What have I got? What do you know about it?

I've got a very old SCHRADE WALDEN dual button switchblade(s) knife with mother-of-pearl handles. My guess - circa 1920?

Approximately 4" in total length.
One of the blades is approximately 2", the other 1-1/2"

Blade release buttons are located on both ends - not intended to be used simultaneously.

The mother-of-pearl inlay is on both sides of the handle(s) and each side is one piece.

Each blades has Schrade Walden, Model No., New York engraved on it, however due age (both mine and the knife's) I am unable to decypher the model no.

Im looking for any information I can get.
All replys are appreciated.

Thanks.

Kate Mendribil
eMail: richard_mendribil@msn.com

If your knife is marked Schrade Walden it is not from 1920 it had to be made between 1946-1956 approx which was the time this marking was used on automatics. If your knife is marked Schrade Cut Co then it could have been made between 1903 and 1946. The pat Numbers and dates would help somewhat to discern approx when. These knives were made in three sizes 2,7/8" 3,3/8" and 3,3/4" . Yours sounds like the 3,3/4" since you state the pearl is in one piece It would seem that it has no bolsters ( this size was made with small tip, full bolsters, and no bolsters ). In a Schrade Walden 46-56 approx these in this very large size in pearl were even more rare than the Schrade Cut earlier versions. )..

So first the bad news usually these in pearl have been rehandled especially under Schrade Walden. These were usually in celluloid which often would decompose the result was that if the knife was in good condition it would be rehandled either in jigged bone or pearl to make it look original. Cell while still available is usually pretty easy to determine if new or original by the pattern. So since this size pattern knife is quite sought after, it is easier to use jigged bone or pearl. The old style jigging on bone is difficult to copy so if this is used it to can be a give away. However the one material that it is almost impossible to tell from original is pearl. Some people will tell you that old original pearl can be determined by flaking ect. If so more power to them in most cases it all looks the same ( at least to me ) them oysters have not changed there production methods for some time. The model under Schrade cut is a 7504. (NOTE this then has a letter to determine the handle material however this is not on the knife only the catalogue ) I have now searched in a sea of paper for an hour and cannot fine the catalogue which shows the model under Schrade Walden . However I believe they did make the 3,3/4" under that tang. and usually they use the first three digits making it a 750??? Very few original pearl were made fewer in Schrade Walden and the least in this size.

All that being said the Good news, is that you still have a very sought after piece. In really good shape 350 and up in that size maybe ( if the right people want it ) 550+. That is a retail price and I have not seen the knife so it is pretty much a guess until I know condition however usually these are in great shape because it would make no sense to rehandle a beat partser to put pearl on it. ( which is another hint that it was rehandled) So it is only a guess but, I bet yours is in nice condition.

All that being said it could be original but really it dosent matter price wise. Let me know what else you might need. I have to look for that damn catalogue. LT PS I believe you can fire both blades at the same time by pressing the buttons at the same time, but why would you want to????

I don't profess to be an expert, but rely on the published books of experts and well-studied wisdom of folks like LT for my info. In Mark Erickson's authoritative ID and value guide, "Antique American Switchblades," he indicates that the only 4" patterns from Schrade Walden were fishtails and bowties. The largest double pen switchblade was 3-3/4", and yes LT, it is the #750. Mark shows three 750s, none of them in pearl. He does show one #741 (3-3/8" double [other models this size are 740 & 742]) in an abalone pearl celluloid. But other than that he doesn't even mention pearl in the text or sample photos as a handle type for Schrade Walden doubles. The fact that both blades are stamped Schrade Walden would seem to make it more rare, as Mark specifically notes, "One thing that seems unusual is most of these knives only have one stamp on the front tang of the main blade and no other markings. You may find some of the pen blades stamped 'Schrade Walden.'" Which is apparently what you have done. . . Barry

Sorry...forgot to mention: Mark's book is available from Krause Publications, (800) 258-0929.... again "Antique American Switchblades," by Mark Erickson.

Yes I know Mark well he stayed at my house when I wrote my book and before he wrote his. he is a nice young man. In fact since I already had a publisher I suggested Krause since I preferred Paladin an I knew they were looking. LT

I am posting this to further explain some points regarding pearl Schrade doubles. Some time ago I found this Schrade Cut (pre 46) 3,3/8" pearl double in the original pearl however on one side the end of the pearl had long ago broken off. However the remaining pearl while a bit dirty was just beautiful and difficult to come by in this grade today. I went to a cutler friend who has about 45 years experience in the field and as a favor I asked him to repair the knife. Now the knife looks better in person than in the pics however it is apparent that it has been repaired but aside from the repair is in original ( but cleaned ) condition. By the way even though you can see the repair line you cannot feel it it is that good. The point is that this is now an artifact which can be viewed as it was when it was made perhapes 80 or 90 years ago. It would have been easier just to use another bought piece of pearl but this knife is now truly restored. It is just these reasons why it is so difficult to find an original Schrade pearl with correct original markings the last pat date on this is 07 and pearl was mostly only used in the relatively early years. Schrade Waldens were really only made in pearl on special request. Most of the ones encountered especially Schrade Walden have been rehandled. Still they are among the most sought after of this style of knife even if they are rehandled. Frankly replacing the entire handle is easier than trying to make a piece to fit a broken handle. I have posted this since I keep many of my pieces in temperature controled vaults and While I was accessing something else I remembered this thread and this knife. which i felt would be useful to clarify the point I was trying to bring out. LT

L9hx2ou
Well my goodness I am so glad that I ran across you 2 gentlemen, well I hope I have since this discussion took place in 2005 and I'm just now researching my knife today.
I have been chasing my tail trying to track down what exactly I have looking from head to toe on the internet, I've found a few similar knives and some interesting articles about the history of the company, I have not run across another knife exactly like mine.
I have a schrade Walden, 3 3/4" orange celluloid with the Dec 21'09, Sept 13'10 and the June 16'16 Pat no's. So I guess what my question is, since mine is orange/black marble colored would it be called orange pearl that you were referring to in the article back in 2005? Or am I right to assume that you are talking about true whiteish colored pearl celluloid handles, cause I've never seen one of these?? As you may be able to tell by my questions, I am a new collector and in the learning stages. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I am a huge fan of true Craftsmanship since it is dying so quickly. I am a machinist myself and I'd feel lucky having someone knowledgeable to trade stories with about these knives and hopefully soon to be others, thanks a bunch guysSchrade Walden 750 https://imgur.com/a/L9hx2ou

Last edited:
Thanks man, I did some engine work for my brother and aquired my first piece to a brand new addiction, lol. I've been cruising the web to find out a little about it, and trying to decide on another one. Lots of good steel out there

Back