What is a good throwing knife

What is the best throwing knife for the money it doesnt have to be amazing and super expensive just something simple and easy to throw:):):):):)

Well there's plenty out there to choose from, pretty much any sturdy knife with a full tang and a strong tip will work. Bigger blades are easier for most to get the hang of because of slower rotation and better control at farther distances.

Just off the top of my head, some popular brands are:

-Gil Hibben throwers by United

-Cold steel has a pretty good selection

-Sog has some decent looking ones

Here's a pic of some things I'm throwing right now...

various2008-2009196.jpg

The five matching blades are Gil Hibben, the spiked tomahawk is from condor, and the others are cheap no-name brands....

Tomahawks are also a lot of fun, and make great woods tools to boot:thumbup: ...here's a couple of mine....
various2008-2009100.jpg

^modded Rifleman from CS^
various2008-2009106.jpg

^Craftsman carpenters hatchet that I modified into this hawk-like thing.:D

anyone know the ideal hardness for a throwing knife? I make knives and shuriken but I make my knives too hard to throw (around Rockwell 57-60c) and I make my bo shuriken out of low carbon steel, I'd rather have them bend than bounce or break.

sure I could make dead soft throwing knives but they'd ding up much faster than a dart. it seems like some kind of heat treatment, even if it was minimal would be necessary.

I'm going to forge a blade or 2 tomorrow and if I end up making a thrower I was thinking of using 1075 steel and annealing it at around 600F just to see what happens. I don't have much experience with throwing knives but if there is some ideal hardness for a thrower id like to know it :p

I'm just guessing but maybe something like 1050 or 1060 carbon steel (something more commonly used in swords than knives) would be an ideal steel to make a thrower out of.

Hathegkla, I would think you would want not more than a 54 hardness on a thrower. (54 is a pretty common axe & machete hardness)

SKS Spike Bayonets are decent and cheap, can be found for about $3 each.

The heavier and longer the better when it comes to throwers. I like them to be at least a foot long, preferably longer.

cold steel, pick them up for cheap on ebay.

they work for newbies, they last forever cuz they are well made and the steel is great.

they work for newbies, they last forever cuz they are well made and the steel is great.
They work great for people who have been throwing for over 25 years. I've enjoyed the CS throwers for their durability and low cost. My only annoyance is that the blades are pretty effing sharp for a thrower, and you need to be careful when throwing by the blade that you don't slice your thumb on the release. Other than that, they're perfect for anyone.

The one with the ring fingerguard in it is an United Cutlery Delta Defender. It's not a super knife but I like the design. Unfortunately these have been discontinued. Where did you score that one?

The one with the ring fingerguard in it is an United Cutlery Delta Defender. It's not a super knife but I like the design. Unfortunately these have been discontinued. Where did you score that one?

Got it at a gun show about ten years ago.

I've beat on it pretty good, it's fun to flip with the ring gaurd but the handle is terrible painfull to chop with. So I started using it as a thrower and it works pretty darn good for that! ....it's probably too big and too sharp to throw well from the blade, so I mostly throw it from the handle.:)

Got it at a gun show about ten years ago.

I've beat on it pretty good, it's fun to flip with the ring gaurd but the handle is terrible painfull to chop with. So I started using it as a thrower and it works pretty darn good for that! ....it's probably too big and too sharp to throw well from the blade, so I mostly throw it from the handle.:)

Alright, thanks. Still on the lookout for one of those, they look nice :cool:

buy a cheap pack of large screwdrivers. they stick great and are cheap. you can also go to junk yards and get some of the old tire irons. cut them down to abou 12 inches and grind a point on them

bo shurikens (or spikes) are good for starting out. i made some bos using 8mm round construction steel and 10mm square low-carbon steel and it flies real good (using 3/4 or 1/2 spin but mostly i threw them with no-spin techniques). you can get those materials from junks or bought it on a construction shops. screwdrivers works too, but it's more expensive...:)

One cheap way I have practiced is with a set of dollar store steak knives. The target will determine things a little more for you. I used to throw them at a regular 10 dollar dart board. Having six that are the same makes it easy to learn consistancy, you can make adjustments without losing your exact starting point.

This is not a marketplace to buy and sell knives. If you are looking to buy knives, you need to post in the appropriate forum.

Bobby Branton

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got to second the Gil Hibben knives. I've been throwing the Hibben (8") knives, a Cold Steel True Balance, and some other cheap knives. I love the Hibbens, and I just ordered the large set. I think they're the best. Good quality, well balanced, and they stick hard.

@hathegkla: You asked for hardness. I'm going for softer throwing knives: if I ding them, they're more easily repaired with a file.

My favourite thrower is the Gran Lanxador manufactured by Nieto. It's not too heavy (200g), slides perfectly out of the hand, and I never broke one in 8+ years. In heavier knives, the CS perfect balance thrower is the best for the buck (once you remove the handle slabs, easy).

With the Hibben throwers I have some beef, the curve at the end of the handle messes up my realease.

This site (mine) also gives you a complete rundown of throwing-knife features, and has test reports on some (including CS): Encyclopedia of Throwing Knives.

My favourite thrower is the Gran Lanxador manufactured by Nieto. It's not too heavy (200g), slides perfectly out of the hand, and I never broke one in 8+ years. In heavier knives, the CS perfect balance thrower is the best for the buck (once you remove the handle slabs, easy).

With the Hibben throwers I have some beef, the curve at the end of the handle messes up my realease.

This site (mine) also gives you a complete rundown of throwing-knife features, and has test reports on some (including CS): Encyclopedia of Throwing Knives.

I've heard good things about the Gran Lanxador. I'd like to get my hands on one, but they've been elusive here in the U.S. I like the adjustable counter-weight idea.

As far as the Hibben is concerned, that's the knife I learned on, and the spine just feels right to me. It's all about what your muscle memory is used to doing.

Back