What do you think is the coolest CRKT knife?

Originally posted by sophijo
What do you think of that CRKT, is it the CS2?....small titanium frame lock?

I got mine for a great price so for that I give it a thumbs up seeing as it is a framelock Titanium handle with ATS 34 blade.

However it does not get carried too often because of the weird clip design and placement.

No problems with QC and workmanship though.

I've got a Neck Peck and a Bear Claw. I've never used the Neck Peck as a neck knife. I wrapped the cord around the handle and have used it around the house quite a bit. I love a wharncliffe blade.

I've never really used the Bear Claw for anything practical, but I bet it would be a mean little blade for self defense or rescue. I've got the fully serrated blade and I usually keep it beside me in the car if I'm going out late at night or for a long trip.

a spearpoint M-16-03Z for a couple of years. Good knife. I beat the snot out of it and it's still pretty solid. I've been looking at the little neck Peck for keychain carry. Looks handy.

Frank

I like the look and the feel of the Lake Series. I examined one at a recent gun/knife show and found it to be well made and very solid. However, I've got to admit that it seemed a little like a Sebbie ripoff but that may have just been the lanyard.

My favorite CRKT knives are the Mirage Grey Ghosts and the D.O.G. They are great knives...especially the Grey Ghosts considering how cheap you can get them.

CRKTs I like:
- KFF ('nuff said)
- Urban Shark (beautiful lines, solid)
- Ryan No. 7 (refreshingly "different" design, nice wide blade)
- Ryan Plan B (again a very cool design; small, but not too small)
- M16 series (just great knives with top ergos)
- Neck PECK (nice and sheeple-friendly little knife; gave one to a sheeple lady friend of mine and she loves it)

CRKTs I dislike:
- Serengeti Hunter (nice idea, but it looks ugly as hell)
- Pesh Kabz folder (I just don't like that design)
- Wrangler (looks as nice as cheap scrap metal folders do)
- KISS tantos (the tanto version has a weird blade geometry)

1) CRKT BearClaw

Got this one as a gift. I wore it every day to work at a feed store where it saw heavy use cutting open bags, rope, coming in contact with sand, gravel, mulch, and god knows what else. Its got a nice handle and most people don't notice it carried horizontally on my belt, and when they do they dont know its a knife till I use it. I've carried that for about 2 years.

2) CRKT BladeLock (The original)

Bought this one myself because of my fetish for knives that are anything but liner lock or lockback. Again this saw use for over two years at the feed store. The other fun thing is that when I handed it to my co-workers when they didn't have a blade it'd take 'em 5 minutes to figure out the lock. The only problem I had was when I ended up sliding on my bicycle, I landed on the side that the knife was clipped to and scratched the clip and bent it a bit. I cant find a Torx wrench to fit the screws to get it off and correct it. That has been supplanted by my SOG Flash 2, but my girlfriend now carries it until I buy her a Blade Lock II and she seems to like it.

Take it from a broke ass college student, CRKT makes knives that will stand up to hard use for a really good price.

Ihave 3 M16 grey ghost and Commander.Not to sure of the commander it has ike stamped on the blade may be some could help out there picked them all up on ebay dam good knives for the price all around $16 the M16 has a tendency to lock up firm after hard use but i do like the grey ghost

The Urban Shark is the coolest looking CRKT knife. If you want to give someone a COOL gift, give them a JAWS (my favorite movie) DVD and an Urban Shark knife. The gray scales of the knife go great with the cover art on the DVD jacket.

My favorite CRKT is the Large Mirage Grey Ghost. They are well built and are inexpensive. These folders make great users or gifts. Sadly, I never saved any for myself. :(
Does anyone know where I can still find one?

#3 Point Guard. I've never seen Zytel done so poorly. What a mess!

why is that so? i don't know, but i did handled one (the small version) on a B&M store and loved it .. then i ordered a large one, but haven't arrived yet.

Not sure how it ranks in coolness factor, but I believe the Companion offers perhaps the best value in a CRKT. Others I've been impressed with are the Ryan Plan B and the Neck Peck.

Originally posted by BaliSwinger
why is that so? i don't know, but i did handled one (the small version) on a B&M store and loved it .. then i ordered a large one, but haven't arrived yet.

Well, ya know how when something comes out of a mold and it has little wings where the mold fit together? The Zytel had a lot of that. Especially in the holes and slots cut out of the handle. They were partially filled in with thin wings of Zytel that needed cleaned up. I probably could have fixed the whole thing in about a half-hour with an X-acto knife if I wanted to.

I've had my M16 for several years now. Bought it before they started producing them with the "flipper." I'm not sure what the author of this thread is talking about because I have never had a single locking problem with this knife. Since day one it has been smooth. And maybe I'm just too used to it but I love the thumb stud. I've tried the new versions with the "flipper" and they get in my way. I'd probably bench grind it off if I bought another one.

You can even open bottle caps with this knife. I was at birthday a party a few months ago where they were serving Martinelli sparkling cider and for some reason no body had a bottle opener. It was kind of a dressy party so my multi-tool was left at home. I ended up opening about thirty bottles using just the M16 belt clip. Never even opened the blade. I hope I educated a lot of people that night on why knives are primarily tools and not weapons.

fulloflead: thanks, i understand. So it's more on cosmetic rather than build / strength of construction

bullwhip: how did you do that? Sideways?

Yes, sidways nearest the three attachment bolts. I had the clip facing down and hooked it under the lip of the cap. Then I used the top of the cap as a fulcrum against the handle and worked my way around until the cap popped off.

Well the Point Guard is AUS6M the interframe design.
The KFF Pro is AUS8 with one liner.
I don't own a Point Guard, although I have handled a few.
I do have the KFF Pro, just got it last week.
It's very nice, very sharp and very light.
Other than the diff.'s stated above, all things cosidered
equal (aside from design preferances)I think they are
both good models.

Back