What is Grivory?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18431179@N03/7158297724/

Anyway, this stuff is advertised as fiber-filled.

Has anyone tested Kryptoglow material or used it long enough to know how durable it is? I know the Grivory handles are tough and I'm saving them, but they only come in black.
I have used it on my BK2 its OK but if you overtighten it will get small cracks inside the holes but they are pretty tough and you will never loose your knife in the dark NEVER!they are super bright at night,I think they are a hard plastic though kinda like what some cutting boards are made of

Thanks, I havent had time to test them yet. With green handles the BK9 looks like just another gardening tool. I figure that's a form of camo!

They're going to switch all the handles, even on the full size Beckers to Zytel? Isn't Zytel weaker? Oh well, at least I got my 2 while they were still using Grivory. I've had Zytel on a CRKT M16-10KZ, and I thought it felt really cheap in comparison to Grivory. Oh well, at least now it won't feel like such an investment to buy Micarta, and will be somewhat mandatory.

They're going to switch all the handles, even on the full size Beckers to Zytel? Isn't Zytel weaker? Oh well, at least I got my 2 while they were still using Grivory. I've had Zytel on a CRKT M16-10KZ, and I thought it felt really cheap in comparison to Grivory. Oh well, at least now it won't feel like such an investment to buy Micarta, and will be somewhat mandatory.

No, the zytel scales are solid not like the grivory and that probably makes them stronger.

Hey febeleh......

Glass content and texture make a hell of a differnce in feel.....Especially texture......You evidently missed the part where I used a hand sledge on some Zytel grips without destroying them........A steel sandwich with Zytel in the middle........The great question is always.....What is strong enough?.....There is very little actual differenc between the two...Made by different companies and there may be slightly differring mech properties but I would be willing to bet that the onesmost signifigant, compression strength and impact strength there is no signifigant differrence.......Micarta rocks though........It will also take a mild sledging and it will not melt if left too close to the fire....Stinks when charring tho.....

All Best....

Ethan

all Best....

Ethan

What is GFN-PA66? Ka-Bar makes several knives with pebbled textured scales that looks to be molded-in, in black, brown and lime green for the Johnson Adventure and new ZK lines. Will it hold up to impact, chemicals and heat?

bearcrusher,

GFN-PA66 is the generic description of the thermo-plastic being discussed. Glass Filled Nylon- Poly Amide 66
Zytel is a DuPont Trademarked name for GFN-PA66, Grivory is a Company name; GV6H is their product number for GFN-PA66.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Say Heah Guys, so no change, no change, Zytel and Grivory is the same with different names by different companies, kewl beanz, because I actually like my Grivory Handle Beckers I don't have slippage and I rock with mine, but as a Long Knife and to give my Rodent Rucki a rest, I bought a new set of knives for my Summer Long Knife for the brambles in my State, I bought the Potbelly and the Parangatang, a video concerned me when they said it feels cheap I said Oh Oh but this Forum will defenetly make me sleep better tonight heh heh heh.

holy thread necrophlia.

you like the dead? :D

He normally isn't, but since he was able to find out that they can take a beating in the process...

Polyphthalamide (aka. PPA, High Performance Polyamide) is a thermoplastic synthetic resin of the polyamide (nylon) family that is used to replace metals in high temperature automotive applications, as the housing for high temperature electrical connectors and multiple other uses. It has found a degree of favor for use in cutlery. Cold Steel has advertised the glass fibre reinforced series as being stealthy (due to them not being detected by metal detectors and having no metallic reflections) and, being made of "Grivory" (a trade name), stronger than previous models made of "Zytel".

As a member of the nylon family, it is a semi-crystalline material composed from a diacid and a diamine. However, the diacid portion contains at least 55% terephthalic acid (TPA) or isophthalic acid (IPA). TPA or IPA are aromatic components which serve to raise the melting point, glass transition temperature and generally improve chemical resistance vs. standard aliphatic nylon polymers.

Copied from Wikipedia

Don't listen to that techno-babble posted above; it's to throw the uninitiated off of the breadcrumb trail.

This of us who have really delved into this with dedication have begun to garner the profound truth.

Forensic examination does, in fact, reveal Grivor lineage. Pre-historic Grivors are believed to have inhabited what is now post Ice Age North America. Because remnants of these rare, endangered, but not yet extinct species still have surviving progeny even to this day - the name Grivor may be a combination of the words GReat and survIVOR. On to what little is known about the Grivor:

These beasts were hairy, strong and smart. They used their superior intellect to fashion sharp objects from what natural resources presented themselves to the Grivors in their native and nomadic environs. The also were known to concoct beverages that seemingly enhanced their strength and intellect from grapes or grains through simple processes of fermentation or a more complicated process of boiling to make steam, then chilling to condense the steam. Grivors generally ambulated erect except for when too much of these concocted beverages were consumed. Less profound thinkers eventually used this steam that the Grivors wisely used to make beverages and amused themselves by directing the steam towards and turbine which would rotate, spin magnets near each other and make what is now referred to as "electricity." Whatever!

Back to the important stuff, the fermented beverages were sometimes either misplaced or confused with non-fermented liquids and run through the boiling - steaming - condensing process and consumed by the Grivors. This beverage made them especially stronger and smarter and also inspired profound dimensions of thought and imagination.

Grivors were aggressive consumers of meat. It is believed that the proteins and DNA in the meat they consumed (in earnest) attributed to their muscular abilities and hunter/predator ways. Killing, processing and eating the meat required implements to facilitate these tasks. Their superior intellect caused them to fashion what are now known as "knives" from stone, obsidian, and blends of carbons and other materials found naturally on earth. These blends of iron and other minerals were the beginnings, unknown to them at the time, of modern day "steel." Steel was used extensively in the killing and cutting of the animals they would eventually consume.

Striking their carbon steel knives against certain rocks allowed these amazing mammals to imitate the Sparks from Heaven or God Fire that they witnessed from the sky when weather suddenly changed. This led to fire and cooking of the meat. Then, one day, a Grivor, after consuming much cooked meat and much fermented (and distilled) beverages left his carbon steel knife in or near the fire until it was red hot. The Grivors feared that knife had become demon possessed and sought to kill it by holding it against a rock and smashing it repeatedly with another rock. It took a while but the redness of the knife eventually subsided but the knife was still too hot to handle without the tanned skin of their prey or other hand protection so they threw it in water and then later (and cautiously) retrieved it. The demons now having been thoroughly removed from the wayward Grivor's knife, it was returned to him.

Eventually the Grivors saw that this particular knife performed better than theirs and they wondered why. Through their superior intellect and imbibing of their favored beverages, they decided to take a random sampling of their knives, put those also into the fire until demon possessed and then perform an exorcism of sorts as they did with the first demon possessed Grivor's knife. When that random sample all performed better they put all of their knives through the same process.

History does not tell us how these Grivors evolved to where a precious few of their progeny exist today but while a hearty breed, they are endangered by the largely outnumbering rafts of competing, though lesser, species called "Sheeple."

Sheeple multiplied like weeds - invasive weeds that offer little value for food, shelter, implements or beverages. Though useless and invasive, they multiply in numbers and speak much - much too loudly and much too much. They abhor the killing of animals for food - unless someone else does the killing for them. They see knives, especially the exorcised ones surprisingly, as evil. That said, they readily seek the benefits of these evil implements when they need to have molecules separated for availing themselves their type of food (which comes in chemical based packaging contra to the Grivor's which came in natural packaging) or medical procedures and the like. They speak voluminously about that which they know not and know not of that which we speak.

Sadly, the Grivors are losing ground in the modern day world, but thankfully the essence of these early wonders' DNA has been revealed in the handles of Becker Knives.

Last edited:
Scientific archive images of this rare, endangered and intriguing species.

Attachments

• Becker2.jpg
    Becker2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Becker3.jpg
    Becker3.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 16
  • Becker4.jpg
    Becker4.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Becker6.jpg
    Becker6.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 12
I just joined this forum for the single purpose to reply to this thread. I was searching the same question and came across this thread in the search. I have to say the light humor snark is fantastic. Bravo, well done! It is a fine line between good humored snark, and outright jerk trolling. If the rest of the forum has the same level of silly wit, then I think I am gonna like it here.

The reason I was searching was I assumed it was some made up branding word, and seems it is just a glass reinforced nylon, give or take a chemical bond or two. What interested me is I was looking at the couple new versions of the CRKT Provoke that uses this as handle material vs. the standard aluminum handle. Given this is an articulated blade with multiple pivot points I wondered if the $125 savings was worth it in the long run. I am sure general F* around use in the hand is fine. I was more concerned if it was deployed in defensive use if that might be a measure ofrisk regarding integrity issues of connection points. You don’t want to be standing there with a handle in your hand and the blade on the ground in a dynamic situation. Anyone have thoughts on that?

I'm pretty sure it's the hardened, molded skin of the elusive Grivor, a South African reptile.
Ethan has a special collection visa he worked out with the South African government during his climbing days.

lizard.jpg
I sure hope the Grivor fares better than it's cousin the Nauga which was hunted into extinction back in the 1960's for it's pelt. Back then everyone wanted a sofa made from genuine Nauga hide.

I have never heard of a transitional form of Grivauga, or Naugor, depending on husbandry. That doesn't mean that one may not emerge at some point.

I just joined this forum for the single purpose to reply to this thread. I was searching the same question and came across this thread in the search. I have to say the light humor snark is fantastic. Bravo, well done! It is a fine line between good humored snark, and outright jerk trolling. If the rest of the forum has the same level of silly wit, then I think I am gonna like it here.

The reason I was searching was I assumed it was some made up branding word, and seems it is just a glass reinforced nylon, give or take a chemical bond or two. What interested me is I was looking at the couple new versions of the CRKT Provoke that uses this as handle material vs. the standard aluminum handle. Given this is an articulated blade with multiple pivot points I wondered if the $125 savings was worth it in the long run. I am sure general F* around use in the hand is fine. I was more concerned if it was deployed in defensive use if that might be a measure ofrisk regarding integrity issues of connection points. You don’t want to be standing there with a handle in your hand and the blade on the ground in a dynamic situation. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Several popular brands have used FRN as handles on their folding knives for decades with the only real complaint being "it feels cheap in hand" and if the scale is too thin, it will flex slightly when gripped excessively hard. Even so, I have not heard of any failures.

As far as my understanding goes, when someone lists something as grivory, it is essentially zytel. By many standards, zytel is a faux grivory but most people seem to prefer zytel anyways. An easy way to distinguish the two is that the skin of the grivor has always been black (aside for extremely rare occasions). If you get a becker with lime green colored scales, you can be sure that the scales came from none other than a zygodactyl, or “zytel” as is the trademarked name. With such uncertainties surrounding the grivor, kabar had found this zytel to be a more than suitable replacement.

so, considering 3D printing, and grivory/zytel as a replacement for the material in the crkt.com/provoke.html ...

no problem

everyday to full combat... unless you are a top 1% knife fighter: cool :D

that said, i want both

Back