What is the One "Must Have" Knife?

Obviously, this is not a very good question in many respects because everyone has different tastes, different environments, different needs, etc.

But if you could list one or more "must have" knife, either for function, aesthetics, collection value, enjoyment, or whatever, what would you list?

Please try not to list really obscure items. Let's stick to knives that most people can readily purchase.

So the question is, if you are a knife enthusiast, what knife should you absolutely try owning and/or using at least once?

A few years ago I'd had a list like this.
1) BM 940
2) BM Grip
3) Esee 6
4) BK (take your pick)
5) CRK (see BK)

Now?
1) All of the knives.

I see you are a big Benchmade fan. Not surprising to see the 940 here. Not for me, but I can see why it is so popular.

For me the one I can't go without is a Swiss army knife. Pick your flavor.

For me, it is the Explorer Plus:
Two blades, two openers with screwdriver tips, scissors, magnifier, inline Phillips, corkscrew with eyeglass screwdriver, awl, hook, pen, pin, toothpick and tweezers.

I'll deal with the soft, non-locking blades in exchange for the tools.

I see you are a big Benchmade fan. Not surprising to see the 940 here. Not for me, but I can see why it is so popular.

Funny thing is, I've owned 50+ BM's, including three 940's & sold them all w/ the exception of my second 950. Thing is there are many things out there that can & will change our preconceived notions on items we just see. Didn't think I'd ever like, much less own a CRK. I never thought a Mora could do what it does at that price point. That's why now...I must try everything! :confused:

As a blade enthusiast and knifemaker, one of these five easily get 95% or more of my use
  • 8" chef's knife - I'm making my own in this upcoming AEBL batch but have been using a Wutshof classic that was a gift
  • quality pocket knife - I usually carry my Leatherman Juice S2 which isn't the greatest knife but I find the tools to be very, very useful in my daily occupation as an occupational therapist and in the field to maintain/adjust gear. If I had to pick my favorite folder it would likely be a small Sebenza but I no longer own any high end pocket knives because my Leatherman is what I actually carry and use.
  • Small fixed blade such as a paring knife in size of a design that can be useful in the kitchen, field, and around the house - I use my Polk Small Game Hunter for this role and I actually often carry it EDC in addition to my Leatherman
  • 4-5" sturdy fixed blade for the field - I use my Polk Woodsman for this role
  • Utility blade knife...yes the one with cheap replaceable blades that snap off because sometimes you want to cut stuff and don't want to have to maintain or repair an edge on the knives you care about.

Obviously, this is not a very good question in many respects because everyone has different tastes, different environments, different needs, etc.

But if you could list one or more "must have" knife, either for function, aesthetics, collection value, enjoyment, or whatever, what would you list?

Please try not to list really obscure items. Let's stick to knives that most people can readily purchase.

So the question is, if you are a knife enthusiast, what knife should you absolutely try owning and/or using at least once?

Sebenza 21.

There are nicer, newer, sexier, better steel, faster opening, more smooth action, sleeker, flashier, etc. knives out there but;

None of them are as nice at being a slim sleek strong pocket knife that you just want to carry. There are many contenders but Sebbie is gold standard for a reason.

2v2EeE45WxAWtWs.jpg
Benchmade Rukus 610 -- best knife of all time

I will put up the Spyderco PM2. Everyone needs this at some point in their knife life. You can go up or down one model to the millie or PM3, but this is such a staple for so many reasons.

On the upper end of the production/mid-tech spectrum would be Shirogorov, and of those I would propose the F95T "Turtle". Once you have one in hand you say, "Ahhh! THIS is what I have been missing."

Back