What is your favorite DDR design element?

Darrel's been my favorite knife designer for years. I've been thinking about why, exactly, since there are obviously so many talented designers out there, and came to a few realizations.

For me, I think it's the fact that Darrel contours the handles in more than just 2 dimensions, while so many knives are blocky in the 3rd dimension. However, that's not a universal across all DDR knives, so I'd have to say that my favorite design element that's more universal would have to be Darrel's ability to get a great blade/handle ratio. Darrel's also got a great eye for aesthetics, in my opinion.

What about you all? What makes you an HTM/DDR Crew member, from a design perspective?

Same. Blade to handle ratio for me. It would also have to be his blade profiles. Some of them, especially the custom ones, are insane.

My favorite thing, uh the fact that all his designs are very different from everything else. He is creative on a whole other level guys. Even his Ti frame locks aren't just another Ti frame lock to be lumped in with the masses.

My favorite thing are the unique designs of his knives. There are a lot of custom makers out there who produce very similar style knives to other makers but Darrel's designs stand alone and are in my opinion the best looking custom and semi-customs out there, very original.

There is just something about Darrel's blades. I carry a couple of very plain Camillus Heat and CUDA EDC knives designed by Darrel, and they work better, cut better and feel better than knives that are much more expensive. I guess it is the blade/handle proportions, but the handle feels right and the blade works right - even in knives that look very different. I am drawn to his folding knives like no other maker. I think you have to find your way with any hand tool. I have hammers that never accomplish what I think I want when I swing them. I have some old hammers that drive a nail with one stroke every time. Darrel can make a blade that is a natural extension of your hand. Not every knife feels that way.

I love the profile of the handles. The Gunhammer in particular has a wonderful hourglass shape that fits the hand in just the right way. The blades are also perfectly ground for both aesthetics AND functionality.

When you see a DDR knife, you know right away that it is a piece of art as well as a fine example of machining and engineering.

Back