What do you think this might be?

I've had this axe head sitting around for a while, waiting its turn in the restoration queue. Now I'm thinking about giving it to a friend and I wanted to see if I could learn a little bit more about it first. I know it's a Collins and 3.5-lbs, but beyond that I'm not sure. I'm thinking it looks a bit like a Michigan pattern, though it's a fairly long one if so. I also couldn't begin to guess at the age, though the amount of pitting makes me think it's more than 30 or 40 years. What do all you folks think?

weathered_collins_01.jpeg

weathered_collins_02.jpeg

Can you post top down picture of the eye. And possibly another one that shows surface inside the eye . Thanks
I've had this axe head sitting around for a while, waiting its turn in the restoration queue. Now I'm thinking about giving it to a friend and I wanted to see if I could learn a little bit more about it first. I know it's a Collins and 3.5-lbs, but beyond that I'm not sure. I'm thinking it looks a bit like a Michigan pattern, though it's a fairly long one if so. I also couldn't begin to guess at the age, though the amount of pitting makes me think it's more than 30 or 40 years. What do all you folks think?

weathered_collins_01.jpeg

weathered_collins_02.jpeg

Lack of have high centerline points to later models. I think it was still made in Connecticut not Pennsylvania. Pre-1966???

Last edited:
The later mann made collins axes had the M stamp - like M 31/2 - and I've got one of those from probably the early 90s - and its less refined than the OPs head. So I'm going to say that his axe is from the 70s or 80s.

the amount of pitting isn't a good indication of age, just an indication of how well it was cared for.

Back