infringed upon, it's up to CRK to take action to punish the infringers. Thems the rules that helped make America a powerhouse. Get over it.

I know... boo hoo... Free markets are immoral! :D

I just think they are a decent knife in decent steel at a decent price. I wish they made slipjoints.

They do! A surprising amount are slipjoints. Pretty good ones, too. What they don't make is (what bladeforums considers) traditional knives.

+1 on that

20150904_112724_Burst01_zpsvledhz1n.jpg

I have nothing to say in this fight, but I gifted two of them and they were so nicely received that they could've been ten times the price and the result would've still been worth it.

20150904_112654_zpsgjnwhuhi.jpg

I'd say try out the HARNDS Nyx for a very similar knife, I'd say even more value on this one than on the SRM.

20150727_171819_zpsavt4vatb.jpg

20150902_085209_zpsv7ysw7gg.jpg

Cheap, but nice looking and true performers.

That word doesn't mean what you think it means. Or what you want it to mean. I defy you to show an example of a counterfeit sold by Sanrenmu.

I guess you missed the part where the guy mentions other companies besides SRM. When the patented lock of a company is stolen and the trademarked named used to describe the stolen lock is used by the thieving company, that would be counterfeiting. You pro theft people sure do come up with odd ways to try to justify not being able to afford what you really want.

And with that, back on to ignore you will go. Would it surprise you that I've had you on ignore since the last time you justified counterfeiting? It shouldn't. Not that I don't want to see what you will try to say, just as a reminder to not listen.

New guy on the forum, knife noob compared to most, but here are my thoughts.

Lookalike knives are no different than any other product. Some people act like there really is something like "intellectual property" when it comes to a tool that has been produced with great similarity of styles and materials for CENTURIES. If you think anybody alive today holds a special patent on a blade shape, you're only kidding yourself. Sure, some makers are the first to do things sometimes, but let's get real.

Do you know that Chris Reeve was the first to use the frame-lock design? OK, now did you know that he did not invent the liner-lock design in which his was just a variation of somebody else's idea? Did CRK ever credit the patent holder of the liner-lock? Is it OK because he's American instead of not?

How about that Axis-lock that Benchmade came up with. How many people are willing to admit that lock mechanism was actually pioneered by Sam Colt a century ago? It's basically a revolver's cylinder release! But no, that's OK because they put it on a knife before anyone else did. Now does it matter to you if Ganzo uses a similar style? It is in fact structurally different internally enough that it would not be considered patent infringement in the USA. Blade to lock-bar profiles are slightly different, and the springs are different and even attach in different places.

Now how about all the spring assisted opening knives out there? If you know your history, even if just from TV & movies, you should know that it was the Italians who gave us that. Are they out here crying that Benchmade copied them? I'm genuinely interested to know.

It's not rocket science here guys. There are only so many blade shapes, locking mechanisms, and open assist styles, then we're stuck mixing and matching with tiny variations.

As far as clones go, all politics aside, the main thing is that you go into a purchase with a budget. I purchased a Sanrenmu 7010 at the multiple recommendations here on BF and couldn't be more pleased with my $8.99 investment. I wanted a budget knife, not a high end work of art. In no way was a CRK Sebenza a consideration, so my purchase takes zero away from CRK. On top of that, owning the SRM does not replace that desire for a real Sebenza. I'd love one, just don't have $500 to spend right now. If anything, the clones being a high value low cost purchase is good for the expensive makers. I like many others will grow fond of the design, and being happy with the lower quality makes the original seem all that much more appealing. I definitely appreciate being able to try a cheap option out to see if I like a blade style, lock style, or other feature that I'm not familiar with.

Another thing I have to wonder about is the fact that Sanrenmu makes knives for some American companies. What is the real difference between the Sanrenmu manufactured Byrd Cara Cara 2 in 8cr13mov steel selling for around $22 and the Sanrenmu 7010 with the same steel, same factory, same people making it for $9. What do I get for the $13? A warranty? If the SRM epic fails (which I doubt) I can buy another and still be ahead.

I don't like counterfeits or copies. I don't really have a position either way on the knives being spoken about. I buy mostly spyderco's, BM's, ZT's, and customs. I have purchased a rough rider large toothpick, because I wanted to get a feel for a toothpick that size for a possible custom job I wanted done.

Do people share this unfavorable opinion of Rough Rider knives? I knew nothing about them when I bought the knife and fully expected it to be garbage, but it's pretty solid for what it cost me. I would rather see people buy from reputable companies and makers, but I also understand why people are drawn to spending very little money on a knife to try it out.

I don't know, I guess the animosity has me a bit confused but I also sympathize. Don't want to support anything that is a negative impact on the knife community but I also want it to grow and be accessible for everyone. Hard area for me to have a definite opinion on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cray, Arm, and DAV if you guys want to talk about the real disgusting part here, it's the fact that our classic American knife manufacturers are outsourcing in the first place. See, when I was a kid in 1990 I dropped $30 that took forever to save up to buy a Kabar hunting knife. It looked so good in the display case with Cleveland, OH stamped clearly on the blade. When I got the box home and opened it up, eager to show off my quality American steel, WTF did I see stamped on the back? Hong Kong. I was almost physically sick and felt robbed.
Nowadays, I get the business side. Maybe you don't fully get it though. If I'm going to buy a $7 China knife because I need a beater to abuse and lose which happens, I'm going to pay $7. I have ZERO desire to pay $30 to some greedy American who is paying $5 for literally the same China knife with their logo stamped and a warranty that I will likely never use. If the warranty is worth it to you, go for it. Not my thing. And if you give that crap about the extra $25 going to support a fellow American, I have a perfectly reasoned stance. I save that extra to support my own family.
Now on a tangent, I had never considered Spyderco knives based on looks alone. I always thought that they were odd looking. I bought a Syderclone from the Dollar Tree of all places to literally test a grinding wheel at work. After a test run of reprofiling the edge and playing with it, I decided that an Endura 4 is going on my wish list. This is a solid reason that the cheap clone has a place. The clone is a way to try something new without dropping what a lot of people consider to be a substantial sum of cash.

Cray, Arm, and DAV

I was actually saying that Craytab's (and Armadew's) constant baiting in any thread concerning these Chinese companies was pitiful. I thought we were discussing various Sanrenmu knives but I guess someone said the G word in passing.

I just gifted a 7010 yesterday. I usually keep a few on hand for that purpose. Great knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back