What is the difference between regular CF and "peel ply""?

Spyderco has three types of CF handle materials:

1. CARBON FIBER
  2. CARBON FIBER/G-10 LAMINATE
  3. PEEL-PLY CARBON FIBER

Peel-ply and CF/G-10 laminate last longer than "natural" CF.

de92bf09bc82662f62f705a509f12a44_zps876a0980.jpg

Which is better as far as grip, durability, etc.?
Two things, surface texture and appearance. Peel-ply CF has a surface texture like that of peel-ply G-10, although the CF's texture is more durable than that of G-10. It also has a more subdued look compared to matte, gloss, or twill CF, but offers more traction. As for which is most durable among the various CF surface treatments, it's a hard call since all are quite durable.

PEEL-PLY:

stretch.jpg

MATTE:

caly_3.jpg

GLOSS:

civilian.jpg

TWILL:

terzuola_slipit.jpg

I'm glad I spotted this thread. I've been wondering about the difference between the various types of cf handles too. Also , those pics are beautiful.

Here's a picture of the various Spyderco CF. The CF on the Southard is aftermarket.

From top to bottom:

• Para-Military2 - Peel-Ply
  • Southard
  • Domino - CF/G-10 Laminate
  • Rubicon - CF
  • Sage1 - CF/G-10 Laminate
  • Native5 - Peel-Ply
  • Caly3 - CF

d20df4d8-9d1c-4c64-aaa0-7922b07bed01_zps090b9a5c.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures and info, thanks to all for the education. I get it!

Is one type lighter weight?

Great pictures and info, thanks to all for the education. I get it!

Is one type lighter weight?
Weight will be more a factor of thickness than type, and all types of CF composites come in a variety of thicknesses. That's also true when comparing the relative weights of CF and G-10 as well. Even on a knife the size of the new Tatanka, the difference between CF composites of equal thickness with different surface finishes would be a couple grams, tops.

That peelply CF looks amazing! Anyone know if sheets are available to purchase? I want some but wouldn’t want to buy a spyderco to get it. My BM 950 would be perfect with it

That peelply CF looks amazing! Anyone know if sheets are available to purchase? I want some but wouldn’t want to buy a spyderco to get it. My BM 950 would be perfect with it
They do sell it at some knife making websites. I think a&j carbon also have some but you have to email them for it as it's not on the website.

Anyone can make it. Peel ply can be applied to any composite material. Carbon, g10, Kevlar, combination of several materials etc.

They would use a thin layer with several holes for epoxy to escape and make a more even composite rather than some areas of the composite having more or less epoxy.

After peeling off this layer it leaves the peel ply texture.

Another more recent thread
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/carbon-fiber-scales.1554997/

Back