What is the Easiest Sword to Learn How to Use?

Curious, folks. I'm kind of new to the board and I'm interested in learning how to fight with a sword.

Not for Hollywood, not for competition, but for real life BG's (or zombies) breaking into the house (yes, I've got guns,and they can be a lot more useful, but let's pretend we don't), or even to carry (as clandestinely as possible) on the street.

Anyone with experience out there at actually learning how to fight with a sword? If so, which ones are the easiest to pick up on, technique-wise?

I realize some of it will inevitably come down to personal prference, and still more will boil down to your build. But what style, in general is the easiest to learn how to use effectively (not "expertly") for self-defense?

an italian foil is probably the easiest to learn if ur looking to start in european sword fighting. Its mostly fencing and is a short sharp quick moving blade with emphasis on thrusting with the tip. then again pretty useless on zombies lol. but if ur looking for a sword for self defense in ur house you cant go wrong with chineese war swords katanas and machetes

I'm going to be very curious with the variety of responses, because I don't think there is anything close to an easy answer. Some swords are easier for some people, but no sword is easier for all.

I think Hugh's on the right track--a short sword like a gladius will be a little easier to handle initially as it's more balanced and can be used one-handed. But that's only true to a certain point in one's ability.

It would be helpful to know Randytulsa2's interests and preferences w/r/t to Eastern or Western, long or short, back swords or not.

I would suggest taking an IADO class to learn how to use a katana, for grievous injury to your adversary, accept no substitute... except maybe a desert eagle (gun) and they jam... A LOT.

I'm no expert by any mean, but I think a really impotant question is also, self defense in qhat context? In your house or out on the street?
I'm suspecting in your house, it doesn't seem likely that you'll be walking around with a sword under normal circumstances. And if you're talking in your house, I'd say something short. You might be standing too close to doors and furniture to swing a long blade, and the bad guy might already be too close for the extra reach to provide any advantage.

Get a Shotgun. :D
I only have one sword, a Busse AK-47. This is about as long as you would want to get for use indoors (29" overall length) Taking lessons with a sword would be good, but just practicing cutting things other than yourself might be good enough. You aren't going to be sword fighting, even in a worst case scenario. If someone came in my place with a sword, I doubt I would square off for a duel.

hahah shotguns work too! id love to get one of the Busse ak-47 swords, i thought originally it was a silly name (didnt know it was a busse at first) and would probably be an ugly Blade (the show/movie inspired" "tactical sword", then i looked at it.... i was sooooooooo wrong.

If/when i get the cash i plan on getting one. lol.

In Kung-Fu, there are two main swords used. One is the GIM (or straight sword) which was typically carried by "rich guys" who could afford to spend more time training with it. The other is called the darn-dao which looks a bit like a machete. Basically you just hack away with it (by comparison). In any case, I wouldn't use any edged weapon without several years of training.

Also, here in my home state of Texas, you are better off (from a legal perspective) shooting someone than defending yourself with an edged weapon.

I'm going to agree with Watchful here. I don't think any type of live blade is "easy" to learn. Every discipline sport, art, or practical application has its degree of difficulty as well as unique signature. Some better for you than others.

If you are looking for practicality (as if it is actually practical in everyday use to employ edged weapons these days... from a legal standpoint that is, ) then you may want to look to the Philippino Martial Arts as they make excellent use of edged weapons of all sizes. I train in Sayoc Kali, but have only applied short blades in class thus far. (Naturally I'm going to be a little biased here... ;-) Another would be Atienza Kali. While I have not trained with the Atienza brothers, they come highly rated and seem to employ larger blades in training.

I feel an immersion in one of these blade concentrated arts would give anyone a good foundation with a variety of blade shapes and sizes and therefore facilitate someone's search for the "right" fit.

Iaido on the other hand is a beautiful Japanese art which focuses on the drawing, cutting, and returning the blade in fluid motion. It's solo work and opponents are "imaginary" during practice. If your preference is more to Japanese traditions, then you may want to check it out, along with Kenjutsu (which focuses more on sword combat/dueling exercises) and Battojutsu (which focuses on quick drawing and applied cutting.)

Hope this helps a bit and doesn't bore anyone!

Good luck!

- BSM ->

Wednesdays are usually slower here at BF, so in the interest of sparking some controversy :) , here's the training options. The following opinions are MINE, but I've tried to play devil's advocate and list common perceptions, right or wrong. In that respect, I don't agree with some of the items I myself have posted.

1. Self-taught. Okay if you want to experiment with cutting objects, and light "thrust work," but usually not a good idea. Swords are one of those things you just can't figure out on your own. You might think you've got it, but even ten minutes with someone that knows something about swords can make dramatic improvements in your cutting and attacks.

2. WMA - Reconstructed. These guys can quote nearly every fight book ever written, and strain to discover new techniques in centuries old writing. They operate under the very reasonable theory that the guys who know best about swords are the ones who used them daily. Of course, there's no modern tradition--so no masters you can ask to settle disputes--and to be fair, a lot of this is interpretation with no guarantee of being correct. There is some balkanization of German vs Italian vs English, but generally these folks all seem to study each other's texts as it relates to their prefered sword type and share information.

3. WMA - New Material. On the other hand, these are people who treat swords as modern weapons. The old texts have a lot of merit, but those were written in different times for different situations. Instead, focus on today: what techniques can you do with a sword, regardless of whether it has historical precedence. I'm interested in this approach, but there's not a whole lot of information out there yet. On the other hand, a good criticism is that this is reinventing the wheel, with less of a probability of learning whether your techniques really work outside of sparring.

4. Kenjutsu - Really, a family of Japanese styles that I'm not qualified to separate or go into. The advantage of a JSA (Japanese sword art) is that you generally have a long, lengthy tradition of teachers and students, and can double-check your techniques or ask clarifying questions. On the other hand, many of the JSA are 19th Century reconstructions themselves, since the sword arts fell into some disuse (more than many JSA folks will admit). WMA enthusiasts are quick to point out that the JSA practitioners haven't really verified their techniques under real combat situations either... but of course are pretty much guilty of the same charge they level.

5. Iaido - Another JSA with numerous subdivisions I can't get into. Iaido is very popular, for all the reasons Okuden listed. However, a common criticism by non-Iaidoka is that drawing a sword against imaginary opponents is not actually sword combat, and many Iaidoka experimenting with other Eastern and Western sword enthusiasts in informal cross-training opportunities do not fare well. I've found Iaidoka very tricky though, and very good at the one move, one kill technique.

6. Battojitsu - I have extremely limited knowledge of this; anyone care to list pros and cons?

7. Kendo and Fencing - Why list these two very different styles together? Because they're both sport forms, heavily modified away from combat use. I agree that they lend themselves as "significantly better than nothing," but I can't shake that feeling that sport forms without a combat infrastructure won't provide as much as a fighter would need.

Please note there are Chinese and Korean styles I have not listed here. I went after the ones better known. Basically, I have worked with a few styles--some of which are too obscure to list here--and found that all of them are ultimately better than self-taught.

Okay... if anyone's game, let the clarifications/corrections/disputations begin!

What is the Easiest Sword to Learn How to Use?

There is no such thing as an "Easy" sword to learn. It's not fast food, learning to use a sword takes time and understanding regardless of it's shape and size.

Gladius or Bowie knife...

It's not about style, it's about effect - so anything goes. Go to the woods and for start chop some trees or straw...and I know that it isn't easy...

i'd say the eisiest sword to learn to use would be a machette or other chopping sword.

something short enough to use effectively indoors. a katana doesn't lend itself to bedroom or hallway fighting, and neither does a broadsword. the gladius is a great choice, so is the falcata. a falcata is basically a 2 foot long kukri. it lends itself to short overhead chopping strikes (perfect for destroying zombie brains). jim Hrisoulas has a goo writeup of onehere
it really doesn't take much practice to get the hang of one of these, just chop with it like it's a large hatchet.

Axes are relatively simple to get the hang of ;) (for the sake of simplicity, smaller axes = hatchets) while hatchets are quicker, may have less edge, but are more agile. Maces, hammers, and other blunt weapons are also decent choices.

Swords:
For two-handed use:
Probably a Chinese dadao (the smaller, heavier kind -think of a very thick cleaver with a large handle (1/2 to 3/4 the length of the blade) and an S guard. Something similar would work as well.
One-handed use: Machete: relatively thin stock machete/kukri (just above "brush use"). Some double-edge swords might work too. Heavier falchions or messers are also a bit simpler to use.

Either way, it'll require a great deal of effort, mental and physical, to really learn ANYTHING to the point of competence. Swordsmanship is no exception.

zirosi said:
Gladius or Bowie knife...

It's not about style, it's about effect - so anything goes. Go to the woods and for start chop some trees or straw...and I know that it isn't easy...
A gladius is not primarily a chopping weapon, although it will certainly accomplish that function. It was designed and intended to be used as a close-quarters thrusting or stabbing weapon. I would suggest that you read up a bit on Roman military history before making posts such as the above,

FullerH said:
A gladius is not primarily a chopping weapon, although it will certainly accomplish that function. It was designed and intended to be used as a close-quarters thrusting or stabbing weapon. I would suggest that you read up a bit on Roman military history before making posts such as the above,

I would suggest you that you learn to read better before making such claims.

My post was about use and learning, not about tehniques...

:jerkit:

FullerH said:

You migh want to jump off the Scholar tracks and broaden your perspective of the Gladius you might be supprised.

I am very well aware that the gladius could be used for slicing and dicing. Livy and Polybius both refer to the horror with which the Greeks and Macedonians viewed the dismembered bodies of their troops. But my point was that the blade was designed for thrusting and that going out into the woods to chop branches is hardly good practice for its most efficient use, especially in a limited space where you cannot swing it. That is where its stabbing ability comes into play and that can only be developed by practicing at stabbing. Were I to be trying to learn how to use my Gladius Hispaniensis, I would do as the Romans did and drive a stake into my backyard and set to it as they did, practicing stabs and slashes. It might be improved by wrapping it in padding and then wrapping some sort of durable but replaceable cover around it.

Back