What initially sold you on Survive! Knives?

I think that the main reason I initially got interested in S! was the positive reviews I saw on the GSO 4 EDC, and the 4.1 as well as the 5.1. I already had a couple of 5.1s in hand when the TNP video ran, and I was able to pick up a TNP version. I jumped in with both feet with S! primarily because it was a PA company. I ended up with two 4.1s, three 5.1s, a 7/7 with a false grind and a 10 before Guy moved to Idaho. Each one of the S! knives that I received is an exceptional value. After receiving my 10, I sort of went in a different direction with my fixed blade knife purchases, getting into a Georgian knife maker that will remain nameless. One day I was checking BF to see what Guy was up to, and I found this subforum. This has resulted in 3 more preorders, and getting in on the factory 2nd 5 release. I currently have a 4.1, 6 and 8 on order, and I hope to get another 5.1 after the first of the year.

I think that the main reason I initially got interested in S! was the positive reviews I saw on the GSO 4 EDC, and the 4.1 as well as the 5.1. I already had a couple of 5.1s in hand when the TNP video ran, and I was able to pick up a TNP version. I jumped in with both feet with S! primarily because it was a PA company. I ended up with two 4.1s, three 5.1s, a 7/7 with a false grind and a 10 before Guy moved to Idaho. Each one of the S! knives that I received is an exceptional value. After receiving my 10, I sort of went in a different direction with my fixed blade knife purchases, getting into a Georgian knife maker that will remain nameless. One day I was checking BF to see what Guy was up to, and I found this subforum. This has resulted in 3 more preorders, and getting in on the factory 2nd 5 release. I currently have a 4.1, 6 and 8 on order, and I hope to get another 5.1 after the first of the year.
I completely understand the addiction!

The video testimonials first caught my attention.. but what really got me interested was the word of mouth was 100% postiive.
I have NEVER before Survive! come across ANY knife/KniveMaker be it Randal,Barkie,Busse that had 100% positive reviews and word of mouth everywhere. For awhile I actually thought it must be some type of viral scam where some small maker got a group of paid shills to falsely hype up his product in a social media blitz. I didn't see how 100% positive reviews EVERYWHERE was possible. Finally curiosity got the better of me and I ordered a gso 5.1. I had to see what all the fuss was about and if this was for real..
Once I had it in my hands and did a little outdoors work with it, I quickly saw it was the real deal.. And no, I have not been paid for this review..

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

This is something that I was taught in the first minutes on the first day of architecture school. To me, it perfectly expresses both the design process and the qualities of a great design. I think that S!K are the prefect mix of functionality and minimalism. That is what initially sold me on S!K.

Last edited:
I completely agree. Everything you need, nothing you don't.

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

This is something that I was taught in the first minutes on the first day of architecture school. To me, it perfectly expresses both the design process and the qualities of a great design. I think that S!K are the prefect mix of functionality and minimalism. That is what initially sold me on S!K.

It was a confluence of events. I had a Dave Beck model G WSK on order, then changed it to a Model C WSK, and very recently changed it to one of his Scout knives. He recently emailed me and said he had one available so I jumped on it. So I had been looking at fixed blade survival / bush / camp knives and came upon Survive! Knives, which led me to their facebook and instagram feeds, which has a surprising amount of great information directly from Guy and Ellie. And one of the searches led me to bf, and the Survive! Knives forum.

What I like with GSO knives is the blade shape,blade steel,blade sharpnes,affordability and simplified user look.Something like Sebenza in the folding knives.
Simplicity is the key to brilliance.

What I like with GSO knives is the blade shape,blade steel,blade sharpnes,affordability and simplified user look.Something like Sebenza in the folding knives.
Simplicity is the key to brilliance.

Good Comparison! I couldn't agree more.

Junkyard

I learned about them through this forum after hearing about a knife from Equip to Endure. And seeing it compared to other 3v knives like Fiddleback Forge and Nathan the Machinist. And then reading about it here on this subforum. My research had lead me to 3v and Cpm 154 and M390 as the knife materials I felt would serve my needs best... And then to learn that Survive was using 2 of the 3, and now adding the 3rd. M390 being basically S 20cv. Looking forward to holding these someday.

i was looking for a hard use knife for edc and came across a video of guy? stabbing a kevlar vest with a 7/7.

i was looking for a hard use knife for edc and came across a video of guy? stabbing a kevlar vest with a 7/7.
That's the first time I've heard of anyone finding a 7/7 while looking for an EDC. That's an unusual size for that intended use.

Read a review on Bushcraft USA and ended up with a GSO 3.5. Liked it a lot. Was able to order a factory 2nd 4.1 (took me a while to find a small scratch) and REALLY liked that one. Now I have six GSO knives on order. :)

That's the first time I've heard of anyone finding a 7/7 while looking for an EDC. That's an unusual size for that intended use.

you ever taken a walk in the woods, paying no attention to where youre going, just heading in whichever direction you please at whichever point, wondering, investigating distraction to distraction? such is the way with youtube videos. we dont always end up where intended from the start.

you ever taken a walk in the woods, paying no attention to where youre going, just heading in whichever direction you please at whichever point, wondering, investigating distraction to distraction? such is the way with youtube videos. we dont always end up where intended from the start.
Perfect analogy. It's fun to learn how people find their way into the family. I think you may hold the record for the most indirect route. ;-)

Your comment put a chuckle on me. So funny but yet so true. Good one!

Besides the quality materials and attention to detail used in his knives, the big draw was how much personal interaction Guy is willing to put in when i have asked him a question or 10 about his knives. He is very active on the facebook forum which i have not found to be the case with most makers.
I posted a for trade item on that facebook group and within 10 minutes Guy actually traded a new 5.1 for my item-
I also am drawn by the whole small scale craft knife product vs the big box store every man's knife kind of knife brands. Lastly, that his designs are getting slightly changed from generation to generation is cool as well since there will never be a lot of any 1 model in circulation.

Back