What do you typically use your knives for?

Basically I was employed a few months ago at a meat market and I have always had a healthy interest in knives, but in the last few months after many stories and basic needs I have been drawn to knives.

I basically have been using knives for cutting meat and my Swiss Army for some chores around the house.

Welcome to the forums.
I use my EDC knives for EDC chores. Whatever needs to be cut through the course of the day.

Paul

my edc chores are:

opening boxes
cutting some plants in the garden
opening sacks of mulch
opening packages of chips etc.
making my lunch(hopefully I wash it every now and again)
triming some posters or office type materials
whittling a little bark here and there
possible self defense against dogs or whatever
cutting rope or string
sometimes I use the handle to push thumb tacs into wood

Usual EDC chores for a folder I have on me:
-Opening boxes
-Cleaning nails
-Opening food packagaing
-Cutting string
-opening and closing the knife
-cutting lose threads

pretty much anything where a knife would be handy.

The most important task for a knife is to open packages containing other knives. After that it's a toss-up between being sharpened too often or cutting my fingers.

the number one reason i carry my EDC: comfort

i go berserk if i'm not packing anything, which happened today, thank god for BOK and his back glove compartment knife :D

that and mostly cutting open boxes, around the house, practicing, a selling point and so on

aXed

ps: welcome nawrocki!

Well the most used knife in my collection is not really a knife per se. It's the Gunting drone. Used for practise drills only.

But for an edged knife they seem to cut mostly cardboard boxes and a lot of tape lately. Always opening packages at work and having to open and then flatten boxes.

The Big Spender that will soon reside in a mission wallet will be for paring fruits, cutting up steak etc etc...

the Big Spender works really well when cutting Salmon burger eh? (cuz we were too cheap to order two entrees :D )

aXed

Nawrocki,

Welcome to the forum. You've just made 17,000 new friends.

In the last few weeks I've used my EDCs to:

Cut & shape a hiking staff
Open coffee packs
Prod Shore Crabs in a rock pool on a Scottish island
Clean gunk off a bird feeder in my garden
Prepare a chicken salad
Open mail
Spear a raspberry floating in a glass of champagne
Perform minor bicycle adjustments on a day trip
Slice lemon for a gin & tonic
Trim my nails & moustache

Etc.

How can anyone survive without knives?

maximus otter

Without a doubt, more that 90% of my use is opening mail (and that includes UPS boxes) and trimming threads.

However, it's that unexpected 10% that has me carrying knives of quality.

mail, tape, packing straps, labels, thread, Powerbar wrappers, that terrible sticker CDs are sealed with, the plastic that everything at Target and Wal-mart seems to come in, tags, whittling, bread, jerky. That is pretty much any given week. In extremis I have opened a restaurant sized can of olives with an EZ-Out (BOTH of the counter-top mounted can openers broke) and cut radiator hose/ trimmed gasket material with an M-16-03Z. I wont even go into the things I've done with a multi-tool and an SAK.

Frank

Hunting duties - gutting, skinning, boning
carpentry
wire stripping
basic utility chores - opening packages, cardboard, rope, etc.
camping - food prep, firewood, site prep
trail clearing and brushing
office chores

Have one (at least) on me at all times. I agree with maximus, how the hell does a normal person function without one?
:confused:

Back