What do you think about the STRIDER axe?

Midget

Gold Member
Hey axe, tomahawk, and hatchet forumites. I'm pretty new to the concept of axes and hatches, so you'll have to be patient with me.

What do you all think about the production Strider axe?

str_axe-small.jpg

Does it look like its worth 475 to you? What do you suppose are the benefits of the chisel grind and S7 tool steel? What would you use something like this for?

Just curious. Thanks!

Midget said:

It satifies all the perceived chopping needs of a Mall Ninja

Does it look like its worth 475 to you?

No

What do you suppose are the benefits of the chisel grind and S7 tool steel?

S7 Good, Chisel grind, bad. If the Swedes dont do it, its not worth doing.

What would you use something like this for?

Impressing other Mall Ninja?

I think I would like the handle to be a bit longer. Paracord handle looks functional. I would have to play with it a bit to make an honest call.

Best
Dwight

Midget said:
Does it look like its worth 475 to you? What would you use something like this for?

Just curious. Thanks!
Code:
Edited for abrasiveness.
Doug:)

I'm not really up on strider, but they have a good rep. I wouldn't pay 400 plus for an axe when there is cheaper ones out there. Ones that are just as good or better. Look at some hays axes or K5 if you like the all steel construction like I do. This looks too pretty to really use anywhere, and at 475 It's more of an investement or showpiece than a tool. If you don't care about destroying a 400 dollar axe I would bet it would be a pretty functional camp axe.

forrest long said:
I would bet it would be a pretty functional camp axe.

Dont bet money, if you like sore hands and unsticking it from logs then it will be perfect.

A GB would outclass this so many times it would be ashamed to show its face.

If I was going for a similar piece, I would get a custom axe done to my specs by Ranger Knives- using the same steel, better handle materials,(paracord is cheap-o generic) and at a much lower price. Striders seem to be just a tad overpriced,;) and there is a definite mall ninja air about them. (not to say they are not quality tools, but they are just not my style.) Some of the folders look pretty nice. I don't think a chisel grind would be good on an axe, and the arbitrary speed holes look silly.

Midget said:

Yes, since it will readily sell for that price.

S7 is a shock steel, designed for high impact toughness, it is a solid choice for such a tool, it is however a very cheap steel both to buy, grind and heat treat. It is generally recommended to actually reduce cost, see Bryson for example.

Chisel grinds are used on various types of wood cutting axes to allow specific shaping such as square hewing logs. In the tactical community chisel grinds have been promoted for creating greater wound channels there is a lack of any actual data presented. Visually they appeal to a lot of people.

To exchange for $475.

Temper said:
Chisel grind, bad. If the Swedes dont do it, its not worth doing.

Swedes chisel grind wood working axes (and knives) all the time.

-Cliff

i see. thanks for the input.

just wondering what you all thought.

i like it.

Midget said:
Hey axe, tomahawk, and hatchet forumites. I'm pretty new to the concept of axes and hatches, so you'll have to be patient with me.

str_axe-small.jpg

Does it look like its worth 475 to you? What do you suppose are the benefits of the chisel grind and S7 tool steel? What would you use something like this for?

Just curious. Thanks!

Haven't heard about it before this, but in order...

1) I wouldn't quite go far as to say that it's aimed at the Mall Ninja market, since it's priced waaay out of what's typically the Mall Ninja price range. However, it appears to squarely target the wealthier end of the Armchair Commando market. It certainly does not appear to target the People Who Need/Use Axes For Axe Applications market.

2) I wouldn't pay $475 for it, no way. Given that it's Strider-branded, some people certainly will. I'd take the $475 and go nuts at my local Gransfors Bruks dealer, and maybe get a LaGana Vietnam 'hawk if I had enough left over.

3) They're of relatively limited to marginal benefit, I would think. Axes are one of the oldest parts of the human toolkit. We have them figured out pretty darn well. Their basic design (big thick blade on a stick) means that they do not need UberSteels or fancy grinds-du-jour in order to accomplish their intended purpose, which is to cut or split wood, butcher game, or seriously f*** up your enemy (all materials that are much softer than even crappy steel). They're all about mass and kinetic energy, and can be spectacularly dull by knife standards and still do the job. So long as the head is properly profiled, even fairly marginal steels can serve, although something that loses its edge quickly is always a real pain in the butt. So the performance bang for the buck of using an UberSteel is limited.

I'm a little sceptical about the grind. All my axes, currently a couple of tomahawks, one for throwing and one for camping, and a six-pound splitting maul, have convex grinds. They work fine for their intended purposes.

Lastly, I'm not entirely certain that the handle would be all that comfortable for prolonged use.

3) Possibly tactical/LE applications, like tactical entry?

I love it...and all strider gear is expensive, but I would take the emerson cqc-t over pretty much anything on the market. I wouldnt give 475 for this though...I would take a k5 and use the difference for another TOPS knife (yes I am a bit of a tops fan)...assuming I couldnt get a emerson cqc-t....

I'd definatly take the ATC VTAC over this axe. Strider is a good brand and all and if your into Strider a whole lot sure it would work, but for $475...I'll pass. Atleast with the VTAC you can throw the mofo also. I would even take the CQC-T over it even though it is designed more as a weapon than a tool lol.

I would not give $475 for it (even if I had it):eek: In the real world I dont think it would do that much better than other axes that are alot cheaper. Besides if I gave that much for something I would probably not even use it for fear of ruining its value. I do like how it looks though. I like Stiders their just too rich for my blood.

john

Temper said:
Midget said:

It satifies all the perceived chopping needs of a Mall Ninja

Midget said:

No

Midget said:

S7 Good, Chisel grind, bad. If the Swedes dont do it, its not worth doing.

Midget said:

Impressing other Mall Ninja?

What he siad. Looks like Strider is just out to make a quick $475 from a few Marketplace Ninjitsu Practicioners.

well, the general consensus is i'm a mall ninja then, which i'm ok with.

i've got one on preorder from tad, i'll bring back with some pictures upon its arrival.

thanks for the input everyone.

Midget, don't let the intimidated haters get to you. Apparrently I'm one of the only guys around here that
1) has actually served in combat and knows first hand how much steel is worth, and/or
2) isn't intimidated by the general superiority of Strider products.

Good on Cliff Stamp for being one of the few posters around here who actually backs up his statements with something more substantial than some lame "I saw a green beret on tv once, and he didn't have a strider" comment.

First, S7 is about the best steel for a tactical Hawk. This indicates that the Strider Boys know what they're doing. I've made this stuff work in Baghdad, and I was amazed at how it ate up automotive steel without edge damage. Hawks + S7 = Good. Hell, even brilliant super-high-end hawk makers like Crag Camerer know this.

The design. You got me there, I can't get into chisel edges and probably wouldn't use this one if it was issued to me. I'd give it away and use my Justin Gingrich or K-5. But just because it's not for me doesn't mean it doesn't have a very valid application. And I'd be happy to have it elsewhere on my team.

The Price. I think this is what sets the posers off the most. Bottom line, while the Hawk may not be worth that, the Strider Boys are. If you're so lame that you don't know that your (retail price) money subsidizes knives going to troops then, I don't know, go sharpen your 420J2 or something.

Here's 3 guys that carry Striders
c7362a61.jpg

BTW, just for the record: other than my own, I've seen 3 other Striders in combat. Two were handed to the individuals by Mick or Dwane, with a request to use them. The third guy didn't pay for his, and left it at that. That's 3 for 4, including my own. Not bad.

Oh, and those guys just above, they aren't mall ninjas.

The price certainly will throw a lot of people considering the market in general. I would certainly not pay that price considering Justin's products, but I don't fault Strider either for selling their product at the maximum price they can get. There are very few people if the next day they walked into work and their boss said "I am going to give you a 50% raise." would reply "That is way too much money, I'll only take a 10% increase." I would like to see more maker commentary about the designs in general, that sharpened underside would make me not carry it, I would just see my hand constantly in risk of contacting it though it obviously has numerous applications. I would be curious if it was center head balanced.

-Cliff

Wow! Cool! Yeah! Wow! Cool! HaRdKoRe! Wow! Yeah!

Muwahahahahhaaaaaa! Some people will fall for anything.

Mick went to Iraq or Afghaniland and gave out knives ? ;)
I reckon at $475 for a 30 dollar hatchet that's do-able.
The handle is quite a piece of art.
Maybe the custom shop could do one with leather for another few hundred..

Back