What handle material do you think has the best feeling in hand? How is that feeling?

For sheer utility, meaning good grip under bad conditions (cold, wet, greasy etc.) Kraton or Santoprene (which may be the same stuff). Micarta gives a good grip, and I like the look of stag, stacked leather or curly birch handles. All will do in a pinch though.

I pretty much like anything that's not metal. I like the plastic scales on my assorted SAKs, the Micarta and wood scales on my Bucks, and whatever Benchmade uses on the Griptilians and the "CF Elite" on my new Bugout. I also like the stag on my fixed blade Muela.

I pretty much like anything that's not metal ...

With my likes out of the way, I'll join you on this one. I don't care for metal scales. From heavy steel to lightweight titanium; metal scales feel cold to me. They tend to be slick when smooth. They never feel as nice as G10, Micarta, or wood. When it comes to textures or knurling, nothing I've had in metal compares with what I've had in those other materials. I especially don't like how anodized aluminum wears over time.

I don't like having a scale in preferred material on one side and a metal scale on the other side. It always looks "unfinished" to me. I know that's how a lot of frame locks come but I don't care about frame locks either. :p

You know, as I read through this thread and see all the love for micarta it makes me wonder why there aren't more production knives available with micarta scales. Is it so popular because it's less common? If it was as ubiquitous as G10 and FRN, would it still be as desirable?

Last edited:
You know, as I read through this thread and see all the love for micarta if makes me wonder why there aren't more production knives available with micarta scales. Is it so popular because it's less common? If it was as ubiquitous as G10 and FRN, would it still be as desirable?
well, about that, we are making more micarta now. in the past, we had a problem of micarta supply chain. ;) it will be more micarta Kizer knives coming in the future.

With my likes out of the way, I'll join you on this one. I don't care for metal scales. From heavy steel to lightweight titanium; metal scales feel cold to me. They tend to be slick when smooth. They never feel as nice as G10, Micarta, or wood. When it comes to textures or knurling, nothing I've had in metal compares with what I've had in those other materials. I especially don't like how anodized aluminum wears over time.

I don't like having a scale in preferred material on one side and a metal scale on the other side. It always looks "unfinished" to me. I know that's how a lot of frame locks come but I don't care about frame locks either. :p

You and I are pretty much in agreement on this.

Alox SAKs are about the only thing that I have enjoyed with metal scales.

I avoid “heavy duty” metal folders also but, the Insingo that I have been playing with all morning has been a lot of fun. It goes against almost all of the personal rules I have for knife ownership.

Unfortunately, I have to return it to it’s rightful owner.:(

Last edited:

I also don t like metal handles. If I get a nice frame lock with one side metal and one side g10, it is ok, but both sides metal doesn't t allow me to grip well enough with sweaty or wet hands.
I think my favorite handle material is micarta. But I m ok with g10, and frn.

I've always preferred a rubberized (or similar, I dunno the technical terms...) grip but have only owned a few that had them
Other than that, I'm not picky. I don't like it too smooth. If it's gonna be smooth, have a pronounced guard
rubberized cork , maybe ... soft and warm and no slip :)
WtICw8u.jpg

One of the reasons I have never purchased a CRK knife is the metal. Just usually don't care for it. I broke the metal scales thing with the Benchmade Mini Presidio II (aluminum) and like it. If I carry a modern knife, it's usually that one. But I generally do not carry a modern knife these days.

I think the most functional scale material is micarta. That is the handle material I would choose for a true survival knife. I like G-10 also, but it tends to be slicker. Natural materials are great overall for me too.

Back