What I did with the Busse D2 dagger blank! and some karambit!

RDT

Thought I'd display something I have wanted to do and when Jerry Busse posted his dagger blanks for sael I bought 6 as they were close to my initial vision. Anyway, the design will change slightly when I make these a regular model but just in the handle design. I think it came out pretty good, at least it came out how I wanted it to. I thought about doing this grind a few years ago but never got around to it until I met Brent Beshara at Blade about 2 or 3 years back and he had one of his daggers with a double sided chisel grind. I altered that a little bit but I should note him as his version was the first I'd seen. I mentioned it to him at the NYC show last year that I'd been think about that grind for a while and when I saw his version I really admired it! Very nice indeed. However, making something more my own is what I try to do so, I did a chisel on each side and then groud it to a V with a smaller bevel on the other side. It's sharp and has a lot of penetrating power. Plus I love a good Kris blade! This is the first of 6 and others will be added to my regular line in the future.
Next are the Karambit my new model 8. One with the Grind I mentioned above and the other with a double edgeplain chisel. Then theres the Model 3 Leaf shaped blade Karambit and a Model 2 "Flaco" (skinny in Spanish) as itis profile is skinnier than normal. Thanks for looking any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Take care....Rich

Nice! I really like the look of those karambits.

It's been a while since i've seen a modern kris design. I dont much care for chisel type edges but those grinds look very good.

Angryfish, thanks bro! The V grind kinda alters the whole idea of the chisel grind also. It makes for a good puncture though. Take care....Rich :D

Wow.... I just finshed my second Busse blank , while I like it and plan to use it , yours look very professional ! hehe.. I'm real new to knifemaking , your grinds are damn nice ! The Kris , I can imagine how you got those grinds so nice with that curve in the blade.
Anyway , very nice ! :)

Chiro75, bro thanks! ;)
rebeltf, it ain't easy but it also isn't as hard as it looks. I was always amazed by a good Kris and thought the same as you. But a little practice and you will come up with your own new and improved, personalized ways of doing one. It is one of my more difficult grinds for sure but my most difficult is a full flat grind. That takes a really steady hand. Take care!....Rich

Thanks Benny! much obliged. I have 5 more but they will be with scales. Probably going to Blade show with me. This will be a regular model of mine the Model 9 . However, I was thinking of redoing the handle in the original configuration I had in mind. What do you think? Stick with this or tweak it some more? Peace....Rich

Funny I got a few to practice grinding with, and have thought of a kris( I've been thinking full double ground kris!-probably most by hand files), But your's looks fabulous.
Always liked what you've done, now I get to follow...

|M|

(and not step on anyone's toes!)

Mordachai, thanks buddy. I appreciate the words. Just go ahead and make that Kris! It will be pretty hard with hand files though. That D2 ain't yer average steel. Good luck and post pics when you are done. Peace....Rich

Back