What full size Leatherman to buy?

Mitchell Knives

Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've been carrying a Leatherman Squirt for the last few years and it's served adequately. However, I'm now in the market for a full size multitool. I haven't really kept up with multitool developments and am not sure what to buy.

The Free P4 seems to be well reviewed, but there seem to be a lot of other nice versions as well.

Any suggestions on a what full size Leatherman to buy?

The super tool 300 has done very well for me. I also had a rebar i loved but gave to a friend. Now i love the squirt.

...what full size Leatherman to buy?

Good question.

The Wave+ does it for me. It has been part of my uniform belt for many, many years. First the regular Wave, now the Wave+. Between it and the Charge, the choice is not easy. I do have both, I could not resist the Cabela's special edition with the orange G10 handles. Both ride in an American Bench Craft leather sheath. I love American made quality.

Good question.

The Wave+ does it for me. It has been part of my uniform belt for many, many years. First the regular Wave, now the Wave+. Between it and the Charge, the choice is not easy. I do have both, I could not resist the Cabela's special edition with the orange G10 handles. Both ride in an American Bench Craft leather sheath. I love American made quality.
Just want to throw out there, I carry a Super Tool 300 in a heavy duty leather sheath made by Nay's Custom Leather in Utah. I did receive many recommendations for American Benchcraft but the Nay's sheath is a little heftier and has a slot for the bit card accessory (but that comes with a bulkier sheath). In case anyone reading is interested in options.

I've been carrying a Leatherman Squirt for the last few years and it's served adequately. However, I'm now in the market for a full size multitool. I haven't really kept up with multitool developments and am not sure what to buy.

The Free P4 seems to be well reviewed, but there seem to be a lot of other nice versions as well.

Any suggestions on a what full size Leatherman to buy?

Lk5AXXR.jpg

I have collected a few dozens LM MTs, and in terms of quality, I think P4 is just middle down the road. The magnetic closure is a fantastic idea, but I felt the P4 lacks careful execution, and just average/poor tool selection or quality(think wingman).

Personally, I would still consider Charge/Wave as their flagship mid size model. Just my 2 cents worth, YMMV.

I just ordered a new surge last night, it will be my 2nd lm. I have a wingman for pocket carry and figured I needed a dedicated MT for my bugout bag.

Take a careful look at the overall size and the tools offered on the different models. They offer some differences so you can pick the tool that you think will best fit your needs.

I have an older Wave with a 154CM knife blade. It has served me very well and saved the day a few times. I later bought a second Wave so I can keep one in my fishing boat.

Wave plus all the way.

I have a tti charge plus, wave plus, signal, sidekick, wingman, and p4.

The tools on the wave are exceptionally better than the p4.

My EDC is a LM Surge with all the bells and whistles, but not everyone is nerdy enough to be seen in public with all that on their belt. I'd recommend, for most people, the LM Wave, or, if you have extra cash to spend, the Charge. Avoid the original Wave, as it lacks interchangeable bits, and go for either the new Wave or the Wave+. You can use the removable pocket clip for minimalist carry or use a holster and fill it up with extra bits and a bit extension. T-A

If you get the bit kit and extender then the Leatherman Wave otherwise I would go with Supertool 300.

If you get the bit kit and extender then the Leatherman Wave otherwise I would go with Supertool 300.
ST300 is an excellent, beefy tool, but I enjoy the one-handed-opening knife blades of the Wave/Charge/Surge tools. If I was also carrying a dedicated one-handed knife clipped to my pocket, then the ST300 would work well for me. Or the Rebar for a little less weight. T-A

I have a Wingman , It's good but not that good . I loaned it to an idiot once and he rounded off the Philips but like I said he was an idiot . I was able to save it and it works fine for me , the minus screwdriver works well but it's a little too big . The file is hard to use , the pattern is all slant I would prefer X pattern . Scissors are nice , they will cut thick leather but when I do that the handles hurt my fingers . Can opener is nice , I would prefer a proper bottle cap opener . The hook tool (by the file) I have found very useful . The knife blade is excellent and I'm not really a fan of serrated blades , It's converting me . Pliers/wire cutter , best part of the tool I think . Overall fit and finish is typical Leatherman excellence .
My 2 cents .
11-wingman.jpg

Last edited:
I'ld recommend the wave probably the best all rounder, had mine for many years. I did post a review at the end of 2019. It's still going strong. If you prefer better blade steel maybe a charge. Checkout the secondary market.
Good luck
mitch

Wave.... I have been carrying the P4 for about a year or so now and I will be going back to the wave. Just like it better.

I've carried the P4 pretty much 7 days a week for a year, and it really has been the best MT to fit my daily needs.

I absolutely hate the replaceable bit drivers on LM tools. I have had the retention springs fail on two waves and a surge. I much prefer the solid bits and the one hand opening external tools has been both convenient as well as solved the issue i would have with my Surge where the jaws jammed if I didn't fold the first handle in completely flush before shutting the other.

Finally, I am a sucker for a spear point. The P4 has one of the most useful (for me) blade shapes. Honestly, I only carry my Inkosi or other stand alone knife out of habit. The P4 plain edge has been a great user.

So for me, I like the P4 for day to day carry (installed two ceiling fans at home with just it as my "tool box" this afternoon). When I go to the jobsite, I prefer the most robust build of the ST300.

Of the dozens and dozens of tools in my collection, those are about the only ones I bother carrying.

YMMV and good luck:)

I like the Wave +. I have the regular Wave and it has been a great tool. They didn’t have the plus model out yet when I got it but the replaceable wire cutters would be a nice step up. I have a Wingman that has been good too but it isn’t as comfortable when you have to grip hard.

Another good one I’ve been interested in is the Signal.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I think I've narrowed it down to the P4 or the Surge. (I have a Wave that I keep in my bug out bag.)

Back