What happens to a billet twisted twice?

I can't find any kind of documentation where someone has twisted a billet of PW steel, cut it in half and twisted the two halves. I'm hoping that it will yield an interesting pattern without the need to grind away so much steel. Any thoughts?

I assume you mean cut the billet in half length wise? But if you twist again the best patter will still be in the center of the billet. There is less waste if you split the billet length wise and then weld back together with the center of the bar on the outside but you have to forge very close to shape or as you grind you start getting into the less interesting parts of the bar.

you can also get a very nice pattern by twisting and then upsetting the bar and drawing it out perpendicular to the initial twist and then twisting again. then center cut the bar and forge a knife from the center.

Or do you mean twisting two twisted rods together like a rope? Good question. My solution: try it and see what you get.

Try different colours of silly putty plasticine that sort of thing.

you can do that manipulation and see what happens.

I think I have to try it to satisfy the curiosity although the putty idea sounds great. I am definitely talking about twisting, cutting (into two pieces of equal length) stacking and twisting again once the bar has been redrawn. I know that this has to have been done before and after seeing Bill's response I'm pretty sure that it'll be a let down (but the pattern at the end of the bar almost has to look pretty cool if i cut it like a loaf.) Thank you for the incite.

Once long ago I braided three bars of twist together. it was a real pain to do and wasn't near as cool as I had imagined.

I'm with Bill. I've done a "rope" type stack of twists before, and it was a big let down. It's really easy to get cold shuts and tears, and the pattern was just okay. For me anyway.

IMHO, If you're going to do that amount of work, you'd be way better off to do a multi-bar twist... :)

Back