What is it?

I don't recognize what it is, but it looks like some sort of bracket you'd see attached to an outside light. It's far too complicated to be a simple shelf mounting hook.

I was told it’s a tool. It looks like a piece of wood or a pipe goes into the curved part and the screw presses it into the spike.

It does look like it would attach to a wall with the screw at the top. Are there any marks cast in the flat part that's against the table?

Sorry I don’t have more info. Just the picture. It was presented as a challenge to us at work.

What about a coat rack, where a pole is attached to hang coat hangers on? The big blob thing is for a hat????

I just got the answer. It’s a support for a line shaft. Like on a belt drive machine shop. The cup catches the oil dripping out of the bearing. The square with the hole is some sort of pivot for the actuating lever.

Interesting. I never would have thought it was industrial based.

Apparently is was in the barn, but not mounted or in use.

Reactions: 315
It certainly doesn't look industrial.
Yup, industrial it is. You see those in pictures of old knife factories, where a water wheel driven shaft is running down the center of the shop with leather belts running the grinding wheels.
Here is something similar in an old machine shop-
zgbFQ0g.jpg

Great picture Arathol.

Industrial was different back then for sure. Things still had style

Yup, industrial it is. You see those in pictures of old knife factories, where a water wheel driven shaft is running down the center of the shop with leather belts running the grinding wheels.
Here is something similar in an old machine shop-
zgbFQ0g.jpg

That's so beautiful.

Edit: That also explains my confusion. I didn't see the Milwaukee bag next to it, and assumed it was only 6" long at the furthest points.

Back