Photos What is up with this Norlund Axe

Hey guys, long time lurker here, decided to ask a question.

I picked up this pretty much unused Norlund "Tomahawk" the other day and noticed a weird thing going on with the Butt/Poll. It has a straight line ridge going down the middle, which makes it useless for pounding stuff unless I grind it down.

Is this normal? Did someone forget to grind it flat at the factory?

Also, It has a STEEP SHORT bevel that I hate. Is this how they came from the factory, so you can sharpen it yourself? Whats the best way to fix it?

Thanks!

20180519_214047_zpsoiguxkir.jpg

20180519_214021_zps3iccl3s0.jpg

20180519_213947_zpsuqyljjix.jpg

How likely is it a fake? I've searched everywhere for "fake norlunds" and come up with nothing substantial differentiating the two. Thanks for the input

Could you send a few pics of the stamp?
People have been known to fake high value axes. I have never seen a line like that on the pole of norlund. Could it be a factory second?

My impression from your pictures is that it is likely a “Norlund” and definitely the right pattern but it was made later on when production became a bit “sloppy”.

Probably nothing wrong with the axe but an axe should end up rough from use, not from leaving production.

Same for the rafting pattern Collins/Mann heads and factory production. It doesn’t necessarily mean it was made elsewhere or a fake, just that it may have been made after the attention to quality and finish was tossed out for “it’s an axe and it is stamped”.

Stickers/labels go a long ways to sales.

It's probably just rougly ground.
These were inexpensive axes and hatchets sold in discount stores and and it's not hard to imagine one leaving the factory like this, especially a late production one.

Btw the poll of an axe isn't a hammer and the narrow poll / shallow eye Hudson bay pattern is not exactly great for pounding or really any heavy work as they tend to come loose.
I'd wager the HB pattern is really just good for hatchets.

Could you send a few pics of the stamp?
People have been known to fake high value axes. I have never seen a line like that on the pole of norlund. Could it be a factory second?

I've attached the stamp by the poll and the stamp that was attached to it but fell off.
Norlund%20Sticker_zpsfpfiqckk.png

20180520_181954_zpsrk3bfmsp.jpg

My impression from your pictures is that it is likely a “Norlund” and definitely the right pattern but it was made later on when production became a bit “sloppy”.

Probably nothing wrong with the axe but an axe should end up rough from use, not from leaving production.

Same for the rafting pattern Collins/Mann heads and factory production. It doesn’t necessarily mean it was made elsewhere or a fake, just that it may have been made after the attention to quality and finish was tossed out for “it’s an axe and it is stamped”.

Tell me about the later production? So this axe is most likely from the 80s then? Why did they not care as much about quality? Just a little curious of Norlunds History :)

Most likely not fake but a later mode. Quality drop off in axes was common in the 80s. Demand had been dropping for years and all the US axe makers were gone or barley holding on.

It's probably just rougly ground.
These were inexpensive axes and hatchets sold in discount stores and and it's not hard to imagine one leaving the factory like this, especially a late production one.

Btw the poll of an axe isn't a hammer and the narrow poll / shallow eye Hudson bay pattern is not exactly great for pounding or really any heavy work as they tend to come loose.
I'd wager the HB pattern is really just good for hatchets.
discount store?? They were sold through canadian tire, which at the time was a good store such as sears once was. Even outfitters around my parts had these axes. Definitely were not discount store axes.

This.

I think you have an axe that left the factory unground. Given the current infatuation with Norlund axes it should have some value in it's original state. I would definitely leave it as is.

Can we see another picture of the whole axe showing the bit?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Any more advice, help is much appreciated. Here are some more pictures. It has a metal wedge in the eye, don't know if that signifies later manufacture or not but thats what I would guess.
20180521_120401_zpstki87y2k.jpg

20180521_120429_zpsepbp2gbt.jpg

20180521_120443_zpsbqkhj4zz.jpg

20180521_120414_zpslxqzeudh.jpg

I would say it is late model Norlund. Off center wedge, sh.....ty grinding job. Probably produced on Monday morning, day after Super Bowl binge drinking.
The good thing, unless the heat treatment is messed up you can sharpen and re-haft it straight.

Last edited:
discount store?? They were sold through canadian tire, which at the time was a good store such as sears once was. Even outfitters around my parts had these axes. Definitely were not discount store axes.
I've been told by many people here in the states who vividly remember seeing them in discount stores as a kid.
Maybe not in Canada, but here in the states yes.

These were not high end axes, they may have a cult following based on the false notion that some guy " went to Sweden to learn how to make axes " but they are known to actually be quite average.
They would not have even really been a hardware store item, hardware store axes didn't come in packaging like this.

Everything Norlund of most recent manufacture is real crap.
Your example, if you desire, will clean up just fine with hand or power tools.

Little Norlunds like that were always seen a discount, sporting good, bait & tackle shops. I bought mine in ’77 only because it was a buck or so cheaper than similar Craftsman. I did not know or care about axe styles, just needed a small axe for an upcoming trip. Its done well.

Btw, mine has orange tape, not paint.

Looks like the eye is punched at a skew to the rest of the head, even.

The "line" on the poll is the parting seam from the drop forging, and was normally ground off. It would have gone all the way around the head. Someone just forgot to grind it off the poll on this one.

I have a Norlund like this. On one side it is stamped Genuine Norlund, on the other Tomahawk, and on the decal it says it is a Hudson Bay axe. And it has that root-beer lacquer or whatever all over the head. The poll is nicely ground and finished and the handle is very nicely shaped. I think it is from the 60s or 70s. The fit and finish and quality of the axe which this thread is about is amazingly poor, like something I would expect to see on a tool at Harbor Freight today. It will be interesting to see if others like it start showing up. Wherever it is from it is pretty sad.

Someone will give you a lot more than it's worth.From your ads on the auction site you seem pretty well read on axes,would think you would know about norlunds.

Back