What is the best lightweight winter coat?

I've had quite a few lightweight down jackets over the years, nothing really stands out as much as an old Marmot Mountain I bought in 1977. It was designed more as a ski jacket with plenty of shoulder room, a tapered fit with a snow skirt.

I have a Patagonia down sweater that I like. Fine for casual wear in dry weather. It is a slim fit and not very puffy. I get cold easy being an old fart and it feels pretty nice at 35. The Nano Puffs are pretty decent but the stitching coming loose is a weak spot.

Last edited:
I've got a OR....think its outdoor research jacket I don't recall the name of it but its "pertex quantum" fabric....that thing is ridiculous....it doesn't matter if its 50° or 10° you're always comfortable...never too hot or cold....what they're doing with some of these clothes designed for hiking etc is impressive...even some of Columbia's stuff I'm a big fan of like their omni-heat is good for real cold temps...lots of really good gear out there with the fancy new fabrics but they do get a tad pricey

I like the look of the Outdoor research jackets:

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens-jackets

Just to further boost a couple brands.

Patagonia will repair gear regardless of age. The put a new zipper in a 30 year old fleece last year.
Arc'theryx will repair gear too. When the dog tore my nice fleece last year also they took it back, looked it over and declared it unfix-able so they sold me a new one for what they would have charged on the repair.

Reactions: JAB
+1 for Patagonia’s top-notch customer service.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Their Down Sweater works perfectly for me when temps drop into the mid/high thirties and lower and I’ll also add their Torrentshell over it when necessary.

Some very interesting stuff here, nothing I need but I'm a fan of jackets / coats so It was interesting to see what kind of fancy wilderness oriented stuff is out there.

I'm definitely glad I don't have any requirements for something ultralight and packable.
My go to for the coldest weather is the good 'ol US m65 with liner ( I've got a '77 and an '83 ) and they are not lightweight nor packable at all.
They're honestly pretty heavy and I can definitely understand why this ultralight stuff might exist.

I found the llbean primaloft a few years ago and liked it so much I bought another. I wear it in ND down to 0 and if I need a little more a hoodie under it. I also pack one in a hunting vest to deer hunt in MT. Weighs next to nothing.

Cold is relative... I don't like the cold and feel it easily so that's one thing. I consider teens and single digits cold. Above that it's just winter :)
About 5 years ago I bought a Cabela's Iditarod Anorak. Same stuff they supplied workers for the famous sled race.
This is amazing. Lighter than my M65 by half. Wind proof and warmer. Single digits I'm fine with a t-shirt, flannel or dress shirt (for work) a fleece and the anorak. Teens I'd leave off the fleece. Twenties are too warm for the anorak and I'll wear the M65 and a hoodie or fleece under it.

I have a North Face Thermoball. They must've used Black Magic when they invented that technology.
It's amazingly warm for its volume and weight. Plus, it takes up no space under another jacket if it's really cold.

I am completely happy with Arcteryx. If I remember correctly the one I bought 8 years ago is a Fission SV. With a Ti shoulder, limited movement, and trouble carrying weight on it, I found the Arcteryx just can’t be beat. I e worn it in -25 degrees Fahrenheit with blowing wind wearing only a T shirt under it and was comfortable ( though my legs were burning, wind blew right threw my pants ). The cut and extremely lightweight make me feel like I’m not even wearing it and the durability is impressive as the jacket still looks like new. I’ve since bought a Hard Shell ( Theta ? ), an soft shell ( later gave to my brother in law since I just wore the hard shell ), and an atom ( mid layer ).
They may be pricey but the value is in the quality, versatility, durability, and longevity. Plus, they look damn good. I don’t ever see me buying from another manufacturer again.

I've had quite a few lightweight down jackets over the years, nothing really stands out as much as an old Marmot Mountain I bought in 1977. It was designed more as a ski jacket with plenty of shoulder room, a tapered fit with a snow skirt.

I have a Patagonia down sweater that I like. Fine for casual wear in dry weather. It is a slim fit and not very puffy. I get cold easy being an old fart and it feels pretty nice at 35. The Nano Puffs are pretty decent but the stitching coming loose is a weak spot.

I have a newer Marmot down puffer jacket with the down defender that keeps the down from getting soaked. It's super lightweight and with a compression sack, it packs very easily.

I just wanted to say thank you for this thread.
I'm just picking out a jacket for my husband, so all these tips are very helpful to me. He currently has a North Face, but it's time to upgrade

Specifically I was lloking for a extreme ultralight jacket for mild cold weather just around 33F (example London weather or SE USA weather). That has an "athletic cut fit" (narrow waste, short length). that packs up in a backpack without taking much space..Not using it for hiking, climbing, motorbike. etc

The Athletic cut does exist in these jackets but search functions don't mention that. So hard to find as most are taylored for fat guys.

This set of criteria ^ is answered by this post below by @barleywino. Just bought the ATOM AR hoody for myself and I love it. My go to jacket now in mid-coast Maine. Very light. Warm and windproof. Seems to reflect body heat almost immediately - like putting on a shirt out of the dryer. Add with a layer of prima loft vest or jacket and you can be comfortable well below mid-teens° F. Warmer days -up into the 50° over only a t-shirt and it still feels just right. Athletic fit for sure - my wife says it looks small on me but I call it sleek - fits close but allows room for another layer (the prima-lofts types or a sweater). I must admit that I don't care much for the hoody but it certainly works when needed, admittedly better than needing to think to attach it. Good protection from light rain too and did I say - windproof. Amazing technology that such a light weight jacket can do so much.

For winter, I'm a big fan of the Arcteryx atom AR hooded jacket. Warmer than the Atom LT. Not as warm as a big down filled jacket, but less bulky, superlight and more streamlined. You can layer underneath with sweaters or the incredibly warm Feathered Friends Helios down vest for added warmth.

Last edited:
I have a Patagonia nano puff and am not a fan. No water resistance, and in rain it often soaks through. Stitching quality is terrible, loose threads happen just looking at it. Plus, for me, it's not warm enough for sub 40° weather.

On the other hand, I've a lightweight down Marmot jacket I have had for 12 years. I just retired it. Still water resistant, but 12 years of wear (northwest of Chicago) it has lost a lot of down.

For Christmas I got a new one, this time with a hood. It is fantastic. I can't recommend Marmot enough.

I live right up by Lake Ontario and usually can get away with a thick fleece jacket, or one my leathers I wear when riding. If it is extremely cold a Carhart Hoodie the rain defender model under a thick Woolrich jacket with a hood. Never seen another Woolrich like the one I have either. Very old but very service able and USA made. stay safe

This year for the first time in many years I bought something nicer than the Walmart clearance Walls coats I've been using---actually pretty decent coats.

I got a Kuhl jacket----basically a jean jacket but much more stylish---I bought one size larger than normal and then bought a normal size Columbia fleece jacket ---with this combo, I'm usually roasting but I can un-layer and switch out as needed.

I also bought a Patagonia goose down parka which they had on sale for $115 off normal----its a sweet coat and I haven't over heated the times I've worn it but it is big and bulky.

Back