What is Kirinite melting point?

I am wondering if Kirinite can be thermoformed, as Kydex sheaths are formed. Thanks. Kirt

I am wondering if Kirinite can be thermoformed, as Kydex sheaths are formed. Thanks. Kirt
Not In my experience ... I’ve used it a lot for my Culinarv Chef Knives... I make full tang blades, I cut to size my scales Epoxy & pin, then grind to shape my handles...

Kirinite is a trade name for Acrylic Acetate. Acrylic Acetate's melting point appears to be about 160 degrees Celsius or 320 degrees Fahrenheit. There seems to be some dispute over those numbers from the sources I looked at...so take with a grain of salt. Additionally Kirinite may have additional additives to the base acrylic acetate that might change the numbers.

Best bet as others mentioned is to try melting it and see what you get. If you do, let us know what you find out.

Regular acrylic can be heat formed/shaped, but usually in fairly gentle curves (think bow front aquariums).

Thank you, all. I will try it and report. This is a great forum. Kirt
Kirt, come to remember the thin stuff I’ve bought has come warped. During the Summer when it was heated over say 120 degrees in transit.. you might ask Micky Tracy at the Knife Dogs forum. USA knife makers, That’s where I’ve purchased all of my Kirinite, he sells a ton of this stuff and if anyone can,?he’ll know what to tell you!

Back