What forge do YOU have?

Don Hanson III Don Hanson III

Don how big is the orifice on that burner? Is it 2" pipe?
Sorry, didn't see this earlier. Like Stacy said, no orifice. Just a 1/4" nipple.

Burner pipe size isn't real critical. I believe the big vertical is 2" & the small one is 1-1/2" I also use a cast iron bell reducer on the burner end, reduce one size smaller. This creates a little back pressure and the cast holds up well.

Both mine are insawool, coated with satinite. I get a good 4-5 years of heavy use before it needs relined. Flux falls to the bottom and doesn't mess with the sides much.

Ok here it is. This thread convinced me to abandon, or at least postpone the horizontal ribbon forge I was building. Tonight I test fired my new craftsman vertical forge. Cast floor, 2" wool, forced air burner.

Holy crap this thing makes more heat at 3 psi and partial opening of the needle valve than my significantly smaller 2 burner venturi forge did at 20 PSI and wide open. Still some finishing touches but I am a believer!

View attachment 757869
Nice lookin forge. You need a steel plate on the bottom of the opening, or better lining the whole opening. That exposed wool with get eaten up other wise.

Last edited:
Nice lookin forge. You need a steel plate on the bottom of the opening, or better lining the whole opening. That exposed wool with get eaten up other wise.

Yep! That and a work rest and some handles are coming soon. Going to form some 316 stainless to line the openings, figure that will last the longest.

Sorry, didn't see this earlier. Like Stacy said, no orifice. Just a 1/4" nipple.

Burner pipe size isn't real critical. I believe the big vertical is 2" & the small one is 1-1/2" I also use a cast iron bell reducer on the burner end, reduce one size smaller. This creates a little back pressure and the cast holds up well.

Both mine are insawool, coated with satinite. I get a good 4-5 years of heavy use before it needs relined. Flux falls to the bottom and doesn't mess with the sides much.

No problem, thats exactly what I did, seeing something similar on another forum. 2" reduced to 1.5".

I don't have a pic available right now. I use my Big Green Egg, and attach my shop vac to the bottom vent as a bellows. Nerdy and silly, but it works!

I just want to update how much I love my forced air vertical. I had an incredibly difficult time forge welding in my venturi forge, it was basically a copy of a 2 burner whisper, but it was a struggle to ever get it to welding heat. It would, it just took a long time.

I've been welding billets left and right with the blown forge and if anything it's more of a challenge to keep it below weld temps. Wish I had done it from the start.

Now I need a shelf forge for axes and the like but that vertical will see the vast majority of my use.

Back