What I'm Working On

Here's a bowie I am finishing up.

10.5" 5160 blade, SS fittings, claro walnut handle, 16" OAL. This is the nicest piece of walnut I have. I'll post a pic when the handle is finished, it's really outstanding ;).

It seems like the number of knife photos has been lacking lately, probably people getting ready for Blade. Anyway, I figured somebody should post something new :).

attachment.php

Matt

What I can see look outstanding.

The pic is a bit dark on my moniter. I do love walnut. Cant wait to see it.

That's another nice one Matt - walnut is an excellent choice. Thanks for posting this one up and give us some more when it's done (though it looks about done to me :D ).

Roger

Thanks guys. This one has some work left; the blade needs to be finished, the guard needs to be sealed, the handle and ferrule need to be polished, and the handle needs to be finished. Hopefully I'll get the majority of the work done today and the handle finished in a week or so.

I've got another big bowie to finish after this one :), I've developed some new (for me) techniques that are giving me perfectly (read no image distortion) flat grinds even on knives this size.

I'll post some more shots soon,

Matt

Here's a little update.

There is still quite a bit of work left, but it's coming together.

Excuse the terrible photo quality.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Matt

Thanks for the compliments guys, I appreciate them. The work is pretty much done now, the handle still has a few more days of oiling and curing. Everything should be done by next weekend, I'll post some pics.

Matt

That is one classy bowie Matt. Do you do your own sheaths or do you farm that work out?

Roger

Thanks Roger. I do my own leather work. I'm getting pretty good lately. It's actually a nice change to move from steel to leather. Seeing results in a couple hours opposed to twenty always feels good :). I'll post a pic of the sheath when I finish it.

~M

Damn Matt-

I have to admit I forget we have this forum now, and don't often look here.

That knife is pure class all the way!

Super clean, super sharp... AWESOME!

I think it's fare to say you're making some of the cleanest knives of anyone on these forums... and then some :)

Very cool!
-Nick-

Thank you very much Nick, but you're giving me way too much credit :).

Keep in mind I've used and handled a few of your knives, I still have a long way to come. So, you don't have to look over your shoulder for a while ;).

Great looking knife Matt - nice to see them coming along, your doing some really clean work.

Stephen

Great work, Matt.........still very much enjoy the little fighter you made for me.........haven't got that sheath done but it's on my 'To Do List'. :cool:

Thanks for the compliments guys.

The handle is still taking oil. The humidity is finally down, hopefully that will speed things up a bit. Better pics of the (hopefully) finished piece in a few days :).

Matt

Back