What is the best way to split an antler for a full tang handle?

Yea, so one of the first knives I want to make might have a stag handle. My biggest fear right now is messing the antler up by trying to cut it in half.

Also, I often wonder what you do if the handle is too thick, can you sand it down or will that ruin the outter appearance of the horn??

First you look at it for about a week figuring where to cut.;) I glue mine to a board and slice it with my Grizzly bandsaw. If you want to preserve the outside texture, cut the excess from the inside.

On the few occasions I needed an exact split, I hot glued it to a board and ran it through the band saw.

If you're splitting it - hacksaw / band saw here..

Then you are going to sand the insides that you just cut to be flat.

If you need to reduce thickness after that - keep sanding the insides, not the outsides.

I've tried using the tablesaw and the bandsaw but both felt odd to me. I didn't really trust holding that awkward shape that close to either blade. Now I clamp it in a vise and cut it with a sawzall. I like it a lot better
I'll have to try the hot glue trick though, that's a good idea. Also, it's going to smell bad and probably isn't good for you. I use a respirator and try to make the cutting and flattening the last thing I do in the shop that day.

Back