What is this knife?

49504067141_bcc482096f_o_d.jpg

This knife has been sitting in a drawer for a few decades and is in pretty poor condition. I don’t know the manufacturer and I’m curious to see if I can get a replacement or if I will have to get it restored.

Last edited:
Di
don’t think it’s advertising, no text on the handle. Also my grandfather has never been too into bowling
Any advertising ink is well rubbed off by now... I have a matchbook from a strip joint in my junk drawer, doesn't mean Im "into" it.:)

Hmm, looks exactly the same except for the logo at the base of the blade, mine doesn’t have that. It might be hidden underneath all the rust, or it could have rubbed off. Is Hammer still a thing?

Any advertising ink is well rubbed off by now... I have a matchbook from a strip joint in my junk drawer, doesn't mean Im "into" it.:)
I just found some text at the Base of the blade, I think it says something like patnos

Hmm, looks exactly the same except for the logo at the base of the blade, mine doesn’t have that. It might be hidden underneath all the rust, or it could have rubbed off. Is Hammer still a thing?
I haven't a clue. I just typed in "Bowling pin knife" into Google...:D

I just found some text at the Base of the blade, I think it says something like patnos

Patent numbers...
Imperial frequently put Pat Nos on the blade. That knife is an Imperial Hammer Brand bowling pin knife. Its a shell construction knife, the handles are thin sheets of celuloid wrapped over the steel shell handle.
Not worth restoring IMO, just a cheap novelty item from the 50s and 60s.

Patent numbers...
Imperial frequently put Pat Nos on the blade. That knife is an Imperial Hammer Brand bowling pin knife. Its a shell construction knife, the handles are thin sheets of celuloid wrapped over the steel shell handle.
Not worth restoring IMO, just a cheap novelty item from the 50s and 60s.

Yep, probably handed them out for a decent score, to league members, etc.

It is an old imperial, being a bowling pin novelty knife it's probably not going to be all that practical of a user if " restored " but the blade should be pretty decent steel and would make a good deal knife for opening mail and such.
In my experience imperials were cheaply constructed but are still generic good usable knives with a steel I quite like.
It easily takes a razor edge.

49504067141_bcc482096f_o_d.jpg

This knife has been sitting in a drawer for a few decades and is in pretty poor condition. I don’t know the manufacturer and I’m curious to see if I can get a replacement or if I will have to get it restored.

I found a very rubbed off HammerBrand logo on one side and PAT.NOS 2034973 on the other. I don’t think it’s too good of a knife and it isn’t much my style, but I’ll keep it for the comedic value that my grandfather kept a tiny hunting knife and a tiny folding knife in a drawer for a few decades and decided to leave the cleanup to me when he gave them to me, lol.

Back