What grinder are you running and how could it be improved?

Hankins

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
What grinder are you running in your shop?
What do you Love/Hate about it?
How could it be improved?
What feature/features are missing?
Cost VS Benefit in overall performance?
I ran a KMG for 19 odd yrs and the only issue was not being offered in Direct drive=noisy

2x72 DIY - DC Knives design.

Love - low cost, solidly built, it's my only grinder and it's a workhorse
Hate - Tracking is mostly under control below 100 grit but gives issues above 120.

Could be improved with a better tracking mechanism.

Being able to tilt sideways would be nice.

Overall cost vs benefit has been great. I've learned a lot about what works and what doesn't for blades and handles, and I didn't have to shell out 1k+ to find out whether I enjoy making knives or not (I do).

I run a Pheer 2x72. Jose went the extra mile to provide the best materials, KBAC and motor available. For $1600 new cant complain. Only complaint (not really one) would be that I would have liked to see a better work rest. I am looking forward to getting back to the US, setting my shop back up and making dust (no earlier than 2022)!

Also made my own based off the DCKnives plans. Only $ I have in it are wheels and platen, 8” drive wheel along with 4” & 12” contact wheels. I had everything else laying around the shop. Haven’t had any issues whatsoever. One day I’ll break down and buy a VFD(which I desperately need/want).
BECA7DDD-685F-4255-9C46-F14FEDE9A3E9.jpeg

Hardcore billet grinder. The best grinder in my opinion but not cheap. It works the best for my style grinding of kitchen knives. User friendly, quiet, excellent tracking, versatile. It has a long top platen and I run it in reverse with the belt going away from me. Sort of like a rotating water wheel stone.
I also have a burr king 1272. A very heavy beast of a grinder.
I’m a full time maker of 15 knives per month. I want the best

but I can grind on just about any grinder and I like the hardcore because it’s friendly to use.

Last edited:
I;ve been using the same KMG-I (First version ever, i think) for about 15 years. I wish the platen holder was cut on the left like the new ones. I just went VFD and worried about the belt setup but I can slow the motor before the belt slips so it is beastmode with the 3HP Baldor I got for it.

Improvements I want:
  • New style platen
  • Larger workrest
  • New bearings/drive shaft
  • Add a lovejoy coupling to make the motor direct drive and replace drive wheel with a suitable size for my motor
  • Re-locate VFD for more convenience
  • Radius platen to simulate a huge wheel

Had and used a KMG for about three years, it was built like a tank and had no issues with anything except the step pullies and work rest. Tracked very well, very little vibration when using a link belt. BUT, speed was never where I wanted it and 2hp on a belt drive was easy to bog down.

I have two Bader III's. One I converted to 3ph variable and tilts, the other is DC. I made a second tool arm socket on the tilting grinder. I need to do that on the other. The only other change I'd make would be to change from DC to 3ph.

Jesse curious Why change from DC to 3ph?

I'm interested in this thread someday I may get a real grinder be nice to hear what people like about different ones. I'm still using a hobo freight 1x30 I decided to get a mill and heat treat oven first a 2x72 is probably my next big tool purchase.

Pheer 454 220v. I wish it tilted. Everything else about it seems good so far. Have only had it since October

I have a Kadrmas Kreations 2x72 that I picked up second had for bargain. Came with a VFD and 1HP motor. It's served me well for sure and "got me in the game" sorta speak. I was able to convert it from 0.75x1.5 tooling arms to 1.5 x 1.5.

I'd really like the ability to turn this guy horizontal and am thinking about building that functionality in.

It's good for what it is. I've always been partial to the look of the NorthRidge grinders... may have one of those in my distant future... Don't tell my wife. ;)

Owned most of the major ones. Settled on a Northridge. Can not match the tolerances George holds on those grinders. I wish it had the work rest my tw90 had, other than that wouldnt change a thing. The Rat arm on the pro pack is second to none.

Would recommend all reading this to completely avoid kmg

Esteem, might add a second tool arm and a better work rest but its a very good grinder for the money.. Have a battleworn old Coote as well with a small wheel holder and a disc sander attachment. Its been a warrior

Pheer 454 220v. I wish it tilted. Everything else about it seems good so far. Have only had it since October

Check YT there is a guy who did a review on one that made a very simple way to make it tilt using some plywood gate hinges and a few blocks of wood. I'm waiting on mine to arrive and plan on making a similar one he did to have it go horizontal.

Back