What is the lifespan on the omega springs.

Hey guys, I never had an issue in the past, but I would like to have an idea of what to expect with this type of lock. I don't use my knives a lot, but the axis lock is kind of fun to play with, so my Presidio 2 gets opened and closed fairly often.
How often would you suggest sending it in to get the springs replaced? For those of you that have had an omega spring to break, about how long did it take for this to happen?

Some break, some don't. It's really that simple. If one breaks, send it in for repair (as unfortunately, they do not typically send out internal parts).

I've got a few 710 knives that go back to the first year of production. Used a lot, never a broken spring.

It all seems to depend on a knife to knife basis. The Omega springs used must not be uniform enough to expect a regular wear pattern. Then there are other factors like tempurature or potential corrosion.

It all seems to depend on a knife to knife basis. The Omega springs used must not be uniform enough to expect a regular wear pattern. Then there are other factors like tempurature or potential corrosion.

This makes a lot of sense. I have heard of springs lasting only a few months, and otbers lasting as long as ten years. I spoke with Benchmade customer service and she told me to send them in about every 3 months to have the springs replaced. I have been told that 3 months sounds a little to frequent though.

There's no rhyme or reason with Omega springs; but I think sending your knives in every three months is excessive. :cool:

This makes a lot of sense. I have heard of springs lasting only a few months, and otbers lasting as long as ten years. I spoke with Benchmade customer service and she told me to send them in about every 3 months to have the springs replaced. I have been told that 3 months sounds a little to frequent though.

Every 3 months?!?!?! That's completely absurd!!! :eek: :rolleyes: That CS rep obviously didn't have a clue...

I had springs break in my 943, but that's the only Axis knife I've ever had it happen with, and I have quite a few. Speaking from my personal experience, broken Omega springs are not a problem that's really worth wasted time worrying about.

There are TWO Omega springs in each Axis locked knife, and the lock will function perfectly fine with just a single Omega spring. I carried my 943 like that for almost a year before the other spring finally let go and I was forced to send the knife in (that's about the only time that knife has been out of my back pocket in ~13+ years). Being that it's a redundant system, and chances of both springs failing at the same time are very low, there isn't really a reason a person should worry about lock operation failure. If one of the springs does break, send it in before the other one breaks, it's that simple (don't wait until the other breaks like I did). ;) :thumbsup:

Every three months? And what if you don't live in America?

I'm in the U.S, so it would only be a small pain in the butt since I live on the opposite side of the country. I bet it would be a mega pain in the butt for someone that lives in another country.

Every time a folder comes into Canada if the pivot is loose enough that it can be inertia shaken out then the customs agents can take it away.

Every time a folder comes into Canada if the pivot is loose enough that it can be inertia shaken out then the customs agents can take it away.

What does this have to do with the discussion here??? o_O

What does this have to do with the discussion here??? o_O

It has to do with the fact that if I have to send my folder in every three months I would be worried about it every time it came back.

Now the recommended every three months obviously seems abit ludacris.

It has to do with the fact that if I have to send my folder in every three months I would be worried about it every time it came back.

Now the recommended every three months obviously seems abit ludacris.

Ah, you're in Canada, I didn't know that (really wish location still showed on the posts like it used to). Yeah, that could cause some worry.

I can't remember where I read this (maybe in the BM forum?) that Benchmade recommends using both of the axis buttons at the same time, instead of just one. Most of the breakages were from just using one button.

I've never broken a spring on any of my Benchmades (some bought new, some bought used) in five or so years of use. I can list off at least 20 friends just off the top of my head that own at least one Benchmade. None of them have ever said anything about a spring breaking. I don't get why being scared of the spring breaking is repeated so much on this forum. If for some strange reason it does break, simply send it in to get fixed for free. Just relax and enjoy your knife. Whether intentional or not, that potential issue seems way overblown on this forum.

What GatorMedic says deserves a second motion. I have a mostly Axis based collection; in twelve years not one failed spring.

I can't remember where I read this (maybe in the BM forum?) that Benchmade recommends using both of the axis buttons at the same time, instead of just one. Most of the breakages were from just using one button.

When I first started buying Benchmade, I used only one side of the axis lock. I have a habit of using both sides now, which is the proper way to use the axis lock.

I've got a few 710 knives that go back to the first year of production. Used a lot, never a broken spring.

Quoting myself here, but just to make it really clear, there are only a couple of individuals in the world who have had an Axis-lock knife longer than I have (Joe may be one of them!), and I have owned many scores of Axis folders. I use these knives, some of them A LOT, and I have never had a spring break. Never, not ever.

When I first started buying Benchmade, I used only one side of the axis lock. I have a habit of using both sides now, which is the proper way to use the axis lock.

I unlocked Axis folders for many years using only one side of the bar. No. broken. springs. Not. One. Ever. ;)

Back