what grit ?

I'm going to try sanding some micarta for handles on three knives I am making for christmas presents.I am buying the blades and putting the handles on them. So, what grit should I be getting. I'm guessing 80 or 100 grit or files or copeing saws etc. to cut the rough shape. Then 220 for the middle sanding and then 600 grit to finish. I'm going to try the ivory micarta so I want a nice smooth finish. I also remember reading something about putting super glue on the finished product and then buffing it for a good finish. I am still working on learning this so all advice is appriciated. My buddy lent me his grinder/sander. Its a 4 " x 36 " belt ginder with a disk grinder on the side. I found a place that has all kinds of belts (GL PEARCE ABRASIVE ). I just not sure what belts to order. And should I get Zirconia or Sil Carbide ? or both ?
Oh and another question, I am working on learning how to do some filework. I have seen knives where the impressions in the filework were filled in with a black " substance " does anybody know what it is and where I can get it.
Again thanks Jack

has the epoxy dyes that some use to fill in file work. O/A belts seem to work fine for the price,hermes brand is what i use. depending on if its paper, linen or canvas determens how fine i finish the micarta.

I'm guessing his fingers were going to fast:) . A/O is aluminum oxide, it's a type of grit they use on sand paper. You might want to try a 320g or 400g before you go to 600g. I would just buff with white compound after sanding and not use the super glue.
Good luck, Joe

I've had real good success with this:

Shape with whatever. Then I have a cut up mouse pad for a sanding block (1/2" x 3" seems like a nice size). Lets me make rounded edges and things. When I'm sanding where the Micarta meets the steel (around the edges) I use a file for a sanding block. If it isn't stiff and flat you'll remove more Micarta than steel and it'll leave a high spot.

I take it up to 320 grit to get all the scratches out. The 320 scratches come out with emery. Then I polish it up with emery compound and a stitched 6" wheel.

Emery is fine on black Micarta, but might color the ivory stuff. Joe's suggestion on white compound it probably a better choice. I'll have to try it myself.

Just be careful 'cause the wheel can leave a divot in the Micarta. So go light and keep moving.

Steve

Thanks for the advice, I made some sanding blocks out of oak wood with little handles on them. It was a suggestion that came from a knivemaker I will try rest

Back