What has everyone been up to?

Anyone still kicking around out there?

I very rarely hop on the forums anymore. Most of my knife chatter goes to Instagram nowadays, but that has become more of a chore than fun.

Any of the old regulars still out there checking in? Any new Osprey owners wanting to revive this forum? Can Chris change the title from Too to To /facepalm

I very rarely hop on the forums anymore. Most of my knife chatter goes to Instagram nowadays, but that has become more of a chore than fun.

Any of the old regulars still out there checking in? Any new Osprey owners wanting to revive this forum? Can Chris change the title from Too to To /facepalm

Done!

I have been hanging around. Instagram, Facebook and email has been my primary form of communication in the knife circles too! I am feeling the pull back to the forums though. A lot of excessiveness and unfriendly rules for like minded professionals on two of those platforms. I need to renew my Knifemaker/Service Provider subscription soon. I have been keeping myself to moderation only in the meantime. I saw no need until now to pay to sell here and on my Website, when I intend on keeping the website running as is. It has been extremely useful and I like how it runs for me. On the other hand, I do miss the dialogue and friendship I made here. So, I plan on making a comeback. I am clearing my plate so I can free up time to be more engaging on here in the near future.

Last edited:

Hey Danny and Chris! I’ve been here a few times a week and like you Danny mostly on IG. Waiting on a good time (relative term) to travel again...hopefully back to Oaxaca!

Hey Danny and Chris! I’ve been here a few times a week and like you Danny mostly on IG. Waiting on a good time (relative term) to travel again...hopefully back to Oaxaca!

Hopefully sooner than later!
I need to do some traveling myself. I have spent way way to much time alone in my shop this last year. o_O
Been going stir crazy :confused:

Being new to the forums, I’m still overwhelmed with all the awesome information and knives on here. It’s been great.

I don’t have Instagram or Facebook (probably missing out on a lot of awesome content), so the forums are my only current source of info on stuff.

Have some ospreys on order, and can’t wait for them Chris!

Being new to the forums, I’m still overwhelmed with all the awesome information and knives on here. It’s been great.

I don’t have Instagram or Facebook (probably missing out on a lot of awesome content), so the forums are my only current source of info on stuff.

Welcome to the forums! It has been quite awhile since I have updated any information here. I suppose most is still relevant.

You don’t really need an account with either of those to see what I post, you can do a google search and it will pull up my IG page somewhere down the line. I post my finished pieces and work in progress pictures there. It is easier to post pictures, and share that kind of material on those platforms. They tend to get more eyeballs too. On the other hand as you noticed in the forums we like to get down into the nuts and bolts of things. You do not get that sort of depth on social media and after a few days what you post is forgotten about. Any how I digress and starting to ramble. I look forward to completing your knives and welcome to the OKT family!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! It has been quite awhile since I have updated any information here. I suppose most is still relevant.

You don’t really need an account with either of those to see what I post, you can do a google search and it will pull up my IG page somewhere down the line. I post my finished pieces and work in progress pictures there. It is easier to post pictures, and share that kind of material on those platforms. They tend to get more eyeballs too. On the other hand as you noticed in the forums we like to get down into the nut and bolts of things. You do not get that sort of depth on social media and after a few days what you post is forgotten about. Any how I digress and starting to ramble. I look forward to completing your knives and welcome to the OKT family!

Great! I will have to do that.

I know it’s amazing the level of detail some of the forum posts go into. I get sucked into it really bad (although I have learned so many things from people on here already). I’ll just be going down some frivolous detail about god knows what, and before you know it 3 hours have gone by lol.

I hope you can get back on the road and up in the air soon. Mexico has a lot to see and experience.

As much as I want to go places, with the kids I’m OK with trips to the shore or relatively close to home until they get a little older. Flying with 4 sounds like a nightmare.

Nice to meet you! What did you order? Chris makes some of the finest knives out there, I bet you are excited waiting for them to finish up.

There is not much depth on the various social media sites, so you are not missing much other than keeping up with possible announcements or sneak peaks.

Welcome to the forum! There are many in and from the Fiddleback Forge family. All exceptional. You won’t get a “better” blade than an Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool knife!

I
Nice to meet you! What did you order? Chris makes some of the finest knives out there, I bet you are excited waiting for them to finish up.

There is not much depth on the various social media sites, so you are not missing much other than keeping up with possible announcements or sneak peaks.

I have a k2 raptor, trailhand, and hunter all on the way! Will post pics once received for sure.

I still check in here once a week to see if anything is happening. Not much posting besides the BS&T thread. That is a shame considering how active it used to be.

I don't have a Facebook or Instagram account and don't want them. I can't tolerate their political BS, onerous policies, and suspicious nature that doesn't like people who appreciate knives or things that go bang-bang. I used to look at the OK&T Instagram photos to see what was going on, but Instagram cut off access to that too by immediately requiring you to sign-in or sign-up to keep viewing. Screw that. It seems a necessary evil that businesses feel like they must do business there and abandon more direct interaction with customers on forums like this. That's the same reason brick & mortar business are dying and going to internet sales only to avoid the expense of direct customer interaction.

As for myself, Bladeforums is the only social media site I participate in. I buy a lot fewer knives these days because after fifteen years in the hobby, I have a clear idea of exactly what I want and why and let go of the rest. Most of the purchases I made in the last couple of years have been from makers who actively participate on this forum, like; Carothers, Horsewright, Redmeadow, and Razor Edge. Those are also the places I post these days because they have maker participation and an active community of supporters.

I will try to post a couple of things on the OK&T forum soon to try to jumpstart some discussion here.

I wish Chris and all my friends here the best.

Phil

I too keep checking in here to see what’s happening. I will NOT do Facebook for same reasons mentioned above. I do have Instagram but that’s just to see pics. I really do not like doing any business on there. I was kinda forced on there to get to see one maker and just stayed.
I’m sure I’ll eventually be a customer here, probably sooner if you come back. I truly like the community feeling you get here. To me it just makes purchasing that much better.
Glad I checked in to see this :)

I still check in here once a week to see if anything is happening. Not much posting besides the BS&T thread. That is a shame considering how active it used to be.

I don't have a Facebook or Instagram account and don't want them. I can't tolerate their political BS, onerous policies, and suspicious nature that doesn't like people who appreciate knives or things that go bang-bang. I used to look at the OK&T Instagram photos to see what was going on, but Instagram cut off access to that too by immediately requiring you to sign-in or sign-up to keep viewing. Screw that. It seems a necessary evil that businesses feel like they must do business there and abandon more direct interaction with customers on forums like this. That's the same reason brick & mortar business are dying and going to internet sales only to avoid the expense of direct customer interaction.

As for myself, Bladeforums is the only social media site I participate in. I buy a lot fewer knives these days because after fifteen years in the hobby, I have a clear idea of exactly what I want and why and let go of the rest. Most of the purchases I made in the last couple of years have been from makers who actively participate on this forum, like; Carothers, Horsewright, Redmeadow, and Razor Edge. Those are also the places I post these days because they have maker participation and an active community of supporters.

I will try to post a couple of things on the OK&T forum soon to try to jumpstart some discussion here.

I wish Chris and all my friends here the best.

Phil

Phil,

Thank you for your reply and sharing your thoughts and opinions. I have always valued your input and candidness, I am replying directly to you, but more as an open letter to everyone else that this applies to.

I understand, and can relate to not wanting to interact or have any of those other social media accounts. It took me a really long time to warm up to the idea of being open and active on here years ago when Andy Roy encouraged me to open up my own hosted knife-makers forum. I an introvert by nature. In todays day in age social media is a indeed a necessary evil. I do enjoy what Bladefourms brings to the table that the others do not. The depth and breadth of conversation coupled with the freedoms you stated that we both value dearly. It was never my intention to abandon the forums, I cut my teeth here. I have made genuine friendships that have carried over outside of the forums.

I set out a few years ago to focus on building the social media reach of the brand. I realized it was a useful tool in areas where the forums where lacking. The reach and ease at which you can share pictures, information and advertise/market for free is an invalubale tool for a one man show like me that does not have a budget for advertising like some of these other brands. It has proven to be very effective and has allowed me to streamline certain aspects saving time which is money in many areas. It has also allowed me to grow my fan and customer base exponentially faster than otherwise would have been possible just staying here alone.

When I left Fiddelback Forge and I set out on my own a few years ago. I recall stating here and was aware that I would make some mistakes along the way, I am learning as I go building this all from the ground up. I have made quite a few mistakes in fact, I have also learned a great deal from them too. In hindsight I simply over extended myself and took on more than I could reasonably maintain or keep control of to the point that their was no time for anyting else including myself. This is one of the many reasons I had to pull back and close down the shop I had worked on so tirelessly to get up and running and consolidate moving everything into my place of residence. It was not an easy descision and I really hurt my pride and wallet. That being said it was one of the smartest decisions I have made up to this point It has allowed me extra time and less stress to focus on my vision. The last year and half or more has been consumed by digging myself out of a deep hole, and recentering myself trying to gain back control and I am finally getting back to a sense or normalcy and rhythm.

With all that being said, I do not regret what I have built outside of the Forums. I do regret letting the forum go by the waist side, I cannot change the past I can only learn from it and look forward. I apologize specificly to you and anyone else that felt abandoned my my lack of interaction here, that was never my intentions. Going forward I have decide that I am going to dedicate myself again to the forums here and use the other platforms as I have continued to but on a more limited and focused basis. I will not be bringing sales back to the forums for a lot of practicle reasons. I am however going to do my part to revive the forum back to what is should have been in the first place all along and that is a place for discussion, education and comradare. Because after all that is what I value the most about what I do and what brings me back here after all this time.

Chris Linton
Osprey Knife & Tool

Last edited:
Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool

I know that above wasn’t directly aimed at me. Just wanted to say that was very well said Sir !!!! I’m glad to hear you have things going in the direction you want. You make some really nice knives. You have a mid size looking Bowie on instagram that is awesome !!!

Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool

I know that above wasn’t directly aimed at me. Just wanted to say that was very well said Sir !!!! I’m glad to hear you have things going in the direction you want. You make some really nice knives. You have a mid size looking Bowie on instagram that is awesome !!!

Thank you!

No it was not I was replying directly to Phil, but not directed towards him or anyone specific, more as an open letter to address the proverbial Elephant in the room.

Well looky here, someone has there Knifemaker/Craftsman/Service Provider Subscription back! :D Time to get cracking on the Forums again with work in progress photos and updates on sales. I am working on a handful of custom orders and will also have a few knives up for grabs with in the next week.

It was really cold and raw here the last week or so, I took advantage of the cold snap and spent the time getting an office space carved out instead of using the kitchen table. I had a dedicated office in my previous shop but never made that transition. It was way over due. I went down the Excel Pivot Table and Flow Chart rabbit hole for a few days. Still lots to learn but I think it will help me keep better organized instead of doing things mostly the old fashioned way by paperwork and hand notes.

How was everyone else’s week? I hope Ya’ll stayed warm! Work in progress pictures on that dedicated thread later today or tomorrow.

Back