What is it about slipjoints?

stu

I just got my first tax return, and I have to say, there isn't any feeling quite like getting a check from the department of the treasury with your name on it. So, inspired by jackknife's tales and funded by Uncle Sam, I decided to go down to the local knife store and get myself a slipjoint as a bit of an early graduation present. I figure, hey, if I am going to finally be an adult, I should carry an adult's pocketknife.

I finally decided on a Case medium stockman, it looks exactly like the one here: http://www.wrcase.com/knives/pocket....php?Family='Working'&Folding='1'&Item='0217'

Now, up until recently I had been enamoured with the more modern 'tactical' knives. I regularly went everywhere with a Ka-Bar Mule, a Benchmade Mini Grip and an old SAK, I think it is a Tinker. However, since I've carried this little stockman, all of that seems superfluous. I can get it razor sharp, and while it won't hold the edge for a million years like all of those super steels, I never feel that I am lacking anything if it is the only knife in my pocket when I leave the house.

So, what is it about a slipjoint that makes it seem like it is the only knife you will ever need?

'Cause it just is
-Vince

Good choice.. Its not that you will ever need another knife but you will NEEEEED another knife. Its a terrible addiction that none of us can shake. And as far as it not being super sharp forever, keeping it sharp will keep you sharp forever. best of luck.-Joel

Hey stu...I'm pretty new to the slipjoint world myself, and was pretty enamored with "tactical" too.

You know why I think a slippie is the only knife I need?

I dont need to pierce armor. I don't need to slash a beef brisket hanging from a rope. I don't need a sharp pybar. I don't need my knife open NOW! I have no need to put my knife through a car's hood. I don't need to fend off gangs of ruffians and brigands.

Once in a while I need to cut something. My slipjoint does that, it feels nice in my hand (I've taken to using it as a fretstone), and its soothing looking.

Simple. Done. Relax. aaahhhhh....

Hey stu...I'm pretty new to the slipjoint world myself, and was pretty enamored with "tactical" too.

You know why I think a slippie is the only knife I need?

I dont need to pierce armor. I don't need to slash a beef brisket hanging from a rope. I don't need a sharp pybar. I don't need my knife open NOW! I have no need to put my knife through a car's hood. I don't need to fend off gangs of ruffians and brigands.

Once in a while I need to cut something. My slipjoint does that, it feels nice in my hand (I've taken to using it as a fretstone), and its soothing looking.

Simple. Done. Relax. aaahhhhh....

Yeah,that is right,plus,there are so many cool brands and patterns,check out this mini trapper
DSCN0017.jpg
[/IMG]

It connects us with our past...Our grandparents, parents and many of the events in our history bringing us to the present day. (Regardless of your nationality.)

When I pick up one of the old pieces (Remington, Russell, Waterville) I wonder who carried this knife and about the times it has lived through.

When I pick up a modern factory equivalent, or a handmade custom, I'm thankful that there is still enough sentiment left in these unsettled times to reflect on and appreciate the past. A very significant and powerful past.

It connects us with our past...Our grandparents, parents and many of the events in our history bringing us to the present day. (Regardless of your nationality.)

When I pick up one of the old pieces (Remington, Russell, Waterville) I wonder who carried this knife and about the times it has lived through.

When I pick up a modern factory equivalent, or a handmade custom, I'm thankful that there is still enough sentiment left in these unsettled times to reflect on and appreciate the past. A very significant and powerful past.
That's right,and you may just find yourself getting into vintage slips
This Pine Knott jack,is old enough,that I don't know,if they called the fake jigged bone plastic then,but it the blades are full,and sharp,with great snap,no bladeplay,and halfstops,too.Maybe it's original owners "babied" it
DSCN1857-2.jpg
[/IMG]

There is something about the way they feel in your hand. That snap when opening them. That traditional look like dad and granddad had. Too bad for you...its addicting and you will soon be buying more. Next years tax check is already being spent. haha.

....and you may start patina-izing a modern factory carbon steel Eye Brand Brown Smooth Bone Mini Trapper that happens to be the first slippie you ever bought for yourself....(two weeks ago)

EyeBrandMiniTrapper.jpg

Why make a new knife look old? Why post pictures of it to strangers on the internet to see, like its a baby?

Damned if I know, but here I am, and I'm quite enjoying the whole thing. I didn't enjoy tactical (I don't think you're supposed to).

I love both modern "tactical" and classic traditional knives. I got these two in the mail today and am very pleased. :D

mojomule.JPG

The Mini Mojo has all the bells and whistles such as, assisted opening, stud lock, G-10 scales, trigger safety, pocket clip, 440A stainless, excellent fit and finish, fancy recurve blade, and razor sharp out of the box.

The Brown Mule on the other hand is simplicity at its finest; no lock, nail nick two-hand opening, no pocket clip, wood scales, unknown carbon steel, rough fit and finish, basic drop-point blade, and less than sharp out of the box. I spent some time on my sharpening equipment and put a nice edge on it though. :thumbup:

I've been playing with both knives all afternoon and appreciate what each has to offer. What will I carry tomorrow? Who knows, but it's great to have such diverse choices. :)

Well, Stu... I hate to be the only negative voice here, but I'm not sure I like stockmans all that much. Case's 47 patterns are the exception, but still - I probably have less than 30 of those! It's a pain trying to decide which one to carry.

Looking at this thread I just realized I have to go get one of those Eye Brand Mini trappers like Marcinek posted there. Luckily I already have the green Queen or this thread would cost me twice as much.

while I still carry a Strider or a small custom fixed blade , I do carry a slippie in addition to other knives.

Slippies are just traditional and never go out of style , they dont freak people out when you use em , and my slippies are like my worry stone. When on conference calls or watching TV , the feeling of a slippy just frees the mind.

Some of my friends call it my " old persons knife " , fine so be it , maybe I am getting old , but if enjoying slipjoints is part of getting old , get me some branches of that tree , my recliner and my coffee... I will grow old peacefully , whittle by whittle ;)

Welcome to the traditional, rusty, good old world!
In my colection you'll find just one tactical knife.... never again :) for me there's nothing better as a traditional slippie, just like the one your great grandfather had.
Come on, 100 years ago, they used their knifes much more than us today!
And if I want to get in my car, I use the keys and don't have to pierce the roof with a tactical knife!
People are not scared if you pull out your traditional slippie and I never missed a lock on mine.
Rust is not an issue if you use your knife and with some oil once a while - just cut up some salami and whipe it off, that will be enough to prevent rust.

Here's my favorite, like this company is producing since about 150 years.
anker_gross2.jpg

regards
surfer

I figure, hey, if I am going to finally be an adult, I should carry an adult's pocketknife.

That quote says an awful lot, my friend. I've pretty much come to consider this little neck of the Bladeforums woods the place where the adults hang out. Sure, I root around the other areas but, more often than not, when I read posts where guys claim they can't get by with anything less than their $250 "tactical" serrated, tanto-point prybar with ridged thumbrest and framelock, I have to laugh. :jerkit:

So anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of grownup knives.

(Lastly, do remember, that good-looking new Case knife of yours was funded by YOU, not Uncle Sam. Getting a fat tax refund just means you made a zero-interest loan to the government for the better part of a year.)

I think theres alot of truth in that statement!

On some level, we feel a need to be conected to our past. Look at the popularity of retro styled Harley-Davidson motorcycles, the new Mini-Cooper, cowboy action shooting, and the return of traditional archery. All across the board, people are returning to some of the old ways. A friend who owns a gun shop told me recently the sales of his Glocks and other high tech pistols has sort of stalled, but he can't get enough of the recently returned Ruger Flat tops in. Also in the past couple of years, due to demand, a bit more than half his store has been taken over with cowboy action stuff. Guns and clothing. People will spend as much on the clothing as the guns, to dress up like it was 1880 again.

I think also the sheer practicality of the slip joint is why its still with us and always will be. They just work, and thats the bottom line. Most patterns of slip joint came about because of a need in a less technolgical age for a working pocket tool. The tactical stuff is basicly an invention of marketing of the 1980's, in how to keep stimulating sales, by commin out with more and more hyped nonsence about being aboe to punch through car doors and such. Stimulating sales by the need to have the latest and greatest in wonder steels, and mall ninja design of blades with usless features. Knives like stockmans, trappers, sodbusters, all came about in a time where it had to work to survive. A hard working rancher, farmer, factory worker, could'nt afford a knife or tool that did not function well at its intended task.

Slippys just work. Always have, always will.

...The tactical stuff is basicly an invention of marketing of the 1980's, in how to keep stimulating sales, by commin out with more and more hyped nonsense about being able to punch through car doors and such. Stimulating sales by the need to have the latest and greatest in wonder steels, and mall ninja design of blades with usless features. Knives like stockmans, trappers, sodbusters, all came about in a time where it had to work to survive. A hard working rancher, farmer, factory worker, could'nt afford a knife or tool that did not function well at its intended task.

Slippys just work. Always have, always will.

Well, there's a lot of truth in that statement as well.

I spent 20+ years in federal law enforcement (5 years on SRT) and never once in all those years did I have to perform any of those tasks that our friend jackknife "takes to task" in his post.

Also, in all the years backpacking and rock climbing around the US (from Alaska to NH) and Canada, never did I need to use my knife to get out of harrowing situations.

That said, I do have a few excellent tactical style knives made by some great custom (and factory) makers.

And by way of example, (and he's not the only one), though Kit Carson is known for many of his "tactical" designs, I'd put his knifemaking abilities right up there with just about anyone. So, you have to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Another two cents (maybe worth less). ;)

So, you have to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Excellent point, Blues...anybody wants to give me a Delica (or Chinook! or Sebenza!), I'll take it...but I will not be buying any X-Treme Tac Spec Ops Stabinators.

I thought I might as well add my voice to this discussion, because my perspective is fairly different. If they were for knife laws and restrictions of social perception I would probably carry mostly which would consider tactical knives large and well made. I have become someone interested in this forum lately have been drawn in by the 52 pickup contest first off I'd like to ask your opinion of the knife I picked up for this contest. it is a boker tree brand classic 703 it has a fairly tactical looking handle brushed steel with fine hardwood inlay and in inset but in lock that locks the fine German steel blade closed and open, is a top lock model with a thick 3 mm drop point blade with to and nail make opening if not traditional it seems fairly classic to me and I got it at a good price I don't know if that'll be appropriate I'll probably throw in a traditional case Sod buster or original shrade old-timer with this offering. Is this the night type of knife you guys would be interested in or is it wholly inappropriate, I could trade off for a slip joints some kind. Probably won't and I think it is appropriate enough with my specific take on the project in mind.

I have a couple questions though my tendency with regards to traditional knives would be to cheat as much is possible I would want a lock back, high-end modern steel. and possibly even a small thumb stud, or deep nail nik that could be open with one hand. for example jess Horn made a traditional design for spyderco with a deep one hand openable nail nik 440v steel maybe ats 34 I forget which a lock back and an elegant polished pocket clip it had brushed deal bolsters and jid bone handle scale. to me this possibly without the pocket clip is the ideal traditional knife. with the exception of something that was actually made more than 50 years ago.

What am I missing, if anything. I can understand what you are saying about traditional slip joints but when she used to a lock back it's hard to go in the other direction. Plus even though I do not plan on rely on using my knife for self defense or very heavy use heavy you sometimes comes into play. and I admit self defense is always somewhere in my mind, in a back corner I am definitely not a fighter and would rather run, and I think in most cases the presence of the knife just makes things worse. I also understand that some of the old steals will take an edge, for the average user with normal skill like myself that is more keen, and more modern steals which tend to take more skill to achieve their optimum characteristics. I just don't know I seem to be drawn toward more modern materials. if I had a choice between mammoth ivory scale any scale made from some highly secure space-age material with an interesting look some kind of honeycombed carbide, alumina ceramic hybrid I would be hard-pressed to make a decision.

The idea that slipjoints are for adults and lockbacks for kids is ludicrous. I carry both on a daily basis, and use the lockback far more, as it's far more convenient to use. With as thin as it is, it cuts just as well, or better, than my stockman. The reason I carry my stockman is mainly sentimental.

Carry whatever you like for whatever reason you like, but to try to divide the knife community into 2 camps is unnecessary and wrong. I like both. And I carry both.

Looking at this thread I just realized I have to go get one of those Eye Brand Mini trappers like Marcinek posted there.

I highly recommend that knife Zip7 (may I recommend our friend Kenny @ Sooner State)...Like I said earlier, its the first slipjoint I ever bought for myself, and it serves all my needs...Does everything I could ever want.

I guess I'll never want to buy another slippie!;)

Back