what happened to old barber razor blade?

what happened to the old fashion razor blade that the barber use to shave for his customer? :confused: :confused: I don't see current barbers using it anymore. Has it become obsolete?

You're looking for a straight razor, I believe.

Most don't use it due to liability- cutting a customer accidentally. I'd wager the last time most barbers used them was the early 80s, right around the start of HIV being known.

A few years ago, I overheard my barber explaining to someone else that shaving simply wasn't profitable.

One still sees some barbers using straight razors on scalps, so fear of HIV probably doesn't much factor into things.

Any of the better big city barbers I have gone to used razors for detailing. I asked mine how he sharpened his razor, and he showed me he was using a replaceable blade razor which surprised me. But that is the kind of straight razor I use now.

Some hairdressers who cut women's hair use straight razors instead of shears or scissors.

I was visiting the in-laws in Omaha a couple weeks ago, decided it was time for a haircut, and the barber there whipped out his straight razor, stropped it properly, and trimmed my neck and sideburns with it.

So, there are definitely some out there who still do :)

Mike

As bad as HIV is, once it's outside the body, it's pretty weak. They say it can't last more than a minute in air/room temperature. If the barber cleans the razor with a cloth and alcohol, that would probably do it. I'd be more worried about Hep C or something like that.

I had a barber where I used to live that would do the neck and sides with a straight-razor (I could actually get away with a week-old haircut sometimes).

The last barber I asked said someting like ,"look, when we were cavemen, we probably used some sharp obsidian. Modern razors work better and are safer." makes sense to me.

My barber uses one to finish the neck area. I think it's not a true straight razor though. It probably has a replacable blade, but the folding handle and the function is the same. I really don't pay that much attention to the equipment, I'm always reading a magazine or something.

Back