What goes in the wrap with the blades?

Has anyone experimented with various materials in the wrap with stainless blades for heat treat? I've heard everything from cigarette filters to pieces of charcol.
Is there something that works really well?
Also, do most of you double wrap the packets?
Thanks!!

I use a piece of cardboard about the size of a quarter. You want something that is big enough to burn up all of the oxygen in the envelope, but small enough that it does not leave too much ash to stick to your hot blade. I always single wrap the packets, just leave enough room all the way around to double fold the edges so they are air tight. I would think that the double wrap would be a little tougher to cut through when trying to remove a red hot blade.

Couple of big pinches of sawdust, mostly pine or whatever plywood, seems to work here. Also doing single wrap. Your folds need to be tightly creased.

Michael,

I double wrap and do not use anything inside the 'packet'. I do try to squeeze out as much O2 as possible using a wallpaper seam roller. In the past, I've used varying sizes of paper and have found that they come out just as clean without it.

Thanks for the tips guys!
Brett, you gave me an idea. Next time I'm gonna try pressing the wrap around the blades with my kydex press. That should smash it down as flat and form fitting as possible and then with two real tight folds on the edges there shouldn't be much oxy in the packet.

I put a piece of cardboard about the size of the blade. Never had one stick to the steel. I like to put a piece of heavy steel on the single wrapped pouch to keep it from puffing up and allowing the tip to rip out through the pouch.

I find this very interesting!!

I use VERY small pieces of wood. Usually whatever those craft sticks (popsicle sticks) are. I shave a piece about the size of a fingernail clipping!!

ANY time I've tried paper or something larger, it BLOWS the packet open in the oven :( I wouldn't DARE try a piece of cardboard the size of a quarter!!!!!! I think it would blow the oven door open!! LOL!!!

If everything goes properly, I get like a shiny, rainbow colored blade with little or no scale. This works with my D2, S30V and lately M2.

Neil

That is very interesting Neil!
Maybe we're doing it bassackwards. Maybe we shouldn't be putting anything in the wraps. I'm fixing to grind some s30v blades and will try the pressing idea with nothing in the packets. Man, I hope they come out like your's and Paul's with the rainbow effect. I did a balisong blade once that came out that way. I still haven't worked the blade any since heat treat and was thinking about leaving it the way it is, looks neat with all those wild colors in it. I wonder how the colors would stand up to use?

Neil is more than likely right. Maybe thats why my pouches expand like Orvil Rettenbauckers popcorn bags. Dont ask me anymore stainless questions.

Back