What if I am traveling with my knife?

Hello everyone!

First of all sorry about my English this is not my native language (I really try to improve my skills) but I’m try to explain my situation.

I work as a long distance driver on company cargo van. So most of the time I’m going around the states and sometimes drive to Canada. I have a large fixed blade knife with 6.3 inches. Here it is:

278_Image_1322827933_skorpion_IMG_0734.jpg

I’m a little confused about knife laws in different states. As I understand only in Connecticut I cannot carry this knife at all open or conceal or even in my car (or I can? Correct me if I’m wrong). In other states I'm pretty sure that I can carry it open but I'm not sure about large cities like NY, LA etc.

So I’m asking for your advice guys. What should I do in my case? Is there any federal law for those who traveling (or working) around states or I should abide by the law of each state where I’m going?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Not a lawyer.
The AKTI site has useful information that you could look at as a starting point.
In Michigan that would (likely) not be legal. Fixed blades have very specific exceptions, use for hunting would be one.
Detroit and Lansing have their own specific knife laws as well.
Bottom line, an attorney would be were I would seek answers.
Which means finding a lawyer in each state you travel to get the right information.

Thanks for answering.
Sometimes I drive through three or four different states in one day. It's hard to find a lawyer in each of them(

Los Angeles County, you can carry a single edge fixed blade openly. I see this where I am all the time.

Beautiful knife. Here's the thing - ANY cop can take that from you for any reason he comes up with simply because he thinks he knows the law better than a lawyer - and maybe arrest you. In the end it will be whatever a Judge rules. If they broke the law you can sue them in court though it could be very expensive. It also really depends on where you are. New England doesn't think you really "need" a knife or a gun. I would consider carrying something smaller that won't "frighten" some cop. Some of them frighten easily. Or maybe use a concealed carry rig for that knife and keep a very low profile.

You usually don't want to cross any international border carrying a weapon.

I have had US Border Patrol agents quiz me when entering the USA from Canada if I have any weapons and vice versa.

Border Guards being what they are will pretty well always default any knife to the Weapon category unless it's like a slip joint or SAK.

I wouldn't risk it if you like the knife. Sometimes different cities and counties have their own laws, and many times carrying in a car counts as concealed carry.

For example until a few years ago knife laws in wisconsin could be set by municipalities...3inches in Milwaukee, 3.5 in Jefferson, no restriction ins steuben, etc. You could break 4 laws driving to a store.

I'm pretty sure the laws are still like this in places like Minnesota and Illinois.

*not a lawyer *

According to Transportation Security Administration (TSA) guidelines, travelers can pack knives, pocketknives and Swiss army knives in their checked bags if necessary, but they may not bring them onboard the plane in their carry-on luggage. The only exception is made for plastic or round-bladed butter knives, which are permitted in carry-on bags.

Back