What I'd really like to see????

What I'd really like to see is an in-depth, objective comparison between the R.A.T. RC-5 and the Becker Campanion (Dirty Girl) (both 5-1/4" long and both 1/4" thick (I think ). What would make this especially interesting, is Jeff Randall did a review of the Campanion in Tactical Knives and gave it a pretty glowing review.

I stress objective, because I don't want to see any kind of negative BS, but an honest-to-goodness, comparative review.

Just to be straight, I own a Becker BK-2 (Campanion - still undecided) a BK-7 (not that impressed) and a Machax (my favourite knife of all time).

From the R.A.T. camp, I have a RC-3 (I really like this knife and I love the sheath) and an Izula (thanks GS), which is really starting to grow on me.

I mention this, because I have no definite loyalty to either brand - both make excellent cutlery. (this has also been posted in the R.A.T. forum)

Anyway, I hope somebody will do this,

Doc

not impressed by the 7? would you elaborate on how it could be better? or what the negative opinion grew from?

I'm sorry, Doc.

Of course, I've got my RC-5, but I passed my Campanion on to a cousin out in California.:(

I'm sure someone else will be along soon to fulfil this entirely reasonable request.

I, too, would love to see an objective head-to-head comparison of these two knives. The question is, who would we get to do it that has no bias toward either manufacturer?

I, too, would love to see an objective head-to-head comparison of these two knives. The question is, who would we get to do it that has no bias toward either manufacturer?

I guess I wouldn't qualify anymore. I signed up for the RAT Pack.

I am, however, both a scientist and an engineer. Professionally, I'm required to be brutal, even savage.:)

Doc,

I trained as an engineer (BSME, 1973), so I understand the requirements to be dispassionate and analytical, yet, like you, I can't do it myself: I'm far too firmly in the Becker camp at this point. Much of that may be due to the fact that I've never handled the RAT. I'm hoping that there is a dispassionate third party who has absolutely no feeling toward either company who could step forward and provide an unbiased opinion after testing both knives. Good luck finding anyone on Blade forums though, that would meet that criteria.

not impressed by the 7? would you elaborate on how it could be better? or what the negative opinion grew from?

Hey spook, I can't give you anything too definite, but it just doesn't speak to me. Although, to be fair, I haven't used it a lot, so my opinion may change down the road. Part of it may be that I'm not a big fan of mid-sized knives. My preference is either 4" and less or more than 8". Another thing is that I find the handle too big and cumbersome, for the size of the knife, whereas I don't feel the same way about the Machax. Also, the scales on the Machax are made of a different material and feel a lot nicer.

I think I could do it because I like both manufacturers, but it means I'll have to buy an RC-5. Actually, that's why I wanted to see the comparison in the first place.

We'll see if anyone else chimes in.

Doc

maybe a busse fan...or a mall ninja? Idk a blade designer with his own series of blade can offer an astute intelligent review of both blades from a first time user perspective would be more effective to reap an unbiased equal review of the items in question.

It may be difficult to find anyone on this forum who -- if only through reading posts -- hasn't developed at least some bias, if only unconsciously. I think a lot of us would like to do this test, but who really could?

we could research other peoples reviews and from the general consensus we can derive our answer. unless the reviewer already has a bias before the review.

I think I could do it because I like both manufacturers, but it means I'll have to buy an RC-5. Actually, that's why I wanted to see the comparison in the first place.

We'll see if anyone else chimes in.

Doc

In the interest of furthering this potential test, I have a brand new never used Ontario Rat5.

If you are interested in doing the test, I will send it to you for the test to be performed.

This offer is being made with full understanding that you had better beat these knives like they owe you money to explore their full potential. If the Ontario Rat gets busted, broken, bent, or disappears in a cloud of molecules, then so be it. No sweat on my end.

Chuck

In the interest of furthering this potential test, I have a brand new never used Ontario Rat5.

If you are interested in doing the test, I will send it to you for the test to be performed.

This offer is being made with full understanding that you had better beat these knives like they owe you money to explore their full potential. If the Ontario Rat gets busted, broken, bent, or disappears in a cloud of molecules, then so be it. No sweat on my end.

Chuck

That is a most generous offer, and I thank you for it, but have to decline at the moment. I wouldn't be able to get to the testing for awhile. In the meantime, somebody may be forthcoming that owns both.

Doc

Man you guys are harshing my mellow...Talking all "I'm a smarty pants and I can be neutral to both parties".

Give me all the knives! I just like to smash crap and I'm dang good at it! :D

Man you guys are harshing my mellow...Talking all "I'm a smarty pants and I can be neutral to both parties".

Give me all the knives! I just like to smash crap and I'm dang good at it! :D

What's that supposed to mean?

Nice offer but the Ontario Rat and the R.A.T. RC-5 are two very different knives.

I know, but the only one that I had to offer up was the Ontario version, and I thought that it sounded like Doc was wanting something to do:D

I have both myself, but I definitely am biased towards the BK-2. Whether that bias would show in the testing I don't know, plus it would be haphazard at best.

Chuck

thanks for hitting me back just noticed...I hope down the road you come back with your own bk7 story...even if it has a unhappy ending!

Back