What edge angle on Aus 8 for SD?

Hey guys,

I bought a large Cold Steel Espada purely for self defense (carry a small Swiss Army for general tasks). I'm thinking the Espada came from the factory with about a 48* inclusive edge, correct? If so, I improved upon that edge with some 3M wet-or-dry sandpaper and the thing is pretty damn sharp now. I've read where a lot of people put 40* or even 30* inclusive on Aus 8, but would that be wise for a self defense blade using Aus 8 - where I may encounter bone?

And sorry my first post is of a graphic nature.

Thanks guys

If you want something for defense. Carry a gun. It works better and there's a lot less legal risk with using it defensively.

How do you know you improved the edge for your intended purpose, if you have not tested the original or the improved edge on it's intended target?

Go out and cut some one's arm off, and you will know if the edge can handle the bone.

CS does a pretty darned good job on their geometry, and edges.

You could go buy a side of ribs, hang them up, and give er a huge cut.

I tested an edge once, on the bone in my thumb, by accident. I found out that my edge geometry was too thin, because the edge rolled on the bone in my thumb. You could try that, but fixing the cut hurts. That same edge did fine carving wood, and had never rolled on other stuff.

I really doubt after hitting bone you would really need to use the knife any more in a SD scenario lol And really any type if sharp steel would work in a SD scenario cause edge retention wouldn't really matter right?
But yes I agree with fzla226. A responsible gun owner with a CC license would look a lot better in court than a Cold Steel Espada on the evidence table haha

If you want something for defense. Carry a gun. It works better and there's a lot less legal risk with using it defensively.

While agree that guns are generally better than knives for self defense, sometimes they aren't an option. Keep in mind that some of us work or live in areas with crappy gun laws where carrying one is not always a viable option.

With that being said, I don't think edge angles matter in these kinds of life or death situation. If the knife is sharp and you know what you're doing (and have a bit of luck), it will work. Sure, the edge might roll or chip if you hit the zippernon a jacket, a belt buckle or something like that, but who cares? It's not like you're going to be slashing folks eight hours a day, you'll probably never do it (I sincerely hope you never have to). Plus, any knife used in a fight will be taken by the police as evidence, which means you might not see it again for a while (this depends on your local laws and proceedures).

I would worry more about getting some good training and working on other areas of self defense (i.e., not just the actual fighting but situational awareness, being fit enough to run the hell away and stuff like that) than something like the edge angle of your Espada.

Back