What is a reinforced point?

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Someone was asking "what is a reinforced point?"

I'm at the other shop right now and I don't have access to my computer so I'm trying to articulate a complex subject to my phone. We'll see how this goes...

A knife maker, or any design engineer for that matter, has to try to optimize the geometry of their work for its use. A field knife is a general purpose cutting tool intended to cut well in many ways. The Shiv was a dedicated stabbing weapon that was built to tolerate extremely rough use in order to be able to poke holes in walls in addition to people. The Utility Fighter was a Shiv turned into a general purpose utility knife tweaked to work as a fighter.

20200609_133446.jpg

The Field Knife has good general purpose geometry that is reasonably slicey but won't fail in any kind of halfway reasonable use when relied upon in the field. And after the first few, we started tweaking the grinds and tip a little bit to put additional meat behind the point. But it is fundamentally a full flat grind near the point and the tip will fail if used for heavy prying.

20200609_133458.jpg

A change to a design to make this sort of knife tolerate prying better would be to drop the shoulders down from the spine to a point better aligned with the tip. That way the center of the blade is behind the point is the strongest part of the blade.

20200609_133850.jpg

This kind of a diamond shaped cross section is a reinforced point.

you may ask yourself, wouldn't it be stronger still if you didn't cut away the material in the diamond above? The answer is yes, probably. But for that why even cut bevels at all? You could simply sharpen a hardened steel solid bar. The goal is to optimize the geometry for the use. And the fighters have a reinforced point where the meat of the blade is closer to and directly behind that point.

Resized_20200609_132727.jpeg

overtime the utility fighters have gotten thinner and the field knives have gotten thicker and we have started leaving more meat behind the point so the difference between the two is less than it once was, but generally speaking the Utility Fighter is going to tolerate stabbing better than the Field Knife and would probably be the better tool for poking a hole in a block wall or soft body armor.

And I should clarify there are a number of different ways to make a point stronger. This is only one way, but in my opinion it is the best way for a stabbing weapon.

Quick question, I have a utility fighter in AEBL, does the steel make a difference in the strength of the tip or should it be just as strong as the d3v version?

Also are we talking earth body armor or alien invader body armor? Just so we know for planning purposes.

One of the things that makes particle metallurgy super steels tougher than their conventional cast counterparts is the finer carbide size does not create the stress risers that you would see in a conventional melt steel. Like Infi, since AEBL already has few carbides in it, it is a tough steel that would not even benefit from the particle metallurgy process. there are a few charts that have been made out there that show AEBL as being incredibly tough. However that has not been my experience. It is quite tough, quite strong, but it is not in the same league as 3V or A8 mod.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that :) I knew I had asked about the reinforced point before. I guess I should’ve just asked simply will you make an Fk with reinforced point like the UF one day. I truly did not mean for the original question to turn to such a long conversation. So again thank you for taking the time to provide all the information :)

Now about that stabby fk ;):p:D:D:D

Traditionally, a reinforced point was a point with a built up diamond cross section used to punch through personal armor like chainmail. You can still see these often on antique Indian katars and similar knives.

n2s

Nathan what do you think about the Tanto tip? I’ve read it’s supposed to be good for piercing. Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist

The K18 utilizes a modified tanto.

The intersection of two primary grinds in a dagger grind can lead to a weaker point. I'm strengthening this point in several ways.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The primary grind becomes a little more obtuse as it approaches the point and I'm flaring the grind out some to leave more meat behind the point. So although the rear edge is very thin for a sword it triples in thickness as it approaches the tip. The end result will be a durable point on this short sword.

The intersection of two primary grinds in a dagger grind can lead to a weaker point. I'm strengthening this point in several ways.

View attachment 1356308

View attachment 1356309

View attachment 1356310

The primary grind becomes a little more obtuse as it approaches the point and I'm flaring the grind out some to leave more meat behind the point. So although the rear edge is very thin for a sword it triples in thickness as it approaches the tip. The end result will be a durable point on this short sword.
Sweeeeeeet...

View attachment 1356308

View attachment 1356309

View attachment 1356310

I do not want to wind up on the business end of that.

short-circuit_2.jpg

Back